Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Beta reader looking for a book to critique. Genre doesn't matter.

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ♥Booklish Reviews♥ (last edited Nov 20, 2013 12:53PM) (new)

♥Booklish Reviews♥ (booklish) | 15 comments I need something to read. (I know, sounds pathetic). However, I will say that I nit pick a lot of things. (Typos, double adjectives, voice, past and present tense, word usage, plot structure, character development.)Sadly, that is how I review books on GoodReads and apparently that is a bad thing. I am willing to give good feedback and let you know if it's slow in places, fast in others, bland ect...It's just the way I read. (I blame it on my college professor.)
I really enjoy paranormal, romance, history, YA...But I'm open to just about anything. Send me a PDF or Epub to TempiLark@yahoo.com .
Expect the following back:
1) Chapter detail of what I liked, didn't like, what I loved, odd phrasing....
2) I will be your second eye and watch out for misspelled words and typos.
3) Give a rundown of what I thought of the characters. (to make sure you got the right message across. Like if Tommy or Susie is a naturally angry person.)
4) Encouragement. :)
I am reliable and can typically finish a book in 5-6 hours. I won't stop if your book gets boring. That's what this is for. To fix the problems and give you feedback so you can really nail your book.
Please send your document in word so I can make notes as I go (Unless that is too much trouble for you.) You can have your disclose statement/rights in there, it just makes it easier to type notes and highlight words, comma usage, make suggestions. Just simple things like that.

message 2: by David (new)

David Minor (minordt08) | 26 comments Hello! I'm interested! I wrote a MG/YA fantasy however I'm coming to the realization that more than some beta readers are...less than reliable. How quick do you work? I believe I can benefit from te feedback you described :) thanks

♥Booklish Reviews♥ (booklish) | 15 comments I can read a 85,000 book in 6 hours. I take notes as I go.

message 4: by David (new)

David Minor (minordt08) | 26 comments Hahah how uncanny. Thats exactly how long my manuscript is haha. Would you be interested? In the briefest of summaries it's a parallel journey about a boy who falls into a magical world and steals it's life force and the story of the boy trying to save the magical world.

♥Booklish Reviews♥ (booklish) | 15 comments Well, that is the ideal length of a novel. :) Yes, I am interested. I'm on board with anything dealing with magic.

message 6: by David (new)

David Minor (minordt08) | 26 comments Okay inbox me your email?

message 7: by Tianna (last edited Nov 20, 2013 09:31AM) (new)

Tianna | 37 comments Hi there. I have part of a project done and I'm wondering if you could read it for me. The section you'd be reading is mostly a NA/General romance, but the ending leads into something supernatural. Its about 75 000 words and has mature themes and subject matter.

Let me know :) writteninink@hotmail.com

♥Booklish Reviews♥ (booklish) | 15 comments Tianna wrote: "Hi there. I have part of a project done and I'm wondering if you could read it for me. The section you'd be reading is mostly a NA/General romance, but the ending leads into something supernatural..."

I sent a message to your email. :)

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily | 80 comments and this is exactly what I am looking for in a beta reader. I have a YA romance that is aprox. 65,000 words that could use another set of eyes especially a set that will be honest and critique it as in dept as you say you do. Let me know if you are not too booked up. I would love to have you take a look

♥Booklish Reviews♥ (booklish) | 15 comments Emily wrote: "and this is exactly what I am looking for in a beta reader. I have a YA romance that is aprox. 65,000 words that could use another set of eyes especially a set that will be honest and critique it a..."

YA....*SQUEALS* Ah. You guys are so giving to my brain waves. LOL. YA is golden right now. Love it. I love troubled relationships, hard back stories, bad boys, women in turmoil....
Go ahead and send that in. If I don't get through it by Thurs-Friday, I'll get to it on Saturday. (Probably sooner. I'm pretty quick about it. Especially if there is a lot of drama going on.)

message 11: by Judy (new)

Judy Goodwin | 9 comments I'm sending you an email--YA fantasy (bit longer, 120k)

Nitpicking is fine!

