Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Blame It on the Mistletoe (Blame It on the Mistletoe, #1)
This topic is about Blame It on the Mistletoe
Book Issues > Missing "official URL" field on book edit?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eli (new) - added it

Eli Easton (elieaston) | 19 comments I self-pubbed a book and I wanted to add a ulr field to the book description so people can find where to purchase it. Most of the 'buy links' down below (Barnes & Nobel, etc) are not working.

I see a "url" field on other book descriptions, but on my book edit page that field does not exist so I can't enter a URL. (NOTE: I am a librarian and I can edit the other fields such as publisher, ISBN, etc just fine).

Does anyone know why I'm not getting the url entry field and how to fix it? Or if you can add the field for me, this is the url:
http://elieaston.com/books-by-eli-eas...

Eli

message 2: by Renske (new)

Renske | 10786 comments The official URL seems to be one of the things Goodreads authors can't edit, because too often authors have used it wrongly

I added the link for you.

I see you replaced the ISBN with the ASIN. Is that the ISBN of the general ebook edition? Then the Kindle edition and the ebook edition should both be listed on Goodreads as different editions of the same work. And a valid ISBN should not be removed from Goodreads.

message 3: by Eli (new) - added it

Eli Easton (elieaston) | 19 comments Renske wrote: "The official URL seems to be one of the things Goodreads authors can't edit, because too often authors have used it wrongly

I added the link for you.

I see you replaced the ISBN with the ASIN. Is..."

Thank you!

Yes, this is my first self-pub. I got an ISBN from bookbaby but Amazon assigned their own ASIN when I put it on Kindle Direct. Needless to say, with the ISBN the Amazon link GR generates wasn't working and none of the others were either, so I changed it to the ASIN to get at least the Amazon link right.

It's all the same ebook, not really a different edition. Next time I do this, I will do bookbaby first and use the ISBN when I sign up for Kindle Direct Publishing.

Thanks so much for the tip.

If I put up the other one with the ISBN will reviews be shared across both of them? I don't want there to be 2 places people post reviews.

message 4: by Renske (new)

Renske | 10786 comments That is a problem with ebooks, several places don't use the ISBN but their own identification numbers. The best way we can handle that is by adding them as different editions of the same work. All reviews will be shown together.
You have now both the Kindle and the ebook edition https://www.goodreads.com/work/editio...

message 5: by Eli (new) - added it

Eli Easton (elieaston) | 19 comments Perfect! Thanks so much for your help.