Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1) Fifty Shades of Grey discussion


965 views
All of You-STOP

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Tess People who judge other people who read this really make me mad. I read this for the psychology of it. I want to be a forensic investigator, so I felt like reading up on the different mindsets of individuals. But I really loved Christian's character. Not because he was a sex-god, but because he was a multi-layered person who had DEPTH. Everything that happens is for a reason people. You don't just choose to beat the shit out of people for no reason. So if you PLEASE--it's fine if you didn't like the book, but do not call me a bad person for reading it, you little shit.


message 2: by Arielle Rae (last edited Nov 17, 2013 05:44PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Arielle Rae Aguilar *clap clap clap* Bravo! Completely agree!
You shouldn't judge someone based on the books they read... You should just judge them on whether they read books or not at all ;)


Jacquelyn Whenever I tell people I read 50 shades it makes me angry that they judge and say I only read it for the sex and make fun of it. It really is more than that and the reason I love it is for the love story. <3 :D


Terri I agree with all three of you ladies. People need to stop being so concerned with what other people are doing. It's all about the story. I pretty much don't care what the content is as long as it's told well.


Paula The story wasn't really told well, but I read the books and enjoyed them not because they were really well written, but because they were different from anything I have ever encountered before. I had never read a book in the genre before and was pleasantly surprised by it. I would read these books again because I enjoyed them. By the way, a lot of people I respect have read these books and I imagine they did so for the same reasons I did.


Colleen Rose I think you are my new hero! I love BDSM novels, always have and I in particular love Red Phoenix and I loved "Brie's" story.
I read on here someone's comment of how it was nothing but abuse and it just glorified the violence, well I took that as personal offense because not only do I read about it, I live a BDSM relationship. What disgusts me is that people always want to pass judgement and I'm tired of it. I'm not a freak or a deviant. I don't cheat on my Man and I don't have sex with multiple people. I don't harm children or animals. I pay my taxes and am a productive member of society. If I read real crime drama, does that mean I want to murder someone or inflict harm to them? Ummm NO. IMO I found FSOG slightly vanilla (I know you all hate me now) but don't get me wrong, I loved the series but it's not what my relationship is like. Do I play a little more hardcore? Yes I do and in fact I'm a Switch, one who like to receive as well as inflict punishment and play. Has E.L.James made millions of folks happy? You're damn right she has and she will go down in history as a great writer of our times. I'm pretty sure she might even be responsible for a population increase too.


S.L.J. personally i prefer Patric Bateman. but that's just me.


Tina J Rose Mikaelson *The Original* wrote: "People who judge other people who read this really make me mad. I read this for the psychology of it. I want to be a forensic investigator, so I felt like reading up on the different mindsets of in..."

You do know that 50 Shades was originally written as Twilight fan fiction, right?
I'm not saying anything, as I love Twilight.....but surely you can see where all the hate comes from?


Nazirah Hussin Rose Mikaelson *The Original* wrote: "People who judge other people who read this really make me mad. I read this for the psychology of it. I want to be a forensic investigator, so I felt like reading up on the different mindsets of in..."

I salute you Rose, seriously! that's how i felt when every other people kept sarcasm at me 'YOU READ FIFTY SHADES?' they make me sound like some kind of weirdo...it is true, by reading this book, you get to learn more from its psychology. There is people like this out there...anyways, i want you to know, i understand...and just be awesome!


message 10: by Dan (last edited Nov 18, 2013 08:50AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan Arrow Seeing all the different depictions of what people believe relationships and love to be all about is exactly why I wrote So...What About Love? I find all of it interesting and will never find enough material to draw from within the genre. I do appreciate everyone's opinion. I read it for a market study of what was currently being sold after I'd written three novels. I also enjoy the multi reactions of those that are shocked that I would even pick 50 Shades up!


message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

couldn't agree more. sick of people slagging this book off(most of them have never even read it) and slagging of the people who read/like it. if we like the book who cares. who are we hurting by enjoying this story? nobody! hate all the negative press it gets, i have never known a book to cause so much drama. it's just a book about sex there are plenty of them out there.


message 12: by Foo (new) - added it

Foo Bar Rose Mikaelson *The Original* wrote: "People who judge other people who read this really make me mad. I read this for the psychology of it. I want to be a forensic investigator, so I felt like reading up on the different mindsets of in..."


