The Wide Web of Friends in YA Books discussion

Debates > The Mortal Intruments vs. The Infernal Devices

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by readeraz (new)

readeraz (zoethereader) | 474 comments LET THE DEBATE BEGIN!

message 2: by Abigail (new)

Abigail | 413 comments The mortal instruments all the way!

message 3: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahroboto) | 92 comments I prefer TID, I think Cassie's writing improved significantly and the characters are just better and more well rounded. I still love TMI and all the characters but with some of them it took me 3 or 4 books to really feel connected with them, but with TID I felt emotionally invested in all the characters almost instantly.

message 4: by readeraz (new)

readeraz (zoethereader) | 474 comments Hannah wrote: "I prefer TID, I think Cassie's writing improved significantly and the characters are just better and more well rounded. I still love TMI and all the characters but with some of them it took me 3 or..."

Very well said Hannah! I would have to say in terms of plot/action I would pick TMI. But in terms of writing/character connection I would have to say TID! Both series are INCREDIBLE, but in the end TMI is my favorite!

message 5: by julia (new)

julia (julianevergrowup) I haven't read The Infernal Devices yet (I will soon!) but I think I'll like it more than The Mortal Instruments because the characters in TMI were really annoying.

message 6: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 14 comments i'm equel on these books...but then again i haven't read the entire series of either books

message 7: by Rachel , The Attentive One (new)

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) (gr8rach) | 8842 comments Mod
Ok so this is my analysis of TMI and TID. They are my two favorite series btws...

TMI is better because:
-more action
-more humor
-more worldly problems
-more modern
-I read this series before TID
-TMI is the first YA series that I read that jumpstarted my love of reading!

TID is better because:
-more drama
-more romance
-better characters
-prettier setting
-beautiful writing

message 8: by Rachel , The Attentive One (new)

I'd say TMI wins by a hair pin

message 9: by readeraz (new)

readeraz (zoethereader) | 474 comments Rachel wrote: "I'd say TMI wins by a hair pin"

we are just such twinners!

message 10: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 14 comments well win you put it that way......to me it's like
TMI= 100.0000000000001%
TID= 100%

so if you round that they are both equel.:)

let's just say they are equel

message 11: by julia (new)

julia (julianevergrowup) City of Heavenly Fire isn't out yet and it could either be really amazing or really disappointing...

message 12: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 14 comments Julia wrote: "City of Heavenly Fire isn't out yet and it could either be really amazing or really disappointing..."

yeah....well i like to own my own coppies of the books i read so i have to wait for city of lost souls to come in paper back. so i have no clue what to expect int he last book except some kind of death by blade for demons

message 13: by julia (new)

julia (julianevergrowup) Apparently 6 characters we know by name will die in CoHF.

message 14: by Rachel , The Attentive One (new)

Julia wrote: "City of Heavenly Fire isn't out yet and it could either be really amazing or really disappointing..."

I think that City of Heavenly Fire is going to be amazing because so far, Clare has concluded series phenomenally. City of Glass - fantastic. Clockwork Princess - masterpiece. I have full confidence in Cassie Clare <3

message 15: by Abigail (new)

Abigail | 413 comments I haven't even finished TID because I just can't bring myself to read clockwork princess. It's an amazing series but I never connected with it the way I did with TMI. I'm going to read it soon, but there's just so many books I want to read so I've sorta been putting it off. It has great writing and characters but I think the plot, drama, and overall feel to TMI is better

message 16: by readeraz (new)

readeraz (zoethereader) | 474 comments I know!! I heard that going around! I'm really worried now :(

message 17: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 14 comments Abigail wrote: "I haven't even finished TID because I just can't bring myself to read clockwork princess. It's an amazing series but I never connected with it the way I did with TMI. I'm going to read it soon, but..."

thats how i am with haryr potter but i like the harry potter series a lot

message 18: by Rachel , The Attentive One (new)

Abigail wrote: "I haven't even finished TID because I just can't bring myself to read clockwork princess. It's an amazing series but I never connected with it the way I did with TMI. I'm going to read it soon, but..."

You have to read Clockwork Princess!! It's amazing, truly one of her best books.

message 19: by readeraz (new)

readeraz (zoethereader) | 474 comments Yes Abby it's so awesome!!! It's my favorite out of the trilogy!

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (godisgoodallthetime-) | 1590 comments Infernal Devices. It depends on what you want. I found that the Mortal Instruments had a lot more action(not that I'm saying Infernal Devices didn't), and less character development. Infernal Devices was more emotional. Oh Jem! Oh Will!

message 21: by readeraz (new)

readeraz (zoethereader) | 474 comments OH WILL *sighs* such perfection

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved TMI, but I just started reading Clockwork Angel today and ohmygod...I think I might love TID a tad bit more than TMI:D JEM!!!!!!

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (godisgoodallthetime-) | 1590 comments ♥PikachuLover♥ϟPika Pika..CHU!ϟ wrote: "I loved TMI, but I just started reading Clockwork Angel today and ohmygod...I think I might love TID a tad bit more than TMI:D JEM!!!!!!"

I love Jem too:) your profile pic is cute!

