What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Boy With Earring and Scarf Bullied Drowns in Quarry

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott (new)

Scott Thissen | 3 comments Hello. I am looking for a book I read in high school it's about a boy who is different almost gypsy like. He wears a earring and scarf. His mother died or murdered someone. Something bad who he's caused the community to turn against him. The story is primarily told by some girl who is witnessing it all.

SPOILERS: At the end of the book the boy is chased by his attackers and they fall into a quarry and both end up drowning. The narrator is there and listens to the sound of them drowning.

This is a young adult novel. I don't remember more than a few scenes. I appreciate whatever help I receive thank you.

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments Do you remember how long ago you read the book?

message 3: by Scott (new)

Scott Thissen | 3 comments I was in a school. 10 years probably.

message 4: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
Possibly The Drowning of Stephan Jones by Bette Green?

message 5: by Scott (new)

Scott Thissen | 3 comments It didn't have anything to do with homosexuality so that's not it. Thank you.

message 6: by Andria (new)

Sorry, read your first post too quickly, missed some details. Is it Plague Year?

message 7: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Nov 22, 2013 02:47PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Ok, I have to ask--who drowned? The boy who was being bullied AND the bully? Or were there multiple bullies and they were the ones who drowned? And why the heck did the girl just "listen" to them dieing? Also, other than being the narrator--what was the girl's connection to everything?

message 8: by Andria (new)

Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Ok, I have to ask--who drowned? The boy who was being bullied AND the bully? Or were there multiple bullies and they were the ones who drowned? And why the heck did the girl just "listen" to them d..."

Ann, if it's Plague Year, and I strongly suspect it is, yes, they both drown. There was a fight, someone fell, both died, I think. I think it was an angry mob type scene. Also, it was the bullied boy's father, not mother, who was a (suspected) murderer (serial killer, maybe?)

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38241 comments Mod
Scott, are you still looking for this?

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38241 comments Mod
No response. Moving to Abandoned.,

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Plague Year (other topics)