The Sword and Laser discussion

Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch, #1)
This topic is about Ancillary Justice
2013 Reads > AJ: Text vs. Audio (Starting Over)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments I was 27% into the Kindle edition of Ancillary Justice and really having a hard time sticking with it. I was having a hard time with the whole gender thing and the switching timelines thing. Last night, I was looking at my Whispersync matches and accidentally bought the audiobook for $3.99. I started listening to it today and it's working out so much better. I've never heard of the narrator, Celeste Ciulla, before. She does a really good job with this. I can tell the male characters from the female ones due to her subtle changes in inflection.

If you're struggling with the text, try the audiobook.

terpkristin | 4132 comments Interesting. Does she use a male or female intonation for Breq? I finished last night. I think that even if I'd listened to the audio, I wouldn't have liked it.

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments She uses her natural voice for Breq--with a monotone for dialogue. I'm about halfway in and I'm liking it much better in audio.

John (johnred) That sounds awesome - I have not had a chance to read this yet due to time constraints, but when I do I think I will go for audio.

David(LA,CA) (davidscharf) | 327 comments Sandi wrote: "I can tell the male characters from the female ones due to her subtle changes in inflection."

I wonder if that undercuts the author's intention.

Shaina (shainaeg) | 165 comments I thought the audio wasn't available yet. I'll have to try it, I'm having trouble with the book so I'll have to give the audio a shot.

message 7: by Serendi (new)

Serendi | 829 comments I suspect they moved the audio ahead because the book is getting so much buzz.