Urban Fantasy discussion

Magic and Loss (Golgotham #3)
This topic is about Magic and Loss
Buddy Reads > Buddy Read - Magic and Loss

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Dawn (dawnv) | 367 comments We will start reading Magic and Loss by Nancy Collins on or about 11/20/2013.
Feel free to chime in.

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 822 comments So I started this one tonight, didn't get much read, but remembered why I like this series, it is the world they are set in. I really like Golgotham, the quirkiness of how magic is and the people that live there.

******** Spoilers Chapter 1 - 5

I liked how normal Tate and Hexe's life is, they are worrying about money, do they have enough to pay the bills. That sure isn't something that you see often in books, let alone this genre.

I think Tate's job seems interesting, especially while they are building a dragon, how fun is that!

I find it funny how Hexe is leery of his father, granted he just learned who he was and that he is someone of power doesn't help.

I hate that Boss Marz is back, he sure did make a big splash. I hope that someone is finally able to kill him before the book is done.

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 822 comments ********* Spoilers Chapters 6 - 10

I really liked the idea of the Jubilee Celebration. I found how Tate's friends got a little more that they bargained for after dark and lit out of there.

I don't know if it is possible, but I hate Boss Marz more than ever now for what he did to Hexe. I can't believe that someone would do that and in such a way that they could be damaged permanently. I also hate how he is shaking down everyone for more money. Of course they are going to do it because the alternative is so much worse. This man needs to die and in a very painful way.

I was surprised by Tate being pregnant, although I did love how she found out. I understood her fear of telling Hexe, but his reaction was super sweet.

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 822 comments ********* Spoilers Chapters 11 - 15

I can understand why Hexe was mad with Tate for running into the fire. I knew her actions were done with good in mind and that she wasn't thinking about the baby because it is so new.

I loved Hexe's mother's reaction to the baby. I also found the info she gave out to be intriguing. Why do I have a feeling that this Jake will come back into play at some point.

I can't believe that Hexe got the glove thing, so obvious that there would be more to it. I get why Hexe wanted it, he felt like he was less with the injury and couldn't provide for his growing family.

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 822 comments ******* Spoilers Chapter 16 - 20

I like that Tate's boss has faith in her and wants to expand their relationship. She seems to really like her job and he is willing to work with her being pregnant and then having the baby. I did find myself chuckling because he kept talking about her foaling.

I was stunned to learn about Hexe's other grandparents. I feel sorry for them. They are at fault things with Horn, but to loose contact with their grandson the way that they did, not good. I was horrified when they overheard what Hexe said about them.

I knew that glove was a bad thing, it seems to be taking over Hexe and not in a good way. I find it interesting how he doesn't seem to remember what happens when the glove is in charge. I did feel bad due to the call between Tate and Hexe, but she did the right thing. I'm just sad that it has sent her home, I don't expect things to go well there. I also think that Tate needs to contact Hexe's parents about things, he needs help and Tate is over her head right now.

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 822 comments ********** Spoilers Chapters 21 - 25

I'm not sure where to start with Tate's mom. Her initial reaction went about how I expected and my feelings about her didn't change. However when Tate's mom told her the real story of how the parents met, I felt sorry for her, sort of liked her, especially when the dad chimed in on how he knew all along. I think he is right to not tell the mom that he knew about the potion. I liked the mom more when she told the doctor off. Of course then when Lady Srya showed up and the mom turned back to a bitch, well, I guess I should have gone with my first instinct. I'm glad that Hexe's mom is in the know about the glove.

I can't stress enough how much I loved how Clarence the butler! I loved how he told off Tate's mom, how he is going to help Tate. He won me over even more when he offered to support Tate and Hexe, what a great man!

Now onto Hexe. I'm glad that he knows what is going on. I was stunned when he woke up with the glove in charge, but worse, so much worse...I can't believe that he cut off his hand to make things stop. He was going to the doctor in the morning, couldn't he have wait?????

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 822 comments ******** Spoilers Chapters 26 - 30

I can't believe that there wasn't more to Hexe's hand. It seemed like there was more of an issue with what people would think than the actual physical act.

The birth of the baby was sort of funny, mostly because Tate didn't have a clue with what was going on. I was surprised by Tate's mother's reaction, even more surprised when Hexe's mother admitted to what she did. I felt sorry for Horn when he told the story of Hexe's birth. And then the baby is kidnapped, WTH, you would think that the uncle would give up after a while.

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 822 comments ********** Spoilers 31 - end

The last few chapters went really fast. I really like how all of the citizens of Golgotham banded together to go after the baby. I thought the plan was a good one and of course the good guys won.

I really liked how things ended. Horn reunited with his parents, finally being called dad, Tate reconciled with her parents and using their money to make her world better, Tate using her talent to make Hexe and others like him, lives better. The way that everything was so cleanly wrapped up, it makes me wonder if the series is done, I sure hope not!

