The Challenge Factory discussion

2013 ♦Archives Buddy Read ♦ > December Buddy Read Discussion Thread

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (last edited Nov 21, 2013 02:14AM) (new)

Denise (destiny_chan) | 5837 comments Mod
Buddy Read

December Buddy Read Discussion
Duration: 01 December 2013 - 31 December 2013

Instructions & Info:

Rules:

Use this thread to find your buddy and determine your book! You can always start by posting books, authors or genres you are interested in! When you decide who you buddy and your book you will head on over to the FINAL SIGN UP thread (see link at bottom) and tell me your book and buddy there (there will be instructions to follow) If you are without a partner by the end of sign up I will match the remaining people up, so no worries...EVERYONE will have a buddy:-)

1.If you want to participate post your name and maybe let people know what genre(s) you are interested in reading and or any books that you're interested in reading.

2.If you already know who you’d like to read with, go to the Final Sign Up thread and post your information for me!

3.Whoever doesn’t have a partner, we will place with another person and you guys can pick a book together! If we have an odd number we can have groups of three, more people to discuss with!

4.I will create Buddy Discussion Threads for each Buddy group and you will be able to start reading and discussing.

5.The challenge will span a month.

6.For each group we can set up a thread so the two of you can discuss without having to sift through a bunch of other conversation. But please leave us updates as to how far along you guys are and how you’re liking the book!

7.You CAN sign up for more than one Buddy Read...in fact it's encouraged! And I'm giving a full month just for reading this time around so it will give you more time for more books!!!

ANY QUESTIONS JUST ASK!

Once you have a buddy, go to the December Sign Up Thread and post your book and your buddy.

message 2: by Gea (last edited Nov 24, 2013 03:29PM) (new)

Gea (gea89) | 824 comments These are some of the books I'm reading in December:

I Love the Earl (The Truth About the Duke #0.5) by Caroline Linden Falling for the Marine (McCade Brothers, #2) by Samanthe Beck The Raven Prince (Princes Trilogy, #1) by Elizabeth Hoyt No Good Duke Goes Unpunished (The Rules of Scoundrels, #3) by Sarah MacLean Without Reservations (With or Without #1) by J.L. Langley Sweet Inspiration (Klaus Brothers, #1) by Penny Watson Forever Black (Forever Trilogy, #1) by Sandi Lynn Only For You (For You, #1) by Genna Rulon Changing The Game (Play by Play, #2) by Jaci Burton The Cutting Edge by Linda Howard

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (krystalamanda) My name is Amanda and i really love horror/mystery books but i'm willing to also give other genres a chance (except for romance!)

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Hey guys! Here's this month's list of books I own and need to read!
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5) by J.K. Rowling Firehorse by Diane Lee Wilson Tender Morsels by Margo Lanagan After by Amy Efaw Star Wolf (Wolves of the Beyond, #6) by Kathryn Lasky Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone by Kat Rosenfield Riding Lessons (Riding Lessons, #1) by Sara Gruen Room by Emma Donoghue Enthralled Paranormal Diversions by Melissa Marr Shards and Ashes by Melissa Marr The Forest of Hands and Teeth (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #1) by Carrie Ryan Beautiful by Amy Reed Frankenstein (Penguin Classics) by Mary Shelley Snaring Night Book 1 of the Scar Trilogy by Amanda Lee Knauss Rapture (Fallen, #4) by Lauren Kate Stormy Hill's Legacy by Nancy Clarke Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1) by Moira Young Enna Burning (The Books of Bayern, #2) by Shannon Hale

message 5: by Orikamane (new)

Orikamane I would like to participate :) I like cosy mysteries, detective stories and high fantasy. I have never read any decent urban fantasy or contemporary romance and do not want to :)

message 6: by Holly (new)

Holly (bsbabey) Lauren, I also have Room and have been meaning to read it. Want to be buddies?

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Sure Holly, I'll sign us up!

message 8: by Jason (last edited Nov 21, 2013 08:12PM) (new)

Jason Here are some books I've been meaning to read, let me know if anyone's interested.