♥Booklish Reviews♥ (booklish) | 15 comments Judy wrote: "I'm sending you an email--YA fantasy (bit longer, 120k)

Nitpicking is fine!"

Finally! People who respect this sort of thing! LOL

message 13: by Judy (new)

Judy Goodwin | 9 comments And of course I sent it from the wrong email address, but either way, here's the book on Goodreads.

Journey to Landaran

♥Booklish Reviews♥ (booklish) | 15 comments Oh okay! Did you send the wrong file or describe the wrong book? LOL. Either way, I saw Heart of the Witch and added it as to read. The cover got me. :)

♥Booklish Reviews♥ (booklish) | 15 comments Nevermind I was confused. Gotcha lol.

message 16: by Emily (new)

Emily | 80 comments ♥Crushed Reviews♥ wrote: "Emily wrote: "and this is exactly what I am looking for in a beta reader. I have a YA romance that is aprox. 65,000 words that could use another set of eyes especially a set that will be honest and..."

I just sent it and yes there is lots and lots of drama!

message 17: by Emily (new)

Emily | 80 comments ♥Crushed Reviews♥ wrote: "Judy wrote: "I'm sending you an email--YA fantasy (bit longer, 120k)

Nitpicking is fine!"

Finally! People who respect this sort of thing! LOL"

Yes I love nitpicking.

message 18: by Judy (new)

Judy Goodwin | 9 comments Good lord, so I even mentioned the wrong book. Lol though I can send you that one as well if you're interested!

I'll even send it from the correct email address. :-)

♥Booklish Reviews♥ (booklish) | 15 comments Okay haha! Thank you!

message 20: by Josh (new)

Josh (charlescooper) | 2 comments ♥Crushed Reviews♥ I have a YA novel for you that will be in need of critiquing soon (late this year or early next year, with a little luck) So if you like 5th Wave, Hunger Games and the Gone series, then it should be right up your alley. Let me know if your interested ;)

♥Booklish Reviews♥ (booklish) | 15 comments Josh wrote: "♥Crushed Reviews♥ I have a YA novel for you that will be in need of critiquing soon (late this year or early next year, with a little luck) So if you like 5th Wave, Hunger Games and the Gone series..."

Definitely interested. I love the 5th Wave. (I don't like waiting for the second novel, of course....haha) But I love the book. Let me know when you've got it ready.

message 22: by Dyane (new)

Dyane Forde (dyegirl) I've got an adult light fantasy book that just came out. A review could be great, if you're interested.

message 23: by Josh (new)

Josh (charlescooper) | 2 comments Josh wrote: "♥Crushed Reviews♥ I have a YA novel for you that will be in need of critiquing soon (late this year or early next year, with a little luck) So if you like 5th Wave, Hunger Games and the Gone series..."

Will do!

message 24: by Duncan (new)

Duncan Milne Looks like you've had lots of take up on your offer. I would love to have you review, if you've still got capacity / interest. Please let me know.

duncan.r.milne@gmail.com

Thanks,

message 25: by Faith (new)

Faith (faith512) | 16 comments Hi! I'll send an email with my file. My book is on the longer side, 130K words, and is in the romance (but not bodice ripper) genre. I'll send a blurb when I send the file. The title is The Blue Amaryllis. Thanks!

message 26: by Harry (new)

Harry Nelson | 26 comments When you're done with all of these I have a paranormal fantasy book titled "In the Lucid Dream Future: Beyond Malanchthon." I have one beta reader who is really good and I'd like to test out some of my rewrites. The book is long but I'd like to send you 1 chapter at a time.

Here's the hook:

An average garage band kid becomes something extraordinary after the mysterious hearing of his own song being played by a satanic death metal band...

