Books, Blogs, Authors and More discussion

Archive: book discussions > Reader Ratings

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

When looking for your next read are you guided by ratings readers have given? Are they a good guide? Some thoughts on this at: http://www.tanyarobinson100.blogspot.com
What do you think?

message 2: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 453 comments I don't really look into rating to determine whether or not I will select my next book. If I like what the books about and am really into it I'm going to want to read it regardless.

message 3: by Jim (last edited Dec 16, 2013 08:51AM) (new)

Jim Vuksic Many ratings are misleading.
It never ceases to amaze me how many Goodreads reviewers constantly award 5 stars to almost every book.

I have read quite a few books in my lifetime. Most were good, some were very good, a few were just okay, and even fewer were what I would qualify as being amazing; which is what a 5-star rating indicates.

Bottom line - trust your own judgement. One reader's "terrible book" may be another's "best book ever!".

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree Jim. We must remember reading is a subjective experience and that we are all unique and different. Consequently we appreciate and enjoy different things.

With respect to always giving 5 star ratings. This does considerably undermine the value of reviews, which is a shame. I suspect this often comes down to people's 'insecurities'. Few like to publicly criticise, despite what they may say in private. In addition some author's hope to gain more positive reviews of their own books if they give exaggerated ratings to others. None of which really helps anybody; reader or author.

I personally appreciate honest reviews, even if they are damning, because we are able to learn from them as well as the more positive ones. Probably more from the first.

Please therefore may I encourage all reviewers to give honest ratings so all of us, author or reader, know where we stand.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I posted, or thought I had, a response to Jim's comments. However, I can not see it. I am having considerable Internet problems so perhaps it has got lost. I will wait and see if it turns up.

In meantime would ask reviewers to be more honest with their ratings. Giving five star reviews when not justified helps no one; author or reader.

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim Vuksic Tanya wrote: "I posted, or thought I had, a response to Jim's comments. However, I can not see it. I am having considerable Internet problems so perhaps it has got lost. I will wait and see if it turns up.

In..."

Your original post is there, Tanya.

message 7: by Sadie (new)

Sadie Forsythe | 47 comments I have to admit that I tend to ignore 5 star reviews and concentrate on reading the lower ratings. This isn't because the 5 stars tend to be dishonest. I know this has become an issue recently and a topic of much debate, but I just plain usually find them unhelpful. If I'm reading the reviews, then I'm already interested in the book. I don't need to be talked into it. I need to know if there is anything that is going to change my mind about reading it. Thus, I'm more interested in what people dislike and if they are the same sort of thing I'll dislike than what people liked.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you Jim, I can now see it. My internet access has been terrible recently.

Fair point Sadie. Must admit I also tend to feel most five star reviews are made by family, friends and acquaintances of self-published authors. But need to remember this not always the case. Nevertheless, because this has been rather 'abused' in recent times many just simply ignore. In the end I think we have to rely upon the synopsis and genre to decide whether to read or not.