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin Misery by Stephen King Under the Dome by Stephen King Roots The Saga of an American Family by Alex Haley I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass by Frederick Douglass The Quick and the Dead by Louis L'Amour I Wear the Black Hat Grappling With Villains (Real and Imagined) by Chuck Klosterman 'Salem's Lot by Stephen King Twilight Eyes by Dean Koontz Watchers by Dean Koontz The Souls of Black Folk by W.E.B. Du Bois The Green Mile by Stephen King The Lost World (Jurassic Park, #2) by Michael Crichton Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom Utopia by Thomas More Paradise Lost by John Milton

I also have a bunch of Stephen King books and Nero Wolfe mysteries sitting on my shelf so if there's one of those types that you're interested in reading let me know cause I'll probably be down if I have it.

I'll edit this post as I think of more books.

message 9: by Aishwarya (new)

Aishwarya Kumar (achchu) hi I am Aishwarya and I love fictions. .. any fiction buddy readers ?

message 10: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Vazquez Hi, my name is Barbara and I'm from Spain. I would like to read some Dickens this December, anybody willing to join me? We can chose which one together.

message 11: by Ericka (new)

Ericka annamarie (annamarielebeau) howdy, my name is ericka and i would love to read some fantasy,horror,ya or anything holiday related.

message 12: by Christina T (new)

Christina T (crysteena73) | 750 comments Gea wrote: "These are some of the books I'm reading in December:

I Love the Earl (The Truth About the Duke #0.5) by Caroline Linden ..."

Gea...I'm still reading the book we're buddy reading for November but I also have I Love the Earl (The Truth About the Duke #0.5) by Caroline Linden in my TBR. It's a novella so it shouldn't take me ALLLLLLL month to read it but if you'd like to read it towards the end of the month I'll be more than likely to have it done by then.

message 13: by Christina T (new)

Christina T (crysteena73) | 750 comments I'm a really slow reader just so y'all know and am lucky to read 6 books a month (some months it's only half of that!) Anyway, here are a couple that I'm hoping to get to in December....

Dark Witch (The Cousins O'Dwyer Trilogy, #1) by Nora Roberts Return to Me (Last Chance Rescue, #2) by Christy Reece and To the Edge (Bodyguard, #1) by Cindy Gerard

message 14: by Katie (new)

Katie I'm Katie. I'm interested in reading fiction, biographies, memoirs, true crime. Basically I'll read anything except horror and romance.

message 15: by Gea (new)

Gea (gea89) | 824 comments Christina wrote: "Gea wrote: "These are some of the books I'm reading in December:

Gea...I'm still reading the book we're buddy reading for November but I also have ..."

I just looked couple of days ago if you finished but it didn't show the rating. Take your time, just finish it in November :P

lol I didn't even realize that book was a novella but we can read it together anyway :)

message 16: by Jennifer C. (new)

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments Katie wrote: "I'm Katie. I'm interested in reading fiction, biographies, memoirs, true crime. Basically I'll read anything except horror and romance."

Hi Katie! I just compared our TBR shelves. Are you interested in any of these for December?

The Beach Trees by Karen White Peaches (Peaches, #1) by Jodi Lynn Anderson Save Me by Lisa Scottoline Don't Breathe a Word by Jennifer McMahon

message 17: by Stephany (new)

Stephany (thebigmachine) Jason wrote: "Here are some books I've been meaning to read, let me know if anyone's interested.

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. MartinMisery by Stephen KingUnder the Dome by Stephen King[bookcover:Roots: Th..."

Do you want to read A Song of Ice & Fire or Notes from Underground together?

message 18: by Christina T (new)

Christina T (crysteena73) | 750 comments Gea wrote: "Christina wrote: "Gea wrote: "These are some of the books I'm reading in December:

Gea...I'm still reading the book we're buddy reading for November but ..."

Sounds good Gea. I've not read anything by Caroline Linden and this will be a good place to start.

message 19: by Jennifer C. (new)

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments Anyone want to read The Book Thief with me?

message 20: by Jason (last edited Nov 25, 2013 11:15PM) (new)

Jason Stephany wrote: Do you want to read A Song of Ice & Fire or Notes from Underground together?

