The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) The Lightning Thief question

How does the movie compare?
Michaela Michaela Nov 19, 2013 01:26PM
Tell me your opinion!

OK so we can all agree that lightning thief was pretty good but it also had major detail problems. But I personally think the sea of monsters was better. It was interesting and it had more detail. So you can say all you want about the movie. I loved it. Again my opinion not your's. We can believe in different things. Bye!

The movie was good, but the book was SO much better.

THE MOVIE SUCKED , NOTHING LIKE THE BOOK

Steph (last edited Jan 04, 2014 03:41PM ) Jan 04, 2014 03:41PM   0 votes
This movie is not worthy of comparison. The movie moved between parts in the book way too fast first of all; it left out way too many details, and the actors and actresses who played the main characters didn't seem to portray the innocence that percy and gang possessed (I suppose that's what you get for casting older people as 12 year olds). I'm not one to cringe, but there were cringe-worthy moments in the movie. I won't say that it's terrible that a movie adaption was created because at least it creates exposure for the series, but let's just say that it'll have those who read the books going "huh.." and "what is this!?" a lot.

Michaela wrote: "Tell me your opinion!"

The movie sucked. Not only did it not follow the plot of the book, but it was just plain bad on its own.

I had read this series a few years ago. Watching the movie and seeing how different it was from the books, I have to say I was disappointed. Of course the movie has to be altered because of the time limit and had to change some things from what the book had. Throughout the two movies I wasn't really paying attention to the storyline I was pointing out all the things that were different from the book. Now, having watching the movies again from a movie point of view, I feel like the story is good and kind of relates to the books but doesn't follow the exact story. If I had not read the books I would totally love the movie. But seeing as how I did read the books, part of me will always say that the movies were not done to my expectations. But I have to say that watching the movie without thinking about the book helps with that struggle of being a fan of the book series and not having the movie be the same.

it was terrible, why did Annebethe almost die what was that

In my opinion, the movie can't even begin to compare. If a movie has a book, always, and I mean ALWAYS read the book first. I speak from personal experience. Not with this series, but a different one.

The book was WAY better than the movie!!!!! The movie didn't even follow the story line really. Rick did a much better job than the producers. And don't even get me started about the 2 movie!

Yeah sea of monsters pissed me off to the point where I refuse to watch any future Percy Jackson productions... I made a discussion topic for sea of monsters about the movie, you could go look at it.

IF there were no book and some screenwriter one day came up with the idea of Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief, it would be quite a good movie. But since it's supposed to be based off the book, it completely sucks.

I KNOW RIGHT!!!!! I HATED THE MOVIE. WHEN I WAS WATCHING THE ONLY REASON I DIDNT STOP WATCHING THEN AND THERE WAS BECAUSE TO CONVINCE MY FRIENDS THAT IT WAS A TERRIBLE MOVIE!

THEY DIDNT EVEN MENTION CLARISSE!!

I don't have the words to describe how angry it made me feel. The actress who plays Annabeth was 27 during The Sea of Monsters and like 24 during The Lightning Thief. Someone needs to strangle that director and make a new set of movies that don't make all of the fans angry.

The movie was NOTHING like the book. Like 15 times I was questioning if it should be called Percy Jackson and the lightning theif or if they should call it something else, it was so much diffrent

the movie by itself would be okay, but it was absolutely crapola compared to the book! the second movie even worse!

Okay, So I actually watched the movie before reading the book. So, i found that they were very, very different and some of the things that happened in the movie did not even happen in the book. and when i started reading the book i was like wait... Annabeth is suppose to have blond hair? But in the movie, it was in brown, they can't even get the hair right!?!?

The movie had nothing to do with the book!! The Lightening Thief barely even had the same theme as the book....... there were no pearls in the book, and Percy didnt have a big battle with Luke at the end like in the movie!!!

The movie was very different from the book, but I still liked the movie. No movie can do a book exactly how I want it so might as well just enjoy the show, but yes there were a lot of changes made.

I hate the movies in the respect of how poorly they follow the books. The first movie wouldn't even be good if it wasn't kind of based off the book but I think the second movie would be a pretty good movie if the book never exsisted and we didn't have anything to compare it to.

THE ONLY REASON I WATCHED THE SECOND ONE WAS TO MAKE FUN OF IT!!!!! AND ALSO, WHY IS LUKE ALIVE????? A FRICKIN TRIDENT SPIKED HIM THROUGH HIS THROAT!!!!!!

Nyssa Why are you yelling at everyone?
Jan 14, 2014 02:12PM · flag
U 25x33
Rex I think that the movie barly had any thing to do with the book
Jan 28, 2014 02:27PM · flag

The movie is the worst movie ever

I saw the movie and I definitely think it could have been better.... Way better. I got the movie for Christmas and I still haven't watched it because I don't want myself to be disappointed again.

I watched the movie but got really mad. The movie was nothing like the book!!

the book is much better than the movie. The first movie is totally different than the book, but in the second movie they tried a little harder, and that isn't that bad. I think you should see the movie if you liked the book, but don't prepeare yourself to see a very book based movie.

I loved that bit in the movie when he's like, "This is a pen. Dude, this is a pen!" (Not the exact words but whatever.) However, like almost every other film adaption of a book (the exceptions being A Series of Unfortunate Events and anything Disney) I preferred the books. I'm just like that, I guess.

The movie is bad if you read the book before witch I did they took things from sea of monsters and they didnt even use most of the parts from the book

It doesn't compare at all!

it doesn't... I enjoyed the lightning thief movie, but as far as it goes as an adaptation it wasn't good. The sea of monsters was worse though.

RUINED IT

terrible movie absolutely nothing like the book.

I GOT DAT MOVIE LAST WEEK IT SUCKS

The book was awesome...and the movie was the biggest let down in the history of the United States of America -_- It plain SUCKED!

oh my gosh this may have been the most disapointing book to movie i have ever seen. it didn't follow it at all they took a little side piece in the book and made it the whole movie. by the end of sea of monsters me and my friend were just laughing about how horribly wrong the whole thing was. i feel like i'm kinda ranting here but it didn't compare at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I doesn't to put it simply . . .

Not only was the movie itself bad, but they made such unnecessary changes, like why were they driving cars, when they should be 12 years old?

Michaela wrote: "Tell me your opinion!"

is this a legitimate question?

I attempted to watch the movie but only got about 30 minutes in before I gave up. The movie is majorly infuriating.

It was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Everyone was too old. LOGAN LERMAN??? What was the cast director thinking?!? He's an awful actor! He makes every character he plays seem cheeky, cocky, and obnoxious! And I'm not even going to start on whoever it was who played Annabeth.
I have a penchant for watching and enjoying mindlessly stupid movies (Avengers rocks!), unless, of course, Logan lerman is in the cast. That sucks for me.
I went to see the second one, hoping. I could ignore the terrible acting, bad screenwriting, and pathetic attempts at humor, and just enjoy the mindlessly stupid fight scenes. Logan Lerman was just as horrific as ever, same with everyorn else EXCEPT for Annabeth. Did that girl go through serious training or something? She was the only believable character in the entire movie. Well, cheers to her, but the rest of the cast sucks. I'm interested who they'll cast as Nico di Angelo, though. If they get him wrong, the later movies will just fall on their face.