Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by L. (new)

L. Benitez | 118 comments Morning, all! It's a chilly Tuesday for me.

So, this topic is about Amazon, my favorite love/hate relationship website. I have my book listed on there and I can honestly say I haven't spent time to promote it via Amazon. I know that's not a good thing. So is there anyone out there who's successful with Amazon? If so, care to share how? :)

I would actually prefer to sell my book on Amazon because it offers the hard copy w/ all the illustrations, aka the full package. But the book is listed as 15.00 (Amazon cuts it to 13.00) so I'm thinking it might be too expensive...? But it's a solid book, almost 400 pages and enjoyable fiction! So I'm happy with the 15.00 price but who knows, maybe I'm starting out too expensive.

Anyway, so some Amazon help would be appreciated. Or just anything Amazon in general :) Holidays are coming, maybe sales will jump from it!

~L.

message 2: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 848 comments Amazon won't promote for you. I get most of my sales through AZN by far, although not paperbacks. The problem being, like you, I think they are too expensive, but to actually get any royalties that is what I have to charge.

I use facebook, gr and sometimes google plus, if that is any help. If you want to pay there are ads as well.

Is this dollars or £? Either way for a book that size it is probably ok.

message 3: by L. (new)

L. Benitez | 118 comments A.L. wrote: "Amazon won't promote for you. I get most of my sales through AZN by far, although not paperbacks. The problem being, like you, I think they are too expensive, but to actually get any royalties that..."

It's in dollars. I have to ask, what does AZN stand for? XD

So far I've used Amazon, GR, and I have yet to try Google+ but I'm up for the task! There's also the selling in person which I enjoy much more than online. Anyway, thanks for the help regardless! :)

message 4: by L. (new)

L. Benitez | 118 comments Thanks Karl!

I didn't even know Amazon had discussion boards. The more you know. All your ideas are good ones and I can definitely evaluate further on them, thanks! :)

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Shea (lisashea) | 149 comments I wouldn't rely on Amazon to do any of the "selling" work for you. It's critical for you to have a Facebook fan page, a Twitter account, and a Google+ page, because different people live in different worlds. You want to get to all of them. You need to post daily, to build up that interest in your material. Amazon is just the "final stop" in the process where the person then buys the item.

Lisa

message 6: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2165 comments I've heard a few people say to go on Amazon to promote of course this only consists of spicing up and reworking your author page to make it look as good as possible. Also disscussion boards which I am not familiar with so I cannot say anymore on the matter. Aside from that I dont know of any other way Amazon could help. I know Createspace has promotional tools one can buy but you'd have to have published through them even though they are owned by Amazon.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Hm, I agree with Justin... Seems like the best way to promote your work on Amazon, besides the obvious of writing a great book, is to make your author page + book page look great and well written...

You can promote your books out of Amazon, on GoodReads, forums, social media and other sites, linking back to Amazon sales, without spamming, of course! :)

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Shea (lisashea) | 149 comments Oh, absolutely, you want all marketing material on Amazon to be as stellar as possible. The author photo, author blurb, link to your active blog, and book blurb should all be as perfectly targeted to your audience as possible. They must support in every way the act of the reader pushing that "buy" button.

Lisa

message 9: by L. (new)

L. Benitez | 118 comments Well thanks everyone! :) I'm inspired to work harder than ever!