What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. sci fi - a planet is settled by three ships. 1st laborers, 2nd are scientist, 3rd is government and bankers. the workers form their own government and make it live underground. .

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Bloom | 2 comments Read it in the early 80, s but I think it was written in 70s

message 2: by Daphne (new)

Daphne | 247 comments The first sentence makes me think of a bit from The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, but in that book the scientists and laborers don't make it to the new planet, only the third ship. So the second sentence doesn't fit.

message 3: by John (new)

John Bloom | 2 comments Nope read all of those. This was a book given to me while I was in college. I was reading 1-3 paperbacks a week then. I was told it was a Russian author. It was a great book. The bankers and the lawyers arrive all ready to rule and they are told to wait and they will be given new assignments, or they can go back to earth. You are elected to government by lottery. then you are sent a mile below the earth and like in a bunker with basic food, nothing else. If you do a good job you are elected out, if not then you stay there. While you are there your family is moved and lives in basic housing and gets the same food. It is truly what a public servant should be. Almost Zero cost to run government.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37753 comments Mod
John, are you still looking for this book?

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37753 comments Mod
No response in 2+ years. Moving to Abandoned.