Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Someone is trying to take credit for my book!

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renske (new)

Renske | 11543 comments It was an error in the data import, so it was not something she has done. It is changed now.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45422 comments Mod
"This person" did nothing. The book data comes from an import source that gets its data from publishers.

This edition is the currently available paperback from HarperCollins, and is for sale on Amazon.

message 3: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 106 comments Celeste wrote: "Thank you so much for the quick fix, but can the edition this person put up be deleted? There should only be 2 editions of this book up, the ebook, and the print edition, both with the covers that ..."

There's three editions: epub, Kindle, paperback. Despite epub and Kindle both being ebooks, epub's have ISBNs while Kindle editions have ASINs.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Celeste wrote: "I am a self published author, Harper Collins never published my book. It is not for sale as a paperback on Amazon from the publisher Harper Collins. It is for sale as a paperback from Createspace!"

Guess the import had multiple pieces of bad data. Publisher corrected, as per your statement and the listing on Amazon.

Robin, I think you may be looking at a different book.

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

No, we keep all published editions, including those with limited release. You may wish to set the CreateSpace edition as primary, though. As the author, you have that ability. Here's how: http://www.goodreads.com/help/show/31...

message 6: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) What chaos. No one's fault, no one to blame, but lord what a mess. Can you imagine what publishing will look like in five years, the way things are going so far?

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Considering how many hundreds of thousands of books are correctly added by the imports, I think we'll be fine.

For those that need fixing, hooray for our librarians!

message 8: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 106 comments rivka wrote: "Robin, I think you may be looking at a different book."

I don't think I am. I was looking at Give Me Forever which is written by the OP. I know GR says there's two paperbacks but when I googled the ISBN 9781620180396 it comes up as an epub. So there's three editions: epub, Kindle, paperback. I would change it to say ebook instead of paperback but the only sources I could find for the epub ISBN were retailers and I thought we weren't allowed to use retailers (apart from Amazon) as data sources.

message 9: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I believe 9781620180396 was also used for a limited run of paperbacks, which is why we have it listed that way.

And you are correct about non-Amazon retailers not being sources we can use.

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Celeste wrote: "I did change the one that said Kindle edition to ebook"

I reverted those changes. You are welcome to add an additional ebook edition (or a librarian can do so for you), but it is not ok to edit an existing valid edition (which the Kindle edition certainly is) to become a new edition.