THE Group for Authors! discussion

142 views
Publishing and Promoting > Publish on demand

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick (last edited Nov 19, 2013 10:06AM) (new)

Nick (nickanthony51) | 400 comments Define distribution...


message 2: by Nick (new)

Nick (nickanthony51) | 400 comments Stephen,

I understand what distributors are and are not, I just wanted to make sure you understand.

Please take no offense, but Ingrams is not going to help get your book into bookstores or libraries any more than any other venue. Bookstores and libraries generally do not buy or place print on demand books because of the higher price of POD's, no return policies, and no big discounts.

Libraries have a limited budget and buy in bulk from vendors and distributors that give hefty discounts. Also most library books have special binding and covers that help them last longer and thus are a bit more expensive. With most libraries, books are approved by a central board of regents or governors. Individual librarians can make request based off of customers request, but that does not mean the board is going to approve.

Also, from what I understand from my fellow writers who have gone the POD route, they sell fewer print versions of their books than electronic versions. Most have generally abandoned the print versions as they are a pain in the ass to deal with and track.


message 3: by V.K. (new)

V.K. Finnish | 49 comments As does so much in our industry, worthwhile print depends a lot on your genre. I have middle-grade books, and I sell way more print than I do electronic. The problem with NOT having your book available through distributors who provide to libraries and bookstores is that you'll definitely box yourself into NOT getting them as customers. Does being on Ingram guarantee you'll get into libraries? No, but it leaves that door open. Especially for requests. If someone requests your book at a library/bookstore, they will be able to order it if you're available through their distributor.

I use LSI for my printing (and they use Ingram for distribution). It's a lot more work than chucking your stuff through CreateSpace, but it's been worth it for me.


message 4: by V.K. (new)

V.K. Finnish | 49 comments LSI (Lightning Source) is the big name in POD--they were the first ones to start doing it, and they are the company that (I believe) Amazon uses for CreateSpace.


message 5: by Steven (new)

Steven Drachman | 169 comments Thanks. I'll try them. I've got the get the price per book down to $14. Lulu was great, but a longer book (250 pages) becomes prohibitive for the 99%. Not me, my buyers.


message 6: by R.E. (new)

R.E.  Carter (papasmurf1911) | 20 comments Read and do research!!!!! The only difference between a small publisher that gets there stuff in stores and you is knowledge.


message 7: by V.K. (new)

V.K. Finnish | 49 comments Steven wrote: "Thanks. I'll try them. I've got the get the price per book down to $14. Lulu was great, but a longer book (250 pages) becomes prohibitive for the 99%. Not me, my buyers."

My paperback is 326 pages and it's up for $13. So your goal of $14 for 250 pages is definitely doable.


message 8: by Steven (new)

Steven Drachman | 169 comments VK - thats really helpful. On Lulu it's $20 - totally not feasible. It's too bad - Lulu is otherwise good.


message 9: by V.K. (new)

V.K. Finnish | 49 comments Yeah, I looked at Lulu a while back and decided the numbers weren't going to work for me. After a lot of research, started our own publishing business and went with Lightning.

BTW, added your book to my to-read. It sounds very non-conventional. In a good interesting way.


message 10: by Steven (new)

Steven Drachman | 169 comments Thanks! Hope you like it.


message 11: by Janet (new)

Janet Doolaege | 56 comments I really need some help. I'm hoping to publish my book Ebony and Spica: Two Birds in My Life for print on demand. I've created a contract with Lightning Source, but find their site very complicated. They then advised me to try Ingram Spark, which is supposedly better suited to individuals. But in both cases, I had to provide the name of a company. I made one up - but now I find that the agreement will be between Lightning Source and this non-existent company instead of myself. I can't, obviously, make or receive payments on its behalf. Can anyone tell me what I ought to do? I am stuck for the moment, and phone calls haven't helped, so far.


message 12: by Ken (new)

Ken (kendoyle) | 347 comments Janet, if you use LS, I highly recommend setting up a business (sole proprietorship with a DBA) or even an LLC, if you plan to publish several books. It's very easy to do so in most states. Even with Createspace, I recommend that authors set up a business entity that is separate from themselves.