Fabitha I'm sorry but I disagree. I mean, I agree with the fact that people shouldn't judge, but I think that book was crap. Sorry, my opinion. I didn't find any depth in the characters, the story was plain and the sex scenes overstated. If you like it, it's ok for me, I just don't understand why.


message 14: by Karen (new) - rated it 1 star

Karen Rose Mikaelson *The Original* wrote: "People who judge other people who read this really make me mad. I read this for the psychology of it. I want to be a forensic investigator, so I felt like reading up on the different mindsets of in..."

This book was total crap. If you want to be forensic investigator, this book isn't going to help you. If you wanted cheap, badly written escapism, then this is your book! Read non fiction texts on FI an best of luck in your career path!


RedRedtheycallmeRed I'm pretty sure this goes both ways. I think all the people who thought it was crap (me included) have been on the receiving end of some nasty remarks as well, just because we didn't think it was the best book ever.

I have better things to do with my time than worry about what others think of my book selections.


Sönïa Dhillion Colleen~A Moth drawn to Your Flame~ wrote: "Rose I think you are my new hero! I love BDSM novels, always have and I in particular love Red Phoenix and I loved "Brie's" story.
I read on here someone's comment of how it was nothing but abuse ..."


I understand what you mean I never liked the book because I think the author never portrayed bdsm properly that's what I hated I liked Christian had his problems. But he got obsessive and thought sex was solution of every problem plus Ana never said no . I read books such as the siren by tiffany riezs that series had hard core bdsm, passion, love understanding


message 17: by Dan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan Arrow I agree with you Collen, I think there were a few things missing on several levels, but E.L. James says in interviews that she did almost all her research from the safety of her computer. So, what is to be expected?


Nikki Everyone has their own opinion about Fifty Shades of Grey and that's fine. I personally loved it..I thought the book was engaging but if there are people out there who hate it, than who am I to say you're crazy. I think people are really caught on the sexual aspect of the book and I can understand that but I felt like it was nicely done. I loved the story and thought it was definitely interesting but I can understand where Rose is coming from. Many of my friends have thought I'm crazy to like such a book.


Michael Stephenson This is true. I think that all to often, we (acting as critics ourselves) tend to judge not only the work that is put out but the people who enjoy it not wanting to recognize that the same work can and will appeal to different people for many different reasons. I myself have written a book similar to Fifty Shades of Grey (shameless plug, A Negotiation of Wounds (Negotiation Series, #1, however, simply because I have written the characters the way I have doesn't mean that I believe that their thought processes are the way in which the world work. Conversely, an independent reader does not have to fully identify with the work on a shallow or superficial level. Maybe some people will recognize and sympathize with the hidden emotional scars of Christian, or Preston in my book, and understand their motives as the OP said. Others will identify with something else. While others still don't necessarily want to identify but simply want a good story. For me, it is a little of all three of those things for me. As a guy, I didn't much read it for an arousing experience but because I am interested in the characters.


message 20: by Ren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ren Alexander Rose Mikaelson *The Original* wrote: "People who judge other people who read this really make me mad. I read this for the psychology of it. I want to be a forensic investigator, so I felt like reading up on the different mindsets of in..."

I agree! You couldn't have said it better. I have a degree in criminal justice, so I also read more into his levels of depravity, but also into his vulnerability, glimmers of kindness, and his childlike behavior. Loved it.

BTW, your profile pic is delicious! I LOVE Joseph Morgan and think he would make an excellent Dr. Flynn! ;)


Yasmila s Rose Mikaelson *The Original* wrote: "People who judge other people who read this really make me mad. I read this for the psychology of it. I want to be a forensic investigator, so I felt like reading up on the different mindsets of in..."

right on! i agree with you! but not about the little shit part... people stop hating on this book!