Absolutely. Out of those two I'd prefer to read A Song of Ice and Fire 1, but if you'd rather read Notes from Underground that would be great too. I've been putting both of those books off for way too long ;-)

message 21: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

There are still quite a few people without a buddy! Those who haven't yet done so, I'd recommend posting a few books you'd like to read or looking for a post by someone interested in similar genres as yourself and having a look at their TBR. :)

message 22: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Vazquez Only sad little me is a Dickens fan around here? Really?

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens The Old Curiosity Shop by Charles Dickens Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens

message 23: by Christine (last edited Nov 27, 2013 10:44AM) (new)

Christine (inhalesbookslikepopcorn) | 330 comments I will be reading the following in December (edited)

Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley Looking for Alaska by John Green Lirael (Abhorsen, #2) by Garth Nix The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson Stormdancer (The Lotus War, #1) by Jay Kristoff Fated (Alex Verus, #1) by Benedict Jacka Carry Me Down by M.J. Hyland The Night Itself (The Name of the Blade, #1) by Zoë Marriott Ink (Paper Gods, #1) by Amanda Sun

would anyone like to BR one of those with me?

message 24: by Mary (new)

Mary | 332 comments Barbara, I can read a Dickens with you. Of the ones you've posted I've only read the Christmas Carol, so let's do one of the others.

message 25: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Vazquez Mary wrote: "Barbara, I can read a Dickens with you. Of the ones you've posted I've only read the Christmas Carol, so let's do one of the others."

Great! Which one do you prefer? I've read somewhere that Our Mutual Friend is one of Dickens best. Or maybe they said that on Lost...?

message 26: by Mary (new)

Mary | 332 comments Barbara wrote: "Mary wrote: "Barbara, I can read a Dickens with you. Of the ones you've posted I've only read the Christmas Carol, so let's do one of the others."

Great! Which one do you prefer? I've read somewhe..."

Yes, let's try Our Mutual Friend. I'll get it loaded on my Nook!

message 27: by Mary (new)

Mary | 332 comments Mary wrote: "Barbara wrote: "Mary wrote: "Barbara, I can read a Dickens with you. Of the ones you've posted I've only read the Christmas Carol, so let's do one of the others."

Great! Which one do you prefer? I..."

Do you want to post our info on the final thread?

message 28: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Vazquez Mary wrote: "Mary wrote: "Barbara wrote: "Mary wrote: "Barbara, I can read a Dickens with you. Of the ones you've posted I've only read the Christmas Carol, so let's do one of the others."

Great! Which one do ..."

Sure! I'll do it.

message 29: by Lauren (new)

Lauren I still have that list up there of books I need to read, if anybody's interested in any of them.

message 30: by Katie (new)

Katie Jennifer C. wrote: "Katie wrote: "I'm Katie. I'm interested in reading fiction, biographies, memoirs, true crime. Basically I'll read anything except horror and romance."

Hi Katie! I just compared our TBR shelves. ..."

Hi Jennifer! Yes I would be interested in reading Save Me

message 31: by Stephany (last edited Nov 26, 2013 04:42PM) (new)

Stephany (thebigmachine) Jason wrote: "Stephany wrote: Do you want to read A Song of Ice & Fire or Notes from Underground together?

Absolutely. Out of those two I'd prefer to read A Song of Ice and Fire 1, but if you'd rather read Not..."

Alright, we can definitely do Game of Thrones; I'll sign us up :)

message 32: by Jennifer C. (new)

Jennifer C. | 1722 comments OK Katie. I'll sign us up.

message 33: by Orikamane (new)

Orikamane Winter of the World (The Century Trilogy #2) by Ken Follett Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth Neuromancer (Sprawl, #1) by William Gibson Black The Birth of Evil (The Circle, #1) by Ted Dekker Dark Places by Gillian Flynn Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger The Magicians' Guild (The Black Magician Trilogy, #1) by Trudi Canavan Maisie Dobbs (Maisie Dobbs, #1) by Jacqueline Winspear

Maybe somebody would like to buddy-read one of these with me?

message 34: by Sanna (new)

