Nora Roberts Groupies discussion

The Collector
This topic is about The Collector
Book Discussions > The Collector

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 5719 comments Mod
Here's the book blurb:

From #1 New York Times - bestselling author Nora Roberts comes a novel of a woman who needs nothing, a man who sees everything, and the web of deceit, greed, and danger that brings them together—and could tear them apart . . .

When professional house-sitter Lila Emerson witnesses a murder/suicide from her current apartment-sitting job, life as she knows it takes a dramatic turn. Suddenly, the woman with no permanent ties finds herself almost wishing for one. . . .

Artist Ashton Archer knows his brother isn’t capable of violence—against himself or others. He recruits Lila, the only eyewitness, to help him uncover what happened. Ash longs to paint her as intensely as he hungers to touch her. But their investigation draws them into a rarified circle where priceless antiques are bought, sold, gambled away, and stolen, where what you possess is who you are, and where what you desire becomes a deadly obsession. . . .

Quynh | 218 comments Ooh sounds very intriguing. So glad to have more from Nora to look forward to!

I'm always game for her books:) The hero as an artist? Picture him struggling or tortured or sensitive...whatever, any of those works!!!

Quynh | 218 comments Hm I'm thinking more tortured than struggling. Maybe he's knowledgable in the world of art collection or something that'll move the plot along. :)

Talya | 719 comments Mod
This is awesome, thanks Jonetta! April can't come fast enough now!

You're welcome!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with all of ya'll:Quynh,Talya,and Jonetta! This book/noval sounds very very interesting to read about! I love both of the characters's names:Lila Emerson and Ashton Archer! Wow, I don't think that I've ever heard of any of Nora's characters with such beautiful and handsome (beautiful for the female character and handsome for the male character,lol)! I do agree with Quynh,tho, cause she could b right about that. Maybe Ashton Archer is knowledgeable in the world of art collection that it would move the plot along and maybe it'll make the plot go by much more faster...just sayin. And Talya is right...April can't seem to get here fast enough,lol! Now I can't wait to read this noval! April totally needs to get here! It'll be here bfore we all know it...bfore its all said and done the month of April will be here,ya'll.

AliciaJ | 156 comments Ooooooh, this sounds really good. Can't wait to get my grubby little hands on it! LOL

message 9: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samswindle) | 68 comments Can't wait for this one. Sounds awesome!!

Can't wait to see a cover:)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Alicia and Samantha, hey. I totally know what ya'll mean,lol! I can't wait to get my grubby little hands on The Collector,too,lol! I absolutely can't wait to get a chance to read it! April can't seem to get here faster,lol! This noval does sound really good! I just wonder if it'll turn out to be somethin' like The Witness! U know that The Witness has a plot that is somethin' similiar to The Collector? 'Cause Abigail/Elizabeth went thru about the same thing that the new character Lila Emerson is gonna go thru...I agree it does sound awesome! I also just wonder how The Collector will turn out to be as a story....I don't know.My guess is that we'll all just have to wait and see and find out for ourselves.....

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Jonetta wrote: "Can't wait to see a cover:)"

Me,too! It should look absolutely fabulous (just like all of her other book covers do and did),lol!

AliciaJ | 156 comments I love books set in the art world too, so that is really what is drawing me to this one as well. And the way Nora writes suspense, I just know it's gonna be an awesome read.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

it sure does sound like it will be an awesome read,lol! I just love the way that Nora writes suspence....(especially romantic suspence)!

Maribel (itsmemaribel) | 64 comments I can't wait for this book to be released. After reading Homeport and Hidden Riches, which revolved around antiques and art, well Nora sure doesn't fall short when providing us with sufficient details to imagine the "artsy" process as it all occurs.

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1227 comments Jonetta, thank you for keeping us posted on the publication dates for Nora's new books. I can put in a request at my library for books as soon as they are ordered in the system. I have my fingers crossed that with 93 books ordered in the system, I can get one right away.

You're welcome and good luck with getting the library copy!

It's release day!