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

He's so sweet!!!!*sigh*Lol and Thanks!!!!!!!!!:D

message 25: by readeraz (new)

readeraz (zoethereader) | 474 comments I know Will herondale seems like a huge jerk. But all is revealed in the second book, and he is so amazing.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

He reminds me of Jace!:D
I love Will too but I kind of love Jem a bit more though;P :P

message 27: by Abigail (new)

Abigail | 413 comments @Rachel, ya I finished it like a month ago! It was amazing and truly changed my view on the series

message 28: by Saige (new)

Saige (saigelaurel) I haven't read all the books in the mortal series yet but so far I think I prefer The Infernal Devices.

message 29: by julia (new)

julia (julianevergrowup) ok now that I've actually read TID I can say that I liked it a LOT more than I liked TMI

message 30: by Misfit (new)

Misfit I actually like The Infernal Devices so much more than The Mortal Instruments...I'm just a sucker for historical fiction and the questionable character of Clary just puts me off.

message 31: by Tayla (new)

Tayla Robichaud (trobes7x) I love jem so much i have to say TID <3

but im so scared about cohf

message 32: by Gemma (new)

Gemma | 94 comments I can't chose between them. I love both Jem and Jace. ;)

message 33: by Lauryn (new)

Lauryn | 262 comments I love both series to the moon and back, but I have to say that I preferred The Infernal Devices. For some reason unknown to me, I really love those old English times. The language, the literature, the tragedy (how is that even appealing? I must be losing my mind...)... Yeah. I really connect to tragedy for some reason. In stories anyway. And the characters, especially with Tessa and Will being bookworms, were so easy to relate to and love. The whole storyline just sucked me in and spit me out afterwards, pondering on how someone could ever create a story so loveable, but heartbreaking. The way the characters connected and interacted was truly amazing. And I'm talking about Tessa, Jem and Will here, not that I didn't like anyone else or anything. The Mortal Instruments comes in just after TID because at times I found the characters annoying and impulsive (but seriously, when can you not see that in stories? It happens in everything!!!) and I couldn't relate to the story and characters as much.

message 34: by Gemma (new)

Gemma | 94 comments I feel the same way about the books.
But I'm in love with Jace, Jem, and Will.
I can never choose between them.

message 35: by Ally (new)

Ally Bryan (allysbookshoparoundthecorner) | 260 comments I can't choose!!!! TMI will always be the one I loved first, but Infernal Devices was amazing and had one of the best endings to a series I have ever read!

message 36: by Rachel , The Attentive One (new)

Yeah TMI is the one I loved first!! So it wins by a pinch...

message 37: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (godisgoodallthetime-) | 1590 comments Infernal Devices! So many feelings! I didn't get annoyed with Tessa, like I did with clary

message 38: by Carrington (new)

Carrington (carrb) | 46 comments Infernal Devices all the way. (Although I've only read part of the first tmi)

message 39: by Abigail (new)

Abigail | 413 comments I read TMI first and absolutely fell in love with the series. Then I read TID and the first two weren't as good as I hoped and I was kinda disappointed. I put off reading clockwork princess for a while, but when I did, I loved it and it changed my view on the series. But considering I wasn't very impressed with the two of the three books of TID, I'm going to have to say I like TMI better

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

The Infernal Devices<3

message 41: by Cheyenne, The Musical One (new)

Cheyenne | 1425 comments Mod
I'm loving the Infernal Devices

message 42: by Yu Fan (new)

Yu Fan (yufannx) | 240 comments Eh, if I have to give the series where I've been crying the most, it'd be TID.. And please who doesn't like Will , Jem, Tessa and Charlotte and okay I'm gonna stop. But urg, TMI was where my book obsession began and Clary, Jace, Simon, Isabelle bvdvbdsjv I can't, I can't choose.

message 43: by Cheyenne, The Musical One (new)

Cheyenne | 1425 comments Mod
I know I said this but I love the TID better. I don't know why but I just do. I love them so much. I mean Will he is the guy I fall in love with. I hate Jem don't know why I do.

message 44: by Dalia (new)

Dalia | 71 comments I'm not gonna decide until I read City of Heavenly Fire. Though,I think the writing was much better in TID

message 45: by Erica (new)

Erica (ericaevernight) | 912 comments There is no competition with me, it's TMI all day everyday. If you've been with the group for a while, you KNOW that I despise anything and everything to do with that horrific love triangle drama filled book.
WARNING
POTENTIAL SPOILER DO NOT READ!!!
You have been warned.

It gives me the shudders everytime I think about those three, that's just awful, three people all miserable because miss thang had to give a petty card to someone who's dying. Uh uh. Nope.

message 46: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (Courtneyanne18) I can't even choose. They are both sooooo amazing. Although, I cried way more over TID.

message 47: by Fifth Horseman (new)

Fifth Horseman (fifthhorseman) The Infernal Devices. I love TMI too , but TID has a better romance and crisper writing, although TMI has a better plot. When I think about which series I'd live in or who'd I 'd want to be friends with, TID wins all the way :)

message 48: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (godisgoodallthetime-) | 1590 comments After reading both. INfernal devices.

message 49: by Duchy (new)

Duchy | 79 comments In my mind, Jace is hotter than Will, therefore TMI trumps TID.

message 50: by Duchy (new)

Duchy | 79 comments Although, I almost, almost, almost, just barely like TID better than TMI. IT'S SUCH A HARD DECISION I CAN'T DECIDE!!!!!!! grrrrrr

« previous 1