The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Library books disgusting?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sasha (last edited Nov 19, 2013 09:41AM) (new)

Sasha Since two weeks Belgium has a new TV-show all about books, Man over Boek (i.e. man about book). For their second episode, toxicological tests were performed on the most popular books in the library of Antwerp. The results were impressive; every single book tested positive for cocaine, even the books for children, and some books had traces of herpes.

Quite disturbing don't you think? It won't put me off library books any time soon, but I will never look at a library book the same again.

English article: http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013...

message 2: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Thank heavens for hand sanitizer. I knew I carried some around for a reason. Thanks for the post!

message 3: by Diana (new)

Diana Gotsch | 55 comments Worked in a library for almost 20 years. Handled thousands, perhaps millions of books. always washed my hands on a regular basis.

Not sure they wouldn't have the same results in any public place. Park benches, and playgrounds, drinking fountains, even shopping centers.

We used to laugh abut the fact that most of us would carefully wash our hands after handling the books and then check one out and take it to lunch with us.The only ones that really bothered me were the board books and the sex manuals.

message 4: by Michele (new)

Michele Rice Carpenter (michelericecarpenter) I'm not a library person. I prefer to buy and keep my books. My best friend loves the library. I'm not sure she ever thought about this. We live in a small town, though. I'm sure it's more of a problem in urban areas.

message 5: by Bian (new)

Bian | 53 comments When I was little trips to the library always made me excited. I never minded the condition of the books but as I got older I started noticing crumbs in the books, weird stains etc. The last straw was when I found blood on a page. Never went near a library book again.

message 6: by Kelly (and the Book Boar) (last edited Nov 19, 2013 01:37PM) (new)

Kelly (and the Book Boar) I check out TONS of library books. That being said, I WOULD NEVER check out a paper copy of "50 Shades". I don't want to know where that could have been ; )

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I’m already OCD about cleanliness, but the library’s worth it to me. I’m with Diana and Kelly on this one: NEVER one of THOSE books…

They’ve done a similar study on money too, doesn’t seem to have put anyone off cash. ;)

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Yeah, touching a dollar bill has to be like touching every public toilet in a 10-mile radius at one time.

I sent this article to my husband as a joke and said if I ever get herpes it won't be because I had an affair - it was bound to happen from the number of books I check out each year ; )

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

*snicker*

message 10: by yusuke (last edited Nov 20, 2013 02:38AM) (new)

yusuke | 13 comments We can get herpes from touching library books? Is that a proven fact or were you guys just joking?

message 11: by Diana (new)

Diana Gotsch | 55 comments As a retired library employee, here's related issue and a piece of advice for library users. Don't use anything you want or anything you don't want seen as a bookmark in a library book. We found some amazing things in returned books. Money, paychecks, report cards, even credit cards. Also "private" personal photos (yes, I mean what that sounds like) Lab reports,mushy love notes and one time a court summons. Two favorite finds: a very pretty gold chain and a ultra sound mounted a captioned to Grandma, my first baby picture.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Diana wrote: "As a retired library employee, here's related issue and a piece of advice for library users. Don't use anything you want or anything you don't want seen as a bookmark in a library book. We found s..."

I second this one, Diana. Plus most libraries offer free book marks, so why not use them? We found someone's birth cert in a book on geneology once! That and the flattened roach between pages are the wierdest I've seen.

message 13: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4601 comments Yikes! I love library books because they save me so much money! I also have a very large collection of my own books, so I pick and choose which books to purchase. I've found some gross library books and some that appear to be in really good condition as well. I'm always afraid of things like bed bugs from library books. You know if you get one with crumbs or something in it? I'm always a bit panicky with that stuff. I do enjoy getting my audio books from the library and those I keep in my car.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

@ Kristie - That's the biggest reason I love the library. :)

message 15: by Sasha (new)

Sasha @Yusuki: You cannot get herpes, the traces were too small to actually catch the disease. Nor could you get high of the cocaine, by the way.

message 16: by yusuke (new)

yusuke | 13 comments Sasha Elle wrote: "@Yusuki: You cannot get herpes, the traces were too small to actually catch the disease. Nor could you get high of the cocaine, by the way."

Ok, thanks. I can't afford to buy books, so it's good to know I am safe from library books.

message 17: by Diana (new)

Diana Gotsch | 55 comments An eye doctor recently told me that the Herpes virus(I assume they mean the facial type) is as common as dirt. You find it everywhere. That most people come in contact with it daily. The only mystery is why some get the cold sores and other don't. If your mother had it in her system when she was pregnant you, you almost certainly carry it too.

Paganalexandria I'm so happy almost everything I want at my library comes in an ebook or audiobook version. It's much more convenient since I can check out online, and never have to worry about late fees.

message 19: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Vincent (kristinkitty) I really don't like anything shared because of germs. Unless I own the book, I do all my reading digital.