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 96 comments Buying it after work!! Can't wait to dive in!!!

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 219 comments For the first time in several release dates, I am not able to sit down tonight after work and read the newest Nora book cover to cover :( I am looking forward to diving in though and will make time for at least a couple of chapters!

AliciaJ | 156 comments Yay! it showed up on my kindle last night. I can't wait to get started too.

Talya | 719 comments Mod
I can't decide on hard cover or Kindle edition!

AliciaJ | 156 comments Talya wrote: "I can't decide on hard cover or Kindle edition!"

Knowing me, I'll end up with both. I love my Nora hardcovers. I still have the very first one that ever came out, Honest Illusions. I swear that is still one of my very favorites of hers.

I think if I'd started with a hardcover collection I'd be buying both:)

Sookie Cullen | 8 comments Finished this one last night. Really enjoyed this book and it will be moving up to a place of pride on my NR bookshelf. Yes, I have an entire bookshelf dedicated to just NR and I put them in order by how much I enjoyed them :-) Hope everyone enjoys this book also.

Emily (emilygtree) Hi Guys!! I just now found this group and I was wondering when you were going to start reading this?

May 1st.

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1227 comments I read the preview at the end of Shadow Spell and I can't wait! Read Window is my favorite Jimmy Stewart/Alfred Hitchcock movie and I've got to say, I'll intrigued by a heroine with the not so savory habit of spying on her neighbors.

Maribel (itsmemaribel) | 64 comments Almost done reading!!! It's rather awesome so far

Anita wrote: "I read the preview at the end of Shadow Spell and I can't wait! Read Window is my favorite Jimmy Stewart/Alfred Hitchcock movie and I've got to say, I'll intrigued by a heroine with the not so sav..."

There's a comparison to Rear Window??? Also my most favorite movie!!

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1227 comments Just that she likes to spy on her neighbors and sees a murder is the only similarity.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 219 comments I finished this last night and loved it! It is probably in my top three Nora stand-alones with Midnight Bayou and Black Hills. Definitely a reread someday :)

Without giving spoilers, here are some of my thoughts:

1. I really liked Lila. For me, Nora missed the mark a bit with Abra in Whiskey Beach. She was too flighty for my tastes. But, Nora once again hits the mark with Lila by balancing a bit of whimsy with a spine of steel. Plus, I loved that she wrote YA books about werewolves! Lol. I would like to know when one of her main female characters will be a high-powered lawyer, renowned surgeon, or brilliant scientist. Maybe the female lead could be the rich and successful one instead of the wealthy men we have seen featured in the last couple of books.

2. I had lukewarm feelings about Ash. I liked him 98% of the time but, oh my, was he pushy! He had everyone's best intentions at heart but I wanted to shake him a few times. I did love his relationship with his family and would have loved more of his mom :)

3. I was completely intrigued by the mystery. I liked the who-dun-it part but just loved the backstory of the Faberge eggs and the Romanovs! Does anyone know if any of that is based on actual history? It made me want to read more about the Romanovs - and Faberge! - and I am going to start digging for some good books.

4. The cursing was more prominent than in other books. Maybe it's just that I noticed it more, but there seemed to be more cursing than the norm. It wasn't extensive by any means but, while Nora regularly drops S and D, I don't remember her using the F word so much before. She also threw in the C word which I thought was unnecessary, but I truly loathe that word. I didn't find the cursing heavy handed or offensive, but it did stand out to me.

5. I loved Julie and Luke! I thought they were an amazingly intriguing couple. I also enjoyed that they had a bit of gender role reversal going on -- Julie art gallery manager in power suits, Luke yummy baker with crazy hours. I would love for Nora to revisit this couple! I don't know how it could be done without telling the same story, but if anyone can figure it out, it's Nora :)

Another great installment by Nora and now another year to wait for the next one!

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1227 comments Nicole, I'm really glad you liked the book. I can't wait to get my copy. I have to admit that I didn't read anything past your first paragraph. I don't read the inside cover previews either. I don't want to know anything about a book I'm going to read.