No one had yet heard the song that Aldan Jones was writing, but from early on a dim dark unknown presence seemed to surround the inspiration as he wrote...

When during the course of a late summer jam session he discovers the song is being played by a satanic death metal band it drives him to the edge - and thus begins his obsession with the assassination of the person who he felt was responsible for the theft. Plagued by a schizophrenic image of an eye watching threateningly from the woods he embarks on his relentless mission only to be intercepted by two questionable characters who at first seem to be only figments of his imagination. They lead him into the world of Lucid Dream Future Travel as they claim to know how his song was stolen and offer to reward him if he pulls off a similar heist against the very same perpetrator. But a horrifying precognitive vision of his girlfriend's brutal murder overwhelms him leading to his discovery of powers beyond his universe and propelling him ineluctably on to the final conflict.

message 27: by C. (new)

C. Phil (cphilmoore) | 31 comments 50k coming-of-age tale set against the backdrop of NYC. A bit of romance, a bit cerebral, a bit emotional. We follow a man who has set his whole life around "checking out" at 27. When that doesn't happen, he now has to figure out how to live a life thereafter.

message 28: by Jay (new)

Jay Storey (jayallanstorey) | 80 comments I'm looking for people to read my gripping new Psychological Thriller, THE ARX (90k words)

Below is a short synopsis:

Ex-Homicide Detective Frank Langer's life is a mess. A year ago he was placed on extended medical leave from the Vancouver Homicide Squad after a mental breakdown. Six months later his wife left him. Now he spends his days chain-smoking and his nights waking up screaming from a horrific recurring nightmare.

The guys at the squad think he's lost it and will probably never return. So when Frank shows up with a story about a conspiracy to kidnap and murder babies, they pat him on the shoulder and tell him to go home...

I'd prefer that you read the whole thing and comment generally on what works and what doesn't. Nit-picky is great!

I can provide a document in any format: DOC, PDF, epub, etc.

email me at: jastorey@shaw.ca

message 29: by Christian (new)

Christian Green | 9 comments Sounds good, I have a short novella that I just finished typing. It's 26k words. Would you be interested in it? Only issue is I used OpenOffice and not Word.

message 30: by David (new)

David Wildman | 13 comments I just sent you an e mail. I'm looking for a reader for my completed novel (320 pages). It's commercial fiction, a dark comedy about a rock star who bottoms out and discovers a new form of music. It's in the vein of Birdman and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

message 31: by A.M. (new)

A.M. Rose | 2 comments You have had a lot of responses. It sounds like you can do exactly what I need. If you are interested in a YA Contemporary novel please let me know. (Or if you have time in the near future.)
What you are doing is invaluable.
Thank you,
Ann

message 32: by C. (new)

C. Phil (cphilmoore) | 31 comments Are you ready to dive in to a fictional take on Adam and Eve? "From The Dawn..." sets out to answer the question "Why?" when we've already been given the "What?" From a non-theological perspective, I paint an exposing, insightful, and honest picture of my theory, set against the beautiful, sweeping backdrop of the budding new world. Was it really Woman's fault? Could Man have prevented it? I try earnestly and make neither one the victim nor victor, however leaving it up for the reader to decide. At 113k words, this epic fantasy takes you on a journey toward the inevitable, but how we get there is the most exciting part. Available in PDF for anyone who is curious.

message 33: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Rittenhouse | 8 comments I have a 45,000 word novel that I am looking to be beta read. It is a MG/YA book written in diary format. It is the third book in a series, but can be read as a stand alone.

Back Cover Blurb: Change is hard for 13-year-old Laura Woodsmall to accept, especially when the change seems to make her life even worse. Accepting Change chronicles the diary of Laura, the younger sister to Carolyn and Bethany from Finding Faith and Discovering Hope. Laura finds it difficult to put her strength in God as her sisters have done. Will she be able to find true joy in God and learn to take all the curveballs life throws?

Message me if you'd be interested and still have availability!

