The Book Vipers discussion

Book Vipers Group Folder > Questions for Moderators

Comments Showing 1-50 of 102 (102 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (cramptonhodnet) If you need to ask the Moderators anything, post your questions here.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mrswhams) | 730 comments Mod
Hello Mods, sorry to be a pain but could you put up a direct link to all the Jan polls in your group description bit? I am almost always on the app and you can't seem to reach the polls on it except by link. Stupid thing. Thank you!

message 3: by Jo (new)

Jo Weston (joster) | 1697 comments Mod
Lisa, I'll do it now (hopefully!). On the front page?

message 4: by Jo (new)

There is one link which should have all three polls. Sorry, I just don't know how well that translates into the App.

Please let me know if it continues to be a problem.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mrswhams) | 730 comments Mod
Perfect, I've voted now, thanks Jo!

I do wish Amazon would invest a bit more in the GoodReads app. A lot of the useful tools are missing and no way to create links, etc. Anyway...

message 6: by Jo (new)

Good to know it works, and translates across to also work in the App.

message 7: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. Where do I find "Richard and Judy Recommended This One!"--- The book list for this???
I wanted to do all the Magic Square for next year.

Thanks

message 8: by Paul (last edited Dec 21, 2013 01:01PM) (new)

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) | 5462 comments Mod
Hi Kathy, their book club website is here: http://richardandjudy.whsmith.co.uk

And a list of books is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_...

message 9: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. Super list- we just choose anything from this list?
:-)

message 10: by Paul (new)

Oh yes

message 11: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 22 comments Re: Christmas/ Winter book challenge-- I've read 2 books but it does not show? What am I doing wrong?

message 12: by Elizabeth (last edited Dec 24, 2013 12:44AM) (new)

Elizabeth (cramptonhodnet) Did you set up a shelf and link it to the challenge? If you did and it's still not showing then there may be a bug which needs sorting.

message 13: by Carol (last edited Dec 23, 2013 10:06PM) (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 22 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Did you set up a shelf and link it to the challenge? zif you did and it's still not showing then there may be a bug which needs sorting."

I set up a shelf entitled "Carol's Challenge" but it showed no new titles. I deleted it and made a new shelf entitled "Carol's Winter Challenge" but still will not show that I have read 2 books. The message i get is:

"You have not yet read any books for this challenge.

In order for a book to appear toward your goal, you must add it to your '' shelf, and set the date read."

How can I add to my shelf when it is not there? What am I doing wrong?

message 14: by Paul (new)

First you need to set up a shelf named however you want.

Then you need to past the name of that shelf into the challenge box. My shelf is here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...
The shelf name is book-vipers-winter-challenge

Then you need to add books to that shelf.

There are two ways of doing that, but the easiest is to go to the title page of the book. Under the image, there is a want to read button, but alongside that is three vertical books, hover your mouse over it and all your shelves will appear, and that book can be added to numerous shelves.

message 15: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 22 comments Paul wrote: "First you need to set up a shelf named however you want."

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

message 16: by Paul (new)

Carol wrote: "Paul wrote: "First you need to set up a shelf named however you want."

THANK YOU!!!!!!!"

It worked then? :-)

message 17: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 22 comments yes finally - wishing you a happy holiday!!

message 18: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (charley_100) | 322 comments hi...am loving the magic square challenge guys. was just wondering if there are to be additional challenges? happy new year to u all

message 19: by Paul (new)

Happy New Year Charlotte

There will be another after the Winter challenge has finished.

message 20: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (charley_100) | 322 comments great :D

message 21: by Imogen (new)

Imogen | 60 comments How do i post a link to the books in my post? everyone can do it but me it seems!

message 22: by Elizabeth (last edited Jan 05, 2014 05:49AM) (new)

Elizabeth (cramptonhodnet) Imogen wrote: "How do i post a link to the books in my post? everyone can do it but me it seems!"

If you're on the app, then I haven't found a way to do that but, if you're using the main site then, when you write your post, like this one, have a look above it where it says "add book/author" and click on there. It takes you to the bit where you search the book details, click add and it adds the details to your post. Like this To Kill a Mockingbird.

message 23: by Imogen (new)

Imogen | 60 comments thanks Elizabeth, just found it after switching from the iPad to the main computer - the App is so crap, comparatively. The full site has so much more!

message 24: by Annika (new)

Annika | 77 comments Hi all, I hope this isn't a silly question, but can I ask: is there a difference between The Six Wives of Henry VIII and The Wives of Henry VIII? I looked up Weir's bibliography and only The Six Wives of Henry VIII is listed.

message 25: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (cramptonhodnet) The Six Wives of Henry VIII by Alison Weir is the one we are reading.

The Wives of Henry VIII. is by Antonia Fraser.

