Arrangement and Description: Archivists At Large discussion

Books for the profession > So you want to be an archivist...

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michele (new)

Michele | 23 comments Mod
What book(s) would you suggest for someone who says they're interested in special collections or archives as a profession?

message 2: by Maria (new)

Maria Wang (dodo117) | 3 comments I am also interested in Special Collections Records & Archives as a profession. Would any professional have a recommendation for a MLIS degree program at a specific university? There are also 3-year dual degree programs offered with MLIS and MA in Art History. Would you say the MA comes in handy in the long-run? Any advice offered is greatly appreciated!

message 3: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 3 comments Hi Maria, I graduated with an MLS, specializing in Archives and Records Management, from the Univeristy of Maryland, which was a great program and close to DC, so the internship and practicum options were plentiful.

When looking at a school I think there are a number of things to consider: location, cost, employment rates for students after graduation, where students end up working after graduation, internship and practicum opportunities while in school (the first job can be difficult to get if you've never interacted with a collection), financial support (grants, scholarship, assistantships), and where there's a local arhival community you can interac with(it's important to get to know other archivists).

The dual degree is a personal choice and entirely based on your interests. I opted not to pursue a dual degree with a MA in history, although I love history, I couldn't decide on a focus for graduate school. It can be an asset and differentiator, but it's not necessary for finding a job.

Jennifer

message 4: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 3 comments Michele wrote: "What book(s) would you suggest for someone who says they're interested in special collections or archives as a profession?"

As a beginning professional, the Archives Fundamentals Series published by the Society of American Archivists is a great place to start.

The Innovative Practices for Archives and Special Collections case studies, edited by Kate Theimer offer great snapshots to current issues and resolutions facing archivists today. Published by Rowman and Littlefield, google them and you can find them elsewhere too.

message 5: by Maria (new)

Maria Wang (dodo117) | 3 comments Jenny wrote: "Hi Maria, I graduated with an MLS, specializing in Archives and Records Management, from the Univeristy of Maryland, which was a great program and close to DC, so the internship and practicum optio..."

Michele,

Thank you so much for your reply! I am located in New York City and would preferrably attend a uni here. In your opinion, how would you recommend an online program? Are there any MLIS programs in NY you have personally heard favorable reviews for?

message 6: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 3 comments One resource you should check out is the Society of American Archivists Directory of Archival Education, http://www2.archivists.org/dae. It allows you to compare programs. You'll see there are a number of programs in New York. You can also filter to see which schools have an online program, there are number of these as well.

message 7: by Maria (new)

Maria Wang (dodo117) | 3 comments Jenny wrote: "One resource you should check out is the Society of American Archivists Directory of Archival Education, http://www2.archivists.org/dae. It allows you to compare programs. You'll see there are a nu..."

Thank you Michele!

message 8: by Scoyphenson (new)

Scoyphenson | 2 comments Hi Maria,

I graduated from the San Jose State University Masters in Library and Information Science program, which was entirely online. I specialized in Archival Studies, which wasn't a separate degree, but a track within the MLIS.

The online program was fantastic, in my opinion. Most of the professors are working archivists and librarians, so their courses cover practice as well as theory. I came out of the program with a lot of practical knowledge, and felt ready to work in the field, which I understand is not always the case.

In order to succeed in an online program one must be motivated and have strong time management skills. With those traits, an online program can be wonderfully rewarding and flexible.

Dual degrees can be very useful, especially if you want to work in a university setting. A lot of university positions require an MA or MS in addition to the MLS/MLIS.

Good luck!