Dawn (dawnv) | 367 comments Ok so I am not reading your spoilers but I started it last night and fell asleep before I got very far in.
I do like the world in this series and I have to say it is nice to see a couple wit money issues.

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 822 comments Dawn wrote: "Ok so I am not reading your spoilers but I started it last night and fell asleep before I got very far in.
I do like the world in this series and I have to say it is nice to see a couple wit money ..."

Yeah, I like how Hexe is the next King, but lives like a normal person.

message 11: by Dawn (last edited Nov 24, 2013 12:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn (dawnv) | 367 comments Ok I finished so over all I liked the story but it felt like the end of the series - was it a trilogy??

I think in the end it was like the happy ending for all and I cannot find any fault with that. It was awesome to see Hex's parents together and it seemed like they are finishing some unfinished business. I also liked how the great grandparents are taking in interest in their great grandchild. I am glad Hex worked all that out.

Parts of the battle scene had me lost at times I kept loosing track of who was doing what. But I was very pleased to see the familiar go ...it would have been perfect if Scratch had done it though!

Again though I think the series is over and that is a bit sad.

message 12: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn (dawnv) | 367 comments Darcy wrote: "So I started this one tonight, didn't get much read, but remembered why I like this series, it is the world they are set in. I really like Golgotham, the quirkiness of how magic is and the people ..."

Agreed Golgotham is a very interesting place.
I love that they have normal everyday problems like how are we going to make rent!
It is so sweet how he makes her breakfast and she packs a lunch.
So cute!!

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 822 comments Dawn wrote: "Ok I finished so over all I liked the story but it felt like the end of the series - was it a trilogy??"

It felt like that for me too. I wonder if the publisher wouldn't pick things up and she was able to wrap things up with this book. I haven't been able to find news about it.

message 14: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn (dawnv) | 367 comments Darcy wrote: "********* Spoilers Chapters 6 - 10

I really liked the idea of the Jubilee Celebration. I found how Tate's friends got a little more that they bargained for after dark and lit out of there.

I don..."

I was not sure what to make of Boss Marz initially I was not sure if he wanted to start trouble or not. Now I see though he has much bigger plans. I think I hate his familiar more than him. At this point I was troubled by how much they feared Hex and it kind of did not make sense it all seemed so extreme.

As for the baby I totally did not see that coming. I liked both of their reactions and I cannot wait to see what happens when they tell the grandparents. That kid will have a unique life no matter what.

message 15: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn (dawnv) | 367 comments Darcy wrote: "********* Spoilers Chapters 11 - 15

I can understand why Hexe was mad with Tate for running into the fire. I knew her actions were done with good in mind and that she wasn't thinking about the ba..."

I think the glove thing really threw me off - it seemed out of character for him to want to take a short cut without thinking of the possibilities. Especially since Boss Marz is back on the scene. It all felt to convenient you know. Plus when he got mad about keeping the money that felt like the old Hex so it was weird.

As for the burning building first I had no idea they were all family - so that was new.

message 16: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn (dawnv) | 367 comments Darcy wrote: "******* Spoilers Chapter 16 - 20

I like that Tate's boss has faith in her and wants to expand their relationship. She seems to really like her job and he is willing to work with her being pregnan..."

So when Tate left I thought for sure she would go to Lady Sylvia or his dad quite the shocker that she went home.

I must say I do not blame her one bit for leaving and I liked that while she was leaving she did not give up you know. Sometimes it feels like our lady heroines must make these very permanent solutions so quickly.

Anyway yes it was odd he was having like these black out periods I kepts wondering how he was dealing with missing chunks of time.

As for the master you know that was super cool that he is willing to do so much for her. At first I was not sure what to make of the relationship with all the gruffness. The nursing on the job went to far though lol

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 822 comments Dawn wrote: "So when Tate left I thought for sure she would go to Lady Sylvia or his dad quite the shocker that she went home."

I thought that too.

message 18: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn (dawnv) | 367 comments Darcy wrote: "********** Spoilers Chapters 21 - 25

I'm not sure where to start with Tate's mom. Her initial reaction went about how I expected and my feelings about her didn't change. However when Tate's mom ..."

Cutting off his hand was sooo crazy especially when he was going to have it removed later that day but I guess it is somewhat symbolic.

Clarence was amazing I wanted more time with he and Tate. It was so awesome that he knew he was leaving
but it was only a matter of time.

As for Tate's mom her story was interesting but it was hard for me to be sympathetic and once she saw Lady Sylvia and yet again acted like and ass I was like yep this is why I did not feel bad for you. Now having said that I loved Tate's dad's reaction to the story and how he hung it over her head --- without her knowledge of course.

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 822 comments Dawn wrote: "
Cutting off his hand was sooo crazy especially when he was going to have it removed later that day but I guess it is somewhat symbolic."

Yeah, just a few more hours and it would have been ok.