2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2014 > Ellyn's 'Summer break is too long so I'm going to read as many books as possible' challenge

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ellyn (last edited Dec 19, 2013 03:34PM) (new)

Ellyn B So my break from University is 4 months long and less than 2 weeks in I'm already really bored. Normally I would do a summer course but they were all closed already so I'm challenging myself to read as many books as possible before the 3rd of March 2014.

I've selected one challenge from each month and found a book to match it. In some cases I have found multiple books which I would like to read for a topic and will be attempting to read as many of those as possible while still completing each month's challenge.

As of today, the 19th of November 2013 the list is:
Jan - Read an old childhood favourite:
Matilda by R Dahl

Feb - Read a book whose title contains the word red, pink, white or ivory
The Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig

Mar - Read a book by someone who has received a Nobel Prize in Literature:
Red Sorghum by Mo Yan

Read a book that has won a Hugo or Nebula Award:
The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi

Apr - Read a book which contains slang:
Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card

May - Read something from the decade you were born
No Enemy But Time by Michael Bishop
The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood

Jun - Read a biography on someone you are interested in
Eleanor of Aquitaine: A Biography by Marion Meade

Jul - Read a book from the ‘Read Them Twice… At Least’ list
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Márquez

Aug - Read a book about philosophy
The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom
Religion for Atheists by Alain be Botton
The Trolley Problem, or would you throw the fat guy off the bridge? A philosophical Conundrum by Thomas Cathcart
Thus Spoke Zarathustra by F Neitzche
The Nicomachean Ethics by Aristotle

Sep - Recess! Read a book just for fun
The Sun Also Rises by E Hemingway
Anasi Boys (American Gods 2) by Neil Gaiman

Oct - Read a book that takes place at sea
Life of Pi by Yaan MartelNov

Nov - Read a book that has been made into a movie
The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
The Pianist by Wladyslaw Szpilman

Dec (challenge not yet set)

Along with these books I will also be attempting to read one from the selected books of each month.

Wish me luck? I think I'm going to need it

message 2: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3888 comments Good luck Ellyn! Are you Australian? I know someone from there that's summer is happening right now.

message 3: by Ellyn (new)

Ellyn B Hey Adriana :)

Thank you! I am indeed an Aussie. Though the summer doesn't technically start till next month it sure feels like it's here already!

message 4: by Kaitlin (new)

Kaitlin (kait-k) | 513 comments I love your book choices! You have so many classics on there.

message 5: by Ellyn (new)

Ellyn B Thank you! I have to confess I'm kind of a sucker for a classic story

message 6: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 581 comments Hey Ellyn,

Whereabouts in Australia are you? I'm a Brisbaneite - NOT looking forward to a hot and steamy summer, but I'm sure it's on its way regardless!

You have taken on a mammoth task with your book list - are you planning to read all those books in 4 months??! Good luck with it!

Do you know about the Aussie Readers Group? https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

Just in case you need more books to add to your list, they have seasonal challenges - the Summer Reading Challenge begins 1st Dec - and a monthly challenge and a yearly challenge. It's also a good place to moan about the heat, when it feels like most people on GR are dealing with snow or frost!!

message 7: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 581 comments It's also a good place to find out more about Aussie authors. I've been doing the yearly Aussie Author Challenge so I've read at least 1 Australian author each month, plus extras in some months so I think I've read more Australian authors this year than ever before.

Unfortunately this is also my first year of using Goodreads to track my reading, so I can't look back to other years. But doing the Aussie Author Challenge has certainly made me more aware of which authors are Australian...

message 8: by Ellyn (new)

Ellyn B I'm a Sydney-sider originally but I'm based up on NSW's central coast now. It's interesting living in one of the few places on earth where if the fires don't get you, the floods will! Have you got somewhere with air conditioning that you can sit with your book/s?

I hadn't heard of them actually but I'll give them a look-see, thanks!

So are you doing the monthly books from them and from this group at the same time?

As for my book list, it's mostly so huge so I can keep my brain going until next semester. I have to read about 100 pages a week for Uni readings and then about four times that for assessments so I've got to keep my brain in the habit of reading a lot so it doesn't shrivel up and refuse to do it when I really need to lol.

message 9: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 581 comments No - it just depends on time, how I'm feeling and what books are being read. Ultimately, I really want to decrease my TBR list, but it creeps up quicker than I can read them!!! I'm a member of 5 groups, but am not very active in all of them. If I participate in too many group reads that aren't already on my TBR list, I feel like it's eating into my time to be reading those books already on my list!

But I'm probably most active in the Aussie Readers Group, because the seasonal challenges are fun and I can manage to read the number of books for it and normally I can fill them with books off my list. And sometimes I do the monthly themed reads as well - once again, if there are books on my TBR that meet the criteria.

This year I'd like to take part in some of the monthly themed reads for a couple of different groups, but I'll just have to see how I go! After all, I read for pleasure, so if it becomes a strain, then that kind of defeats the purpose!

What are you studying? And how long have you got to go? I went back to uni a few years ago and graduated a year ago now - how the year flies by!

And I think there are a few people in the Aussie Readers Group from the NSW central coast area who I'm sure would love to say hi!!

message 10: by Ellyn (new)

Ellyn B It sounds like you've got a lot of groups to try and keep up with! It is great to hear that Australian authors are being focused on by such a large group of devoted readers.

I'm 6 months away from finishing my bachelor of social science. I love the work so I don't really want it to end but hopefully I'll be getting my honours or Masters soon so it's not too bad

I'll go and join right now :)

message 11: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 581 comments Only 5 groups…at the moment!! But they each have things like group reads or challenges, or both! Needless to say, I can't keep up with all of them, but I try! I like the TBR Twin read in this group.

Good on you for almost being finished your undergrad - you must have had a better experience than me - after my undergrad, I said never again (and then changed my mind 10 years later!)!!

Oh, and there is air-conditioning in my house (only installed in summer last year!), but I don't like to use it unless the heat's unbearable - I hate wasting energy...

message 12: by Ellyn (new)

Ellyn B My goodness but I have been slack at keeping this updated!

So far I've finished 2 books; 'the little princess' and 'of mice and men'. I'm struggling my way through 'thus spoke zarathustra' but so far I've found that the best way to understand it is to read it aloud and there are certain limitations to that.

Not quite as far along as I hoped to be but given that I've been away from my books for 2 weeks longer than I anticipated I don't feel too horrible.

Now, up and at them (books)!