I'm sure both books cover the same ground but we will be discussing the Weir book.

message 26: by Annika (new)

Annika | 77 comments I. Am. An. Idiot.
How did I not notice that?!
Thanks Elizabeth.

message 27: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (cramptonhodnet) LOL. Easily done :)

message 28: by Jazzy (last edited Feb 03, 2014 12:22AM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 274 comments I was going to Second Don Quixote for the classics thread, but it seems although someone posted 15 mins ago it's frozen now.

message 29: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (cramptonhodnet) Jazzy wrote: "I was going to Second Don Quixote for the classics thread, but it seems although someone posted 15 mins ago it's frozen now."

I froze the thread, Jazzy, because the poll needed to be set up. I did that first thing this morning. Sorry you weren't able to second Don Quixote this time, but next time we have a classics thread for pre-1900 novels (May 2014) feel free to nominate it then :)

I had to unfreeze the thread briefly to explain why one of the nominated books, which had been seconded, could not be allowed to go into the poll. And then I re-froze it so no more posts could be added.

message 30: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 274 comments I will - if i can find it. I'm always wandering around lost in the gigantic maze of threads. :)

message 31: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (cramptonhodnet) Jazzy wrote: "I will - if i can find it. I'm always wandering around lost in the gigantic maze of threads. :)"

There will be a new thread for Classics nominations in May, so you won't need to look for the old thread.

April will be the turn of books published after 1900.

message 32: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (charley_100) | 322 comments so the poll results for the non fiction read has resulted in a tie... what happens in this case?

message 33: by Paul (new)

We decided that it would be April Non fiction read. It has come second so many times now that we were going to read it at some point. Have just sent the email.

message 34: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Overton | 4 comments I read the location is UK for Vipers. Can I join if I live in the US ?

message 35: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (cramptonhodnet) Of course you can Deborah :) Everyone is welcome here, and we have plenty of people from not just America, but all over the world!

message 36: by [deleted user] (last edited May 10, 2014 03:43AM) (new)

I think this question has already been asked above, but if I clicked on the sign-up picture at the top of the main page for the group to join in your current challenges, is there a place here that I need to set up ,or do I just set up a shelf on My Books page named that challenge ?

Thank you !

message 37: by Paul (new)

You need to set the shelf up first. When it is created click into it and copy the name from there. Go to the challenge and paste that in along with the number of books you want to read.

message 38: by [deleted user] (last edited May 10, 2014 04:53AM) (new)

Ok , I'll go give it a shot .

I made my shelf for my series challenge and added the books .

I also made a shelf for the magic square ,but haven't put any books on it yet. I need to look through the categories and decide which ones to try . I am reading one now that'd work for memoir ,so it can go in there I think .

So, when I click update, it will show that I read one of the books off the list, but won't link directly to my list ?

Sorry to be so thick .

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi folks
I was just wondering a little about the history of the group, like who started it, where you are from, how long it's bee on GR and was it elsewhere first ?

Thank you

message 40: by Paul (new)

Hi Kayla (or Julie?) The group was originated on something called mums net and name came from the alternative name for it which is nest of vipers. Hence Book Vipers

message 41: by Jill (new)

Jill (jilko1) | 10 comments Hi all,

I've just checked my status for the Summer poetry challenge and it says I have read 4 out of 3 books for this and therefore I've completed the challenge (even though I have read none so far?!) When I try to view the books, it says I haven't read any yet. Any suggestions?

message 42: by Paul (new)

Sorry have been out at a football tournament all afternoon...

Not sure why, i will have a look at your shelf later and get back to you.

message 43: by Jill (new)

Jill (jilko1) | 10 comments Thanks Paul. No rush though, it's not that important, more confusing :-)

message 44: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 1877 comments You're a poet
And you didn't know it.

heehee

message 45: by Paul (new)

Jill wrote: "Thanks Paul. No rush though, it's not that important, more confusing :-)"

I think that is might be a system glitch, i would suggest leaving the challenge, and rejoining pasting your shelf back in again.

message 46: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Smith (casmith512) Hello Mods! I'm new to this whole book clubs thing so this may seem like a silly question but: what exactly is a read-a-long? And how is it different from the monthly picks?

Thanks!

message 47: by Jill (new)

Jill (jilko1) | 10 comments haha well I doubt it Jason. I am in fact a complete poetry novice.
Thanks Paul, that's what I was thinking.

message 48: by Paul (new)

Hi. read-a-longs are for books that have come up frequently in discussions, or have come second several times in the polls we do. We create a thread for them and people are free to join in the discussions as they see fit. They normally run longer than a month too

message 49: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Smith (casmith512) Paul wrote: "Hi. read-a-longs are for books that have come up frequently in discussions, or have come second several times in the polls we do. We create a thread for them and people are free to join in the disc..."

Thank you!

message 50: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 1877 comments Anybody here had a problem with notifications? I seem to be getting the same 3 notifications on here. No new posts in this group seems strange?

« previous 1 3