This will also help with taxes down the road.


message 13: by V.K. (new)

V.K. Finnish | 49 comments Janet wrote: "I really need some help. I'm hoping to publish my book Ebony and Spica: Two Birds in My Life for print on demand. I've created a contract with Lightning Source, but find their site very complicated..."

I agree with Ken. You will need to set up a company. But, make sure you go to your state's govt sites and understand what you're doing.

Note to other authors: LSI is not the route for everyone. To work with them, you have to be a business (this doesn't have to be difficult, but you need to understand what you're doing). If you just want to upload a book and let someone else take care of the details, then do not use Lightning. Instead go with CreateSpace or Lulu, etc.


message 14: by Janet (new)

Janet Doolaege | 56 comments Thank you for your advice. I live in France and I'll have to find out if it's difficult to set up a company. Knowing French red tape, I think it probably will be. Somebody at Lightning Source suggested that I use New Generation Publishing as an intermediary. Has anyone had any recent experience with this (vanity?) publisher? CreateSpace produces only paperbacks and I wanted a small hardback with colour illustrations. The file is ready according to LS specifications but maybe now I can't use it! Am feeling very fed up...


message 15: by Toni (new)

Toni Bunnell (tonibunnell) | 70 comments Janet wrote: "Thank you for your advice. I live in France and I'll have to find out if it's difficult to set up a company. Knowing French red tape, I think it probably will be. Somebody at Lightning Source sugge..."Having looked at all the options, in particular Createspace, I decided to use a small press to print a paperback version of a book that I published as an ebook. I plan to have 200 copies printed. The book will be about 70 sides, have a colour front cover and several B&W illustrations; also a flap at the back and front similar to the dust flap on a hard back. This will make the cover more substantial. The cost per book will be £2.65. I plan to sell it for £5.99 (UK). I hope this is useful.


message 16: by Janet (new)

Janet Doolaege | 56 comments Toni wrote: "Janet wrote: "Thank you for your advice. I live in France and I'll have to find out if it's difficult to set up a company. Knowing French red tape, I think it probably will be. Somebody at Lightnin..."

This is interesting, but what will you do with the 200 copies? What about distribution to wholesalers and retailers?


message 17: by Toni (new)

Toni Bunnell (tonibunnell) | 70 comments I'm planning to sell it at book signings and through my website. Also, at folk festivals.


message 18: by Janet (new)

Janet Doolaege | 56 comments Good luck with it! One of my problems is that I write in English but live in a French-speaking country, so no book signings, book fairs, etc. I ought to set up a website, at least.

Apparently nobody has tried New Generation Publishing...?


message 19: by Toni (new)

Toni Bunnell (tonibunnell) | 70 comments Janet wrote: "Good luck with it! One of my problems is that I write in English but live in a French-speaking country, so no book signings, book fairs, etc. I ought to set up a website, at least.

Apparently nobo..."
Thanks Janet. I haven't heard of New Generation Publishing. Do you know much about it/


message 20: by Janet (new)

Janet Doolaege | 56 comments Nope. Only that they work with Lightning Source and offer publishing packages which are not particularly cheap. They have a website. I'd hoped to cut out the middleman.


message 21: by Toni (new)

Toni Bunnell (tonibunnell) | 70 comments Janet wrote: "Nope. Only that they work with Lightning Source and offer publishing packages which are not particularly cheap. They have a website. I'd hoped to cut out the middleman."Thanks Janet


message 22: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Cataliotti | 13 comments Janet:
re: book signings. Advice, don't overstock your book unless you have as sure-fire way of selling them. Better off doing signings POD. I've heard too much stock leftover. Someone goes into bookstore, walks right by table and spends money inside. B&N are very nice when it comes to letting new authors set up for signings. I wish you all the best, and really hope your book does extremely well.
Regards,
Stephanie
PS New Generation Pub. is expensive Better off if new authors group together and open their own pub co. Don't laugh, that's how almost all the big co.'s started. Author Solutions LLC is buying as many pub. cos. as they can get their hands on. Newest involves all those affiliated with Simon Schuster. Penguin/Random already with them and all their imprints. Their printer? Guess who? Their covers guess who? Oh what a wonderful world. LS is expensive. You're right, cut the middleman, does nothing anyway. Most things can be done yourself.
Pub. Pkgs. are good if they offer a good editorial service and marketing. They're out there. Best of luck.
Stephanie


message 23: by Janet (new)

