Social Change & Activism discussion

Recommendation! > What has to happen for Americans to finally desire sanity?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Zumas (DavidDomon) One only need turn on the TV to validate my question. Where does the tide turn, in what moment? OR does it at all?

message 2: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Eskola (benjamineskola) I'm not sure it’s helpful to frame the problem as “sanity” versus “insanity”. The problem is not one of mental health (and those with mental health problems are among those worst off in our society). On the contrary, the problem is that those in power are knowingly and intentionally acting for their own self-interest against the interests of everybody else.

What has to happen? People have to become aware of this state of affairs, to realise that they have interests in common that are in contradiction with the interests of those in power, and act together to change this.

message 3: by David (last edited Nov 21, 2013 09:09AM) (new)

David Zumas (DavidDomon) You're so sure the problem isn't one of mental health when so many are on anti-depressants. And do not those in power have a detrimental effect on the mental health and decision making processes of the masses, in which they consistently make purchases to try and fulfill their empty lives. Is this not the very definition of insanity? Isn't it true that most of us (those more aware) repeat the action of talking about these issues without the realization that repeating this action without tangible action and then expecting something to change can also be defined as insanity. I do agree with your second statement, though you did not answer my question. What has to happen for the right awareness to reach enough of the population and then what does the population have to do, in the way of action? Not what does the population have to think, that is only part of the equation.

message 4: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Eskola (benjamineskola) Yes, I didn't go into much detail about what could be done to change society, because I was more concerned about the way that you're framing the question; describing political problems as “insanity” is just laying the blame on a group that’s already marginalised. if you want to understand the problem, you need to look at social/cultural/economic/political power structures, not ableist nonsense.

message 5: by David (new)

David Zumas (DavidDomon) You still did not answer my question, nor did you refute my points. I now have a new question for you. How do I not understand the problem, when you do not know who I am or what I know? Also this system does not run itself, someone has to be made responsible. And finally just because you refuse to expand beyond your understanding does not make my view nonsense, especially when you cannot answer any of my questions. I suggest in the future that you form an argument, not an insult. It would be much more productive.

message 6: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Eskola (benjamineskola) An insult? I haven't insulted you at all; you, on the other hand, are continuing to defend your use of ableist terminology. You've also continued to ignore the (admittedly brief) comments I've made on the actual problem, then claim that I'm not answering your questions.

message 7: by David (new)

David Zumas (DavidDomon) Perhaps in the not so distant future you'll obtain the ability to comprehend beyond your own point of view and use of language, into a conceptual frame of thought and rise to the occasion, beyond the brief response, into the depth behind what you believe you see. Though I suspect you'll not understand the statement I've just made and not realize that I am asking you for specifics that you either don't have or refuse to give. As for the answers you present, they are lacking substance. It should be no surprise to you that I am not satisfied with them. If you are already thinking about what to respond and not about what you've just read, then don't. The surface does not interest me, that, you should have figured out by my second comment. Forgive me if I sound a little short, societies general absence of imagination is wearing on me. I am not being sarcastic, please be understanding.

message 8: by David (new)

David Zumas (DavidDomon) To anyone interested in a different type of group,I started one and it is in need of minds. The name is;
(The Radically Rebellious of a Rambunctious Nature) and it is for those who are tried of the restrictions and patty cake conversations of our current state of sleep.