On the Southern Literary Trail discussion

More Authors > George Singleton

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (Reading Envy) (last edited Nov 19, 2013 12:19PM) (new)

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 178 comments I recently met George Singleton after a reading he did at the SCLA/SELA conference in Greenville, SC. George Singleton grew up in Greenwood, SC, attended Furman University, and is now working at Wofford College in Spartanburg, SC.

He is known more for his short stories, and even though I haven't read any, that's a YET. I bought a few books of them to try. How about you?

message 2: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

Diane Barnes | 4115 comments Mod
I read " The Half-Mammals of Dixie" and loved it. His stories are very funny with some sadness mixed in, because the people in them become very real while you're reading. What was he like in person?

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 178 comments Diane wrote: "I read " The Half-Mammals of Dixie" and loved it. His stories are very funny with some sadness mixed in, because the people in them become very real while you're reading. What was he like in person?"

He was hilarious. My husband works at his new institution, and by seeing my name on my nametag, he could tell me three things about me. Apparently he remembers everything anyone ever says....

message 4: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new)

Lawyer (goodreadscommm_sullivan) | 2699 comments Mod
Jenny wrote: "I recently met George Singleton after a reading he did at the SCLA/SELA conference in Greenville, SC. George Singleton grew up in Greenwood, SC, attended Furman University, and is ..."

I've not read George Singleton, although he's own my "should read" list. Thanks for beginning this topic.

Mike S.

message 5: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new)

Lawyer (goodreadscommm_sullivan) | 2699 comments Mod
Here's an interesting interview with Singleton from Indiebound: http://www.indiebound.org/author-inte...

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I have met him a few times in Columbia. He is an amazingly funny man, and knows a lot of the writers we talk about here. I've heard him mention Tom Franklin's and William Gay's name more than once. And he and Ron Rash happen to be best friends.

And the writing, oh is he funny! He is a very likeable man to say the least.