Janet Doolaege | 56 comments Thanks for the good wishes, Stephanie. We don't have Barnes & Noble in France. I've been warned against Author Solutions. New Generation doesn't offer any marketing. Ho-hum, it's a jungle out there. Can you recommend any particular publishing packages?


message 24: by Laure (new)

Laure Reminick (LaureReminick) | 8 comments I used First Edition Design Publishing (in Sarasota, Florida) for both ebook and POD on my first novel, Seeking Sirius. First Edition began as a tech company back in the 1980s, and now often does the publishing for other publishing companies. They seem to have a good distribution, and I found I could trust their advice.

I did not need to create a company, though my husband and I have one for his consulting activities.

First Edition Design does NO editing. What they receive, they publish. So it's all up to you. But for ebook, POD and professional book cover, it was less than $1000


message 25: by Vannessa (new)

Vannessa Anderson (vannessaanderson) Toni wrote: "Janet wrote: "Good luck with it! One of my problems is that I write in English but live in a French-speaking country, so no book signings, book fairs, etc. I ought to set up a website, at least.

A..."


I found New Generation Publishing pricey http://www.newgeneration-publishing.com/.

Bookseller Self Publishing Package £1,699.00/$2,786.36

Standard Self Publishing Package - £299.00/$490.36

Advanced Self Publishing Package - £599/$982.36

Premium Self Publishing Package - £999/$1,638.36

I recommend http://publishing.booklocker.com/pack...


message 26: by Janet (new)

Janet Doolaege | 56 comments Vannessagrace wrote: "Toni wrote: "Janet wrote: "Good luck with it! One of my problems is that I write in English but live in a French-speaking country, so no book signings, book fairs, etc. I ought to set up a website,..."

Thanks very much, Vanessa. Booklocker does sound reasonable. I wonder if they accept payment in currencies other than dollars. I'll try contacting them.


message 27: by Vannessa (new)

Vannessa Anderson (vannessaanderson) If not, I'm sure www.booklocker.com will work something out with you.


message 28: by Janet (new)

Janet Doolaege | 56 comments Laure wrote: "I used First Edition Design Publishing (in Sarasota, Florida) for both ebook and POD on my first novel, Seeking Sirius. First Edition began as a tech company back in the 1980s, and now often does t..."

Thanks for the info, Laure. I'm still researching possibilities.


message 29: by Janet (new)

Janet Doolaege | 56 comments New Generation Publishing has a standard publishing contract at £299, which seems fairly reasonable - BUT it contains a clause which says that it will be renewable every year for a fee of £30. I'm wondering whether my annual royalties will even amount to £30. Does anyone know if this is standard practice?


message 30: by Laure (new)

Laure Reminick (LaureReminick) | 8 comments Janet wrote: "New Generation Publishing has a standard publishing contract at £299, which seems fairly reasonable - BUT it contains a clause which says that it will be renewable every year for a fee of £30. I'm ..."

Janet, I haven't noticed publishers in the US with that kind of fee.


message 31: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Benshana | 23 comments We use Lightning source at FootSteps. We actually created FootSteps as a publisher to have readers take us more seriously but found it very useful to have a company as it opens up many other doors.
We even got a tax rebate in our first year :)

But the key to going it alone is marketing. The best have contacts in media and know the lecture circuit or public speaking or just have as part of their career opportubnities to go to large gatherings.

If you don't have those conacts you have to get reviewed and make friends. Its a long route and will take years.

The only shortcut is to write something everybody wants.


message 32: by Janet (new)

Janet Doolaege | 56 comments Daniel wrote: "We use Lightning source at FootSteps. We actually created FootSteps as a publisher to have readers take us more seriously but found it very useful to have a company as it opens up many other doors...."

Daniel, could you tell me in which country you set up a company?


back to top