Thanks!
Rachel

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

If you enjoy a good laugh I have a 170k word humor memoir for you.
brettballard13@gmail.com

message 35: by John (new)

John Simlett | 41 comments I may be interested depends on your timescale/deadline.

I am a published author with a BA English Literature a Diploma in Creative Writing, and - for good measure - a BSc(Hons) Criminology .

My preferences are, Biography, Memoirs, Thrillers, Adventure Novels, Sci-Fi, Mystery or Non-Fiction.

I do not read, Children’s Stories, Erotica or Chic Lit.

Contact me at: betareader2016@outlook.com

My rate is £20 (US$ 30) for 40,000 words.

message 36: by Kathleane (new)

Kathleane O'Leary | 18 comments Hello,
I have a 17k word book which is about how to make any diet more effective. Six sections: Low Carb, Paleo, Gluten Free, Low Calorie, Food Combining, Vegetarian and Vegan.

I'm looking for bird's eye feedback rather than grammar and spelling. I would love to know what you find confusing or conflicting, missing or repetitive.

message 37: by Alex (new)

Alex Tamburro (alextamburro) | 41 comments Hello!

I recently completed my edit of my first novel, The Rose Vendetta. I'm reaching out to beta-readers at the moment and I am really interested in seeing what you have to say about my book. I need as much feedback in order to improve and I get the impression that you're not shy about saying what is right and what isn't wright about a story.

It is a New Adult Fantasy/Romance/ Mystery

Here's my unofficial blurb -
After her 18th birthday, Rosalie began to have one nightmare. For two years, she dreamt of a fire that drove her to the basement instead of out the front door. And every time she had this dream, she would die at the end. For two years this never changed. But an attack forces the hand of her savior and she begins to dream of a whole new life. As time goes on, Rose is convinced it is real and she begins to make the descent into the dark world beneath our own. But that world is much closer than she realizes - and it has touched her life more than she wants to believe.

If you are interested, I can be reached on here or at alextamb@nmsu.edu

Thank You for Your Time,
Alexandra Tamburro

message 38: by William (new)

William Walters | 111 comments Hi, I need Beta Reader to review first 6 chapters of a Family Saga/ Historical Fiction.

message 39: by Mytchel (new)

Mytchel Chandler (authormytchelchandler) | 42 comments Howdy! I am hoping to find someone to review by upcoming book; The Dark and Dangerous Days of Sin Shadow. It is YA Fantasy and sits at a whopping 84,000 words. Blurb:

Sin Shadow, after discovering he has the ability to travel through shadows, is anointed as the ambassador between the two sides of his world, light and dark. Both sides seem to be creeping closer and closer to war, and it's up to him to hold the pieces together as they come crashing down. He will very quickly realize that his newfound powers will only help him get so far...

Hope to hear from you and thank you!

message 40: by Shirley (new)

Shirley McLain (shirleymclain) | 4 comments Hello, I have an educational fiction called Thomas Gomel learns about Bullying. It an intended guide to parent and child on how to deal with a bully at school. A total of 20 chapters and 17,500 words. Thank you for taking the time to read this and I do hope to hear from you. Sincerely Shirley McLain

message 41: by Nika (new)

Nika Grizila (nikagrizila) | 1 comments Hi! I don't know whether you're still looking for something to read as this post is almost six years old now but in case you are (or anyone else is), I have written a YA romance novel which is almost 100,000 words long. It's my first novel and I'd like someone to give it a read ... and criticise me!

message 42: by Kat (new)

Kat Devitt (kat_devitt_author) | 101 comments Hey,

I like nitpicky! I'm seeking beta readers for a historical fiction short story that comes in at 2,131 words. It's set in the late fourteenth century and follows an unhappily in love bell ringer. It's appropriately titled, "The Bell Ringer's Story."

If you're interested, please contact me at katdevittauthor@gmail.com.

Best,
Kat Devitt