Hoyt's Huns discussion

Reading Discussions > Book of the Month Themes

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary (last edited May 19, 2014 11:21AM) (new)

Mary Catelli | 2150 comments Mod
What sort of themes do we want for a monthly reading?

This first post will be a running list.

Sarah A. Hoyt's works
Rudyard Kipling's works
Robert A Heinlein's works
Space Opera
Military SF
Nonfiction on Communism
Fiction on Communism
Survival/bootstrapping - I'm thinking narrative here, whether fiction or non-fiction. Dies the Fire or Island of the Blue Dolphins, not the Foxfire books.
Nation-building - e.g. Safehold, The Way of Kings
Cyberpunk - most of it is grey goo or worse, but some of it is Human Wave
Biography
Classic Adventure
Poetry That Doesn't Suck
sweet romance
cozy mysteries
teen fiction

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason Dyck | 2 comments Survival/bootstrapping - I'm thinking narrative here, whether fiction or non-fiction. Dies the Fire or Island of the Blue Dolphins, not the Foxfire books.
Great Works
Nation-building - e.g. Safehold, The Way of Kings
Cyberpunk - most of it is grey goo or worse, but some of it is Human Wave
Biography
Classic Adventure
Poetry That Doesn't Suck

message 3: by Mary (new)

I'm not sure about "Great Works". I suspect that no one's going to nominate anything they think is mediocre.

message 4: by Jason (new)

Jason Dyck | 2 comments Great Works was not meant to refer broadly to things that are not mediocre, but specifically to the foundational or influential writings of modern Western Civilization, such as Aristotle's Ethics, Locke's Treatises of Government, Cervantes's Don Quixote, or Dickens's A Tale of Two Cities. I did not mean the phrase merely as a point of praise; I'm sorry I was unclear.

message 5: by Mary (new)

Hmm. In which case we might want to pick a list from some outside authority. Whether it is in some abstract sense correct is less important than its certainly being definitive.

message 6: by Cyn (new)

Cyn Bagley (cynbagley) | 21 comments Are we going to put in categories like sweet romance, cozy mysteries (or mysteries), teen fiction?

message 7: by Mary (new)

We can add whatever we want. Of course, at the moment I suspect this list is not getting much use. . . .

message 8: by Cyn (new)

Cyn Bagley (cynbagley) | 21 comments Oh well-- I am trying to be more active on Goodreads when I am NOT writing ;-)

message 9: by Mary (new)

Glad to have you. Perhaps I should start pointing to this list when trolling for themes. Or announce that I will pick one off it at some point.

You could help plump up our bookshelf if so minded.

message 10: by Cyn (new)

Cyn Bagley (cynbagley) | 21 comments Yea-- I do read, but don't always put it on Goodreads. ;-) avid, ferocious, voracious...reader.

message 11: by Mary (new)

We could also start discussions about books, reading or writing them, here. See if we can attract a crowd.

message 12: by Cyn (new)

Cyn Bagley (cynbagley) | 21 comments Mary wrote: "We could also start discussions about books, reading or writing them, here. See if we can attract a crowd."
That sounds interesting-- Do you have a main topic for this?

message 13: by Mary (new)

Well, you can create topics under Reading Discussion or Writing Discussion.

message 14: by Cyn (new)

Cyn Bagley (cynbagley) | 21 comments Sounds good-- will go there now