What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. dime store paperback from the 80's. Children fending for themselves in an urban envinronment

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann I read this book several times in the 80's. Sister caring for younger siblings. I don't know what happened to their parents. I believe they scrounged for food/money. Can't remember city, but believe time period was later half of 20th Century.

message 2: by Justanotherbiblophile (last edited Nov 19, 2013 03:59PM) (new)

Justanotherbiblophile | 1767 comments Have you tried _The Girl Who Owned A City_?

No money, but definitely food. All the adults died of a disease. Electric can-openers were a thing ;)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) | 13 comments Not sure about the dimestore but I read The Boxcar Children several times in the 80's. Sounds similar.

message 4: by Tess (new)

Tess | 438 comments Was it "real life" rather than Science Fiction? If so, have you tried Homecoming by Cynthia Voigt? This is about several children who's mother abandons them in a parking lot, and they have to survive and try to find their grandmother.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann All good suggestions! I know it isn't "boxcar", but it could be either of the other ones. Or something else entirely. I just got the first suggestion out of the library on my Kindle and I will move on from there. Thanks for the help!

message 6: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Remember to come back and let us know if either of the suggestions was it--and if it was, which one was the winner. :o)

message 7: by Shanna_redwind (last edited Nov 26, 2014 06:37PM) (new)

Shanna_redwind | 858 comments Could this have been the The House at World's End series? They aren't in a city, but a small town and they have to try to survive on their own.

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39315 comments Mod
Ann left the group. Moving to Abandoned.