Alicia Beharry I totally agree with Rose I think people needs to grow up and look at the bigger picture. The book was written as a romantic fantasy novel however the author did put the plot as a real life situation with regards to the BDSM. Otherwise reading a book isn't not a crime and people really need to broaden their horizons and stop stigmatize person furthermore nobody has the right to judge but God.


Sönïa Dhillion Alicia wrote: "I totally agree with Rose I think people needs to grow up and look at the bigger picture. The book was written as a romantic fantasy novel however the author did put the plot as a real life situati..."

I agree with you but I disagree with real - life situation Christian a young billionaire, who is handsome, flies a plane, with kidnappers involved and some of the bdsm was not right so were is the real life fantasy yes real life no


Alicia Beharry Sonia if I may quote what I said, "The author did put the plot as a real life situation with regards to the BDSM" I am not speaking of the character my dear I am speaking about the plot with the BDSM aspect.


Barbara Berendt When a book sells 90 million copies, is translated into 52 languages, and sets the record for the fastest selling paperback of all time, most dedicated fiction readers will sit up and take notice. I was slow to pick up this series, but when I finally did I really enjoyed it. No one should ever have to apologize for liking a book nor have to justify why. I think this book has bridged a gap between mainstream literature and fan fiction as well as BSDM and romantic fantasy. The sheer popularity has resulted in "when worlds collide". I say hooray to EL James for all she has accomplished and am looking forward to more.


message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

its awesome.....!!!!!!!!!!!!


message 27: by ~*~Princess Nhya~*~ (last edited Nov 28, 2013 08:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

 ~*~Princess Nhya~*~ Alicia wrote: Sonia, if I may quote what I said, "The author did put the plot as a real life situation with regards to the BDSM" I am not speaking of the character my dear I am speaking about the plot with the BDSM aspect. "

Exactly.. I agree. The plot, or issues, that Christian has; the things in his life that he's experienced, greatly affected how he approaches all of his relationships, but especially those with physical & emotional intimacy. The problem he had is a very real/realistic issue, & how he chose to handle it, is a real, human reaction/self- preservation tactic, for some.

I loved this series for the plot concerning the connection/emotional foundation of the characters. This isn't a hardcore BDSM trilogy. BDSM just happens to be apart of it. Its the result, if you will, but not the real Trigger of Christian's issues. I think a lot of people miss that point. The BDSM aspect was not the meat of the story therefore this is why more hardcore tones/scenes were not present within the overall story.

Honestly, this is why I liked it so much. I've read some hardcore BDSM, and more often than not, I find it bores me a bit. A lot of times the story comes off more like a BDSM instruction manual on the physical aspects of such things. Rarely do I find a hardcore BDSM story with heart so I must admit, the "vanilla" side of the BDSM spectrum presented in this book, was a nice change for me.

And if the author knows that they don't want the BDSM to be the center focus of the story, why would they choose to do/put all of their "researched knowledge" about the lifestyle in the story anyway? Or better yet, why choose to go deeper than the surface with BDSM, when they know the point of the story, isn't taking that route?


Alicia Beharry Princess Nhya you make a very good point that where people got lost in their point of view on the storyline.
E.L James said she knew persons who live BDSM lifestyles. But she didn't want the whole book to be based on BDSM.

Alot of persons were confused on the whole scenario it just shows that no matter how tough you play there is always a softer side to you. Trust me I know, most persons who had a very hard childhood eventually build a wall to keep themselves from harm.


Carole Colleen~A Moth drawn to Your Flame~ wrote: "Rose I think you are my new hero! I love BDSM novels, always have and I in particular love Red Phoenix and I loved "Brie's" story.
I read on here someone's comment of how it was nothing but abuse ..."


kudos to you! I would recommend The original sinners series by Tiffany Reisz.


Christina Teilmann I wouldn't dream of judging anyone for reading this book (I read all 3 books myself), nor would I ever judge anyone for liking and enjoying the book, just because I didn't do so myself.
It's perfectly possible to love the book while still acknowledging that the premise of the plot is BS. (Same thing happened with me when I read "Twilight", I knew it was crap, but I still enjoyed it.)

