Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Making Masterpiece: 25 Years Behind the Scenes at Masterpiece Theatre and Mystery! on PBS
This topic is about Making Masterpiece
Book Issues > different edition for Giveaway ARC

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Julia (julia103) | 301 comments I entered and won this Giveaway https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sh... including the box to add to my to-read shelf.
The edition that was added to my shelf is Hardcover, 320 pages.
What I actually received is trade paperback, 285 pages. The cover is the same except for a yellow circle with "Advance Uncorrected Proofs-Not for Sale". There is no separate copyright page inside, and the back cover has the hardcover ISBN, publication date and price.

Should a separate edition be set up for the ARC? Or should it stay on the edition where the publisher listed it for the Giveaway?

There are already 20 reviews on the hardcover edition page, many of which say they are from the ARC.

message 2: by Z-squared (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments I believe the current unofficial policy is to create an ACE for the ARC. See this thread:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

I would probably leave the current hardcover entry alone, even though people have shelved it as an ARC. Make the ACE, mark it as the ARC edition, and eventually the people who actually police their GR shelves closely will migrate over correctly.

message 3: by Z-squared (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments Oh whoops! I just assumed you had librarian status. If you'd like, I can make the alternate cover edition for you. Although I need a pic of the cover that includes the "Advanced Uncorrected Proofs" circle on it.

Julia (julia103) | 301 comments Thanks for the quick answer. I've been fine with posting issues and having librarians take care of them, so I never applied for librarian status.

I don't have a scanner, so can't get a copy of the cover. Can you make a separate edition anyhow, labelled as ARC and the correct number of pages with no cover? (Or I can add and then ask to have combined.)
Since my review will include that it was received from GR First Reads, would it be acceptable to add to the review that if anyone can provide the alternate cover to post it here? The publisher gave away 20 on October 13th and another 75 on October 27th, so maybe another winner is more technically capable.
(I probably won't finish and review until tomorrow.)

message 5: by Scott (new)

Scott | 18662 comments Why not just use the hardcover?

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42507 comments Mod
Julia wrote: "Can you make a separate edition anyhow, labelled as ARC and the correct number of pages with no cover? (Or I can add and then ask to have combined.)
Since my review will include that it was received from GR First Reads, would it be acceptable to add to the review that if anyone can provide the alternate cover to post it here?"

Yes and yes.

message 7: by Z-squared (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments Sorry Julia, didn't mean to leave you hanging! Here is the ACE version for the ARC:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/combin...

And Scott, the reason we can't just use the image from the hardcover (which is what I assume you were asking) is because the ARC cover has a medallion on it marking it as an ARC. Thus, a different cover.