Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Correcting Authors' Names

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by GEM (new)

GEM | 28 comments If I spot a typo in an author's name (for example, A.Person instead of A.^Person), is this something I can change without needing permission from the group?

I wasn't sure if changing it would have knock-on effects, for example, leaving an empty author profile that would need deleting (or some other action).

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42415 comments Mod
If the correction applies to all books on the profile (as it would in your example), you should edit the author profile, rather than the individual book.

If the profile you are editing or the one your edits is going to combine it with is a claimed Goodreads Author profile, you won't be able to do the edit and will need to post it to the designated thread.

If you're unsure if an edit is correct, it's always good to check with this group.

Other than those caveats, go for it! :)

message 3: by GEM (new)

GEM | 28 comments That's great thanks.

One more question... one book I found had a single author name comprised of BOTH the authors of the book. (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...) What would be done in this case, change the double author profile name to one of the single authors, and then go back and add in the second author to the book?

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42415 comments Mod
Georgina wrote: "change the double author profile name to one of the single authors, and then go back and add in the second author to the book?"

Exactly right.

message 5: by GEM (new)

GEM | 28 comments All done thank you. I think that book had 5 incorrect author names over all the editions!