Nora Roberts Groupies discussion

Archive > Weekly topic for discussion - Do you have reading goals?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonetta (last edited Nov 20, 2013 06:47AM) (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 5645 comments Mod
We are all readers, and most of us include more than Nora's books. Do you set goals on what you plan to read? Are they weekly, monthly or yearly goals (or even all of these)?

I set a yearly goal using the Goodreads challenge feature, based on what I read the previous year. I even go so far as to create more detailed goals by creating a monthly reading plan. There are other reading challenges I participate in to help me meet or surpass my goals.

So what do you do? Do you develop a plan or do you pick your next book using some other approach?

message 2: by Talya (new)

Talya | 718 comments Mod
Good question! My main goal is generally to get in an average of one book per week.

message 3: by Jonetta (new)

Talya wrote: "Good question! My main goal is generally to get in an average of one book per week."

So that's 52 books a year. Do you complete the annual GR challenge for tracking?

message 4: by Talya (new)

Talya | 718 comments Mod
I don't, but I certainly need to.

message 5: by Jonetta (new)

I love looking at my progress...when I'm on track or surpassing my goal:)

message 6: by Lynn (new)

Lynn I joined the Goodreads Challenge, and also like to see my progress as the year goes on. My goal has needed to be extended though, started out with a goal of 50 and have it at 200 now with 192 read. I don't set what books I will read for a specific period of time, tend to keep a lot of books that interest me on my Kindle so I have a selection to choose from.Finish one book look through what books I have and pick the next.

message 7: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 181 comments I use the Goodreads Yearly Challenge to set my yearly goal for the overall number of books I plan to read that year. And at any given time, I'm usually involved in 2 or 3 group challenges in which I set goals based on that particular challenge. I'm always involved in monthly buddy reads & multiple Monthly Reads in various groups as well. As the number of books I read weekly & monthly have greatly increased, as has my time involved in reading "with" others, I have found it necessary to make a monthly "calendar" of books to read to make sure I read books I've committed to reading on time. I also need the calendar to keep me on schedule with book reviews & blog tours. In between all of that, I randomly choose books from my TBR list or when I have time, a book that has just been recommended to me.

message 8: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) I use the Goodreads Challenge. The past three or four years I've set a goal of 100 books/year. The previous years I exceeded my goal by 3-6 books. This year I am in danger of not meeting my goal. I'm only on book 91, only two books ahead of my goal, and only about five weeks left in the year.

I also sometimes set mini-goals, such as reading 10-12 classics a year (14 read this year, so another goal exceeded), or so many by one author, catching up on books borrowed from friends/family, etc.

message 9: by Quynh (new)

Quynh | 218 comments I have the yearly challenge. I would love to do 100-200 a year but it's hard with nursing school so I just set myself at 50 and if I get close to that with time left, I'll add another 10 books to my goal. Gonna see if I can do 60 by end of December.

message 10: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 708 comments This was my first year of setting reading goals. I have always just read what I wanted to and how much I wanted to. This yr in January I set a goal of reading 75 books during the year and reading the In Death series back to back. I have accomplished my goal if 75 books and upped it to 85. I sort of accomplished my. 2nd goal. I re- read the entire ID series but not back to back . I read about the first 10-12 back to back then had to take a break . As much as I love them the cases and suspects started to get mixed up, so I read 2 ID books then read something else until I finished the series.

message 11: by Jonetta (new)

Well done, Maggie!

message 12: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samswindle) | 68 comments I've never set actual goals or used the Goodreads challenge. Half the time I forget to post what I've read on my profile. But I would imagine I read more than 100 books per year. I easily read 2 books per week. Of course many of those are NR rereads. I also read a lot this year because I was pretty sick and was on medical leave for a month. I read a great deal then because it's all I could do. I need to make a conscious effort to keep up with the books I read in 2014 so I can get an idea for what type goals I should set.

message 13: by Jonetta (new)

Do you think you'll do 100 in 2014?

message 14: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samswindle) | 68 comments I'd like to think I'll read at least 100 next year. Reading is my escape and I don't let a day pass by without taking that time. Reading is what keeps me somewhat sane!!! LOL

message 15: by Lynn (new)

Lynn While I was still working it was impossible to read the number of books I am currently reading. I also camp primitively, no TV, or outside influences; I'm alone with my dog until weekends when others are camping. I try to be active but am limited due to spinal cord injuries, I don't even have electricity lol, a generator allows me to charge my wheelchair and a marine battery to keep my phone and Kindle charged. This year I camped from April through the end of October and I read a lot of books. Now that I am back home for the winter life is interfering with my reading a bit. I found Goodreads at the end of 2012, so setting a reading goal for the year was hard, newly unemployed gave me the time to rekindle my passion for reading.

message 16: by Jonetta (new)

Lynn, I was lucky to read 12 books a year with my last job:) I'm in awe of your camping prowess...I'm so not nature girl.

message 17: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samswindle) | 68 comments I think my job is why I read so much. It takes my mind off work. I definitely couldnt do the primitive camping either so I'm impressed! I like to camp in hotel rooms! Lol!

message 18: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (kels_elaine) The most recent goal I had when it came to reading was to read all 3 Hunger Games book by the time Catching Fire came out, which I did successfully. :D Other than that, no. But I am kind of curious to see how many books I read in a year because atm the moment I've been downloading free books of off my Kindle whenever I need a book to read. So I constantly have a book on hand. ;)

message 19: by Jonetta (new)

Kelsey wrote: "The most recent goal I had when it came to reading was to read all 3 Hunger Games book by the time Catching Fire came out, which I did successfully. :D Other than that, no. But I am kind of curious..."

How many are you reading a week or month?

message 20: by Jonetta (new)

I just had an embarrassing moment. Someone congratulated me on my GR reading challenge. I didn't even realize I'd met my goal when I finished my book last night.

message 21: by Talya (new)

Talya | 718 comments Mod
Haha, that's funny! Congratulations on reaching your goal though :-D

message 22: by Jonetta (new)

message 23: by Talya (new)

Talya | 718 comments Mod
In 2014 I'll make it a goal to sign up for the challenge for sure.

message 24: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (kels_elaine) Jonetta, oh I have to think about that! I download a lot of free books on my kindle, so I go through them in no time. I bet I read at least 10 books, if not more in a month.

message 25: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (kels_elaine) Talya wrote: "In 2014 I'll make it a goal to sign up for the challenge for sure."

Me too. ;)

message 26: by Sheery (new)

Sheery (wwwgoodreadscomprofilesheery) | 671 comments Mod
This is a fun question. For the past few years I have done the GR challenge. I always start out at 52 books (figuring one per week). Each year I've had to increase my goal. My goal right now is 70 and I've finished 66.

I used to participate in all sorts of challenges but gave myself a break on those this year. I was starting to feel kind of overwhelmed with them and reading is my fun.

message 27: by Jonetta (new)

It's curious how sometimes adding a goal also adds pressure, good or bad.