I DO, however, question the intelligence of people who think any part of the story or the characters were plausible and could happen/exist in real life, and who want a Christian Grey in their life, and I in particular judge people who think E.L. James has a good grasp of human psychology. I mean, for God's sake, she doesn't even understand a concept as simple as the subconscience...


message 31: by Savannah- Quad Motherin' Book Readin' Diva (last edited Nov 30, 2013 07:15PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Savannah- Quad Motherin' Book Readin' Diva Honestly, I didn't like the heroine, but thought had the author focused more on Christian's character and given him a female counterpoint I could respect it would have been a great series. I love a good, conflicted, tortured male lead.

I don't judge anybody for reading it because hell, I read it. LOL Didn't care for it, but how can one know that if you don't take the time to read? People who judge others based on them exploring something make no sense. I'd rather jump on a bandwagon and see for myself what the hype is about than just lump everyone in one category and dismiss it.


message 32: by ~*~Princess Nhya~*~ (last edited Dec 01, 2013 07:42AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

 ~*~Princess Nhya~*~ Christina wrote: I DO, however, question the intelligence of people who think any part of the story or the characters were plausible and could happen/exist in real life, "

Well, I guess ur questioning mine then. Cos I do know people through personal experience as well as witnessing things through friends' experiences; who have in fact struggled or gone through a lot of the issues that Christian has in this book/series. From what he went through growing up, to how he chose to handle or deal with the outcome of such things through trying to gain/or keep control in their personal relationships.

So, yes I do believe that side of the plot/premise of the story, is very real cos I've seen such things in real life.


Krizza Mae Martin The scenes are mind-blowing. I'm just a 14-year-old kid who read this. But what can I say, I'm an open-minded person. And screw the haters.


message 34: by Thea (new) - rated it 1 star

Thea Barbara wrote: "When a book sells 90 million copies, is translated into 52 languages, and sets the record for the fastest selling paperback of all time, most dedicated fiction readers will sit up and take notice. ..."

Barbara wrote: "When a book sells 90 million copies, is translated into 52 languages, and sets the record for the fastest selling paperback of all time, most dedicated fiction readers will sit up and take notice. ..."

I agree, that she has bridged the gap between BDSM and the mainstream but I felt the book was poorly written and predictable. The characters shallow and without depth, (having a troubled past does not equal depth), and the dialogue laughable. As far as the BDSM scenes go, this author clearly has no idea what she is writing about and should have done more research on BDSM before attempting to portray it in a novel.


 ~*~Princess Nhya~*~ Krizza Mae wrote: "The scenes are mind-blowing. I'm just a 14-year-old kid who read this. But what can I say, I'm an open-minded person. And screw the haters."

OMG! *putting on mommy hat & pants* why are you reading this book?! O.O


Terri ~*~Princess Nhya~*~ wrote: "Krizza Mae wrote: "The scenes are mind-blowing. I'm just a 14-year-old kid who read this. But what can I say, I'm an open-minded person. And screw the haters."

OMG! *putting on mommy hat & pants* ..."


Agree!! 14?? My mouth fell open.


Sönïa Dhillion Yeah 14yr old shocker but u can't judge everyone maturity level different


SassyPsycho Rose Mikaelson *Dauntless* wrote: "People who judge other people who read this really make me mad. I read this for the psychology of it. I want to be a forensic investigator, so I felt like reading up on the different mindsets of in..."

Thank you. Thank you. I fill the same way


Sönïa Dhillion I think Christian background which related to how he behaved was interesting but that's all there is to the story fsog was mt first intro to bdsm which left me confused only understood after I read others books. My only compliant is the author never did correct research all the info came from was a laptop and that's it which was not accurate n insult to those who live that lifestyle. Am I embarrassed that I read the book no


Sönïa Dhillion Yeah a fictional one but I think people forget thats why they hate


Alicia Beharry Krizza Mae wrote: "The scenes are mind-blowing. I'm just a 14-year-old kid who read this. But what can I say, I'm an open-minded person. And screw the haters."

Say what??????? Omg you're a baby why are you reading these kind of books.


Kelle Tina J wrote: "Rose Mikaelson *The Original* wrote: "People who judge other people who read this really make me mad. I read this for the psychology of it. I want to be a forensic investigator, so I felt like read..."