Sanna (sappleby) Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1) by Kendare Blake Switched (Trylle, #1) by Amanda Hocking Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) by Sarah J. Maas Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1) by Tahereh Mafi Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver After Eden (After Eden, #1) by Helen Douglas

These are the books i'm currentely thinking of reading in december, if anyone's interested let me know! :)

message 35: by Christine (last edited Nov 27, 2013 10:44AM) (new)

Christine (inhalesbookslikepopcorn) | 330 comments Orikamane wrote: "Neuromancer (Sprawl, #1) by William Gibson"

I would like to br Neuromancer with you.

message 36: by Megan (new)

Megan (celtic_girl) | 428 comments Sanna wrote: "Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor"

I'm planning on reading this book and would love to buddy with you on it. :)

message 37: by Christine (last edited Nov 27, 2013 10:45AM) (new)

Christine (inhalesbookslikepopcorn) | 330 comments Sanna wrote: "Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1) by Kendare Blake ..."

I would like to join you on Anna dressed in blood.

message 38: by Ericka (new)

Ericka annamarie (annamarielebeau) Barbara wrote: "Only sad little me is a Dickens fan around here? Really?

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens The Old Curiosity Shop by Charles Dickens Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens [bookcover:Nicholas Nic..."

i love Dickens!

message 39: by Sanna (new)

Sanna (sappleby) Megan and Christine that sounds great to both, i'll sign us up!

message 40: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Vazquez Ericka wrote: "Barbara wrote: "Only sad little me is a Dickens fan around here? Really?

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens The Old Curiosity Shop by Charles Dickens Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens [bookco..."

Ericka, I already signed up with Mary to read [book:Our Mutual Friend|31244], but if you are up to it we could read A Christmas Carol together.

message 41: by Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (last edited Nov 28, 2013 10:35PM) (new)

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 2154 comments Orikamane wrote:

I'd like to read The Magicians' Guild (The Black Magician Trilogy, #1) by Trudi Canavanwith you.

message 42: by Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (last edited Nov 28, 2013 10:36PM) (new)

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 2154 comments Barbara wrote: "Ericka wrote: "Barbara wrote: "Only sad little me is a Dickens fan around here? Really?

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

Could I join you for A Christmas Carol?

message 43: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Amanda and Aishwarya, from what I can see you're both still missing partners - maybe you two can partner up and find a book you're both interested in? :)

message 44: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Vazquez Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ wrote: "Barbara wrote: "Ericka wrote: "Barbara wrote: "Only sad little me is a Dickens fan around here? Really?

Could I join you for A Christmas Carol?"

If you'r rather join someone partnerless like Denise sujests, I'm ok with it. Otherwise I'd love to read A Christmas Carol with you.

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 2154 comments Barbara wrote: "Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ wrote: "Barbara wrote: "Ericka wrote: "Barbara wrote: "Only sad little me is a Dickens fan around here? Really?

Could I join you fo..."

Definitely still interested

message 46: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Vazquez Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ wrote: "Barbara wrote: "Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ wrote: "Barbara wrote: "Ericka wrote: "Barbara wrote: "Only sad little me is a Dickens fan around here? Really?

Cou..."

I'll sign us up!

message 47: by Jaclynn (new)

Jaclynn Jennifer C. wrote: "Anyone want to read The Book Thief with me?"

That was a great book, I read it this past summer.

message 48: by Jaclynn (new)

Jaclynn Is it too late to sign up? I like reading YA, Urban Fantasies, Supernatural, Steam Punk, Historical Fictions, but honestly, I'd give just about anything a try. Let me know if there is anybody who needs a buddy! :)

message 49: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 16355 comments Mod
Jaclynn wrote: "Is it too late to sign up? I like reading YA, Urban Fantasies, Supernatural, Steam Punk, Historical Fictions, but honestly, I'd give just about anything a try. Let me know if there is anybody who n..."

you should post about 7-10 books you wanna read and then someone will say "i'll read this one with you" etc

message 50: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 16355 comments Mod
Pat & Ezi will be reading Wrath (New Species, #6) by Laurann Dohner (book 6, New Species) & At Last (Lucky Harbor, #5) by Jill Shalvis (Book 5 of Lucky Harbor).
Anyone wanna join us?

« previous 1