No! I don't see where the hate comes from. I happen to LOVE both Twilight and fanfic, so I don't get it. I never save the connection between the characters and REALLY dont care. All authors get their ideas from somewhere, I wish people would leave this topic alone already. She was NOT the first person to do it and won't be the last.

So now tell me why it's such a big deal?


message 43: by ~*~Princess Nhya~*~ (last edited Dec 04, 2013 06:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

 ~*~Princess Nhya~*~ I've always wondered why it's such a big deal myself. Kelle. Cos so many people HATE this trilogy for many reasons across the board. U have those that hate it cos it started as a fanfic from twilight. U have those that hate it cos it's not "Representative" of real life BDSM (this one always baffles me cos... hello! it's fiction! Why care if it represents real life BDSM scenerios? ITS FICTION. Not to mention the fact the book is not based in the BDSM lifestyle. Its just a small part of the story) so on & so forth...

But then u have those more reasonable disagreeable readers, who just honestly didn't care for anything about the book. From the way its executed, to the characters in general, to the dialogue/writing. These POV's I'm more inclined to not only listen to, but consider, when having a discussion about this trilogy. Anything else outside of this, is just wasted oxygen/keyboard space, IMO.


Juliea Q Smith Rose Mikaelson *Dauntless* wrote: "People who judge other people who read this really make me mad. I read this for the psychology of it. I want to be a forensic investigator, so I felt like reading up on the different mindsets of in..."

I would be nervous of a forensic investigator using this book as a means to learning about the profession.


Angela Forshee Honestly....You can't judge a book by it's cover, just like you can't judge a person by the books they read!!! I loved this book for so many different reasons. The depth of Christian, the love shared between Christian and Ana. My favorite aspect of the book was that love really can change a person. His love for Ana changed his heart and made him the person he always was. The sex was just a bonus for me. I loved the suspense of the ex Sub stalking, the crazy boss and her unwillingness to give up on the person she saw him to be. She never signed the contract but they reached a compromise together due to their love they shared. I am not ashamed I read this book and anyone who judges me for doing so obviously needs to get a life....maybe their deprived love themselves.


message 46: by Savannah- Quad Motherin' Book Readin' Diva (last edited Dec 04, 2013 01:32PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Savannah- Quad Motherin' Book Readin' Diva If my 14 year old even understood the sex scenes in this book I'd send them to therapy....and the convent.

Scares me thinking kids who don't have the emotional maturity to put this mess in a healthy, objective perspective are reading this. Heaven help us.


message 47: by Mmars (new)

Mmars What other books have you read for information about forensic investigation?


Michael I pretty much got use to all the hate. I don't really care cause I like what I like and people share different taste. Christian needed to see a psychiatrist but I thought he had redeeming qualities.


message 49: by Shreya (new)

Shreya Thea wrote: "Barbara wrote: "When a book sells 90 million copies, is translated into 52 languages, and sets the record for the fastest selling paperback of all time, most dedicated fiction readers will sit up a..."

I completely agree that a character having a troubled past does not mean the it is explored well from a psychological standpoint.

I couldn't care less about who reads what. But this book really was poorly written with terribly shallow characters that irked me to no end.


Mochaspresso Savannah~Quad-motherin'-book readin' diva wrote: "If my 14 year old even understood the sex scenes in this book I'd send them to therapy....and the convent.

Scares me thinking kids who don't have the emotional maturity to put this mess in a healt..."


I don't know about this particular 14 year old, but I will say that not everyone shelters their kids in such a manner that they can't handle reading something like FSOG. There are young people in the world who are mature, who already know about sex and have a solid enough grasp on reality vs fiction that can handle the subject matter. I was one of those types and read stuff just as racy as FSOG at that age and I'd like to think that I turned out ok and wasn't scarred for life behind it.

As an adult, I wouldn't go so far as to say that it is appropriate reading for a 14 year old....I agree that it isn't. But, imo, there are probably more unhinged 35 yr olds walking around who shouldn't be reading either.


« previous 1
back to top