Vintage Tales discussion

Classic Book Discussion > So Different Than The Movie

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Where did they get that movie idea from? That wasn't in the book?!?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Hate that. I have such a hard time watching Les Miserables because they leave out so many of my favorite parts and don't recognize many of the relationships between the characters that you get from the book. Not to mention the two moments in the book when Enjolras seemed the most human (with, like, feelings and stuff).

message 3: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Recently read Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote. I was amazed how different the movie was from the book. The movie portrays Holly Golightly as this scatter brained, charming girl (almost woman) trying to live a " modern 60's life". Perfect Audrey Hepburn material. OMG, in the book she is a true sociopath.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Ooh... Now I want to read it, haha. I have In Cold Blood by Truman Capote sitting on my bookshelf. I'm excited to start reading it pretty soon. Probably after I finish The Scarlet Pimpernel, which might also be very different from the movie, haha.

message 5: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Lissa wrote: "Ooh... Now I want to read it, haha. I have In Cold Blood by Truman Capote sitting on my bookshelf. I'm excited to start reading it pretty soon. Probably after I finish..."

I have In Cold Blood sitting around here somewhere. It is moving up on my TBR list. Truman Capote sure knew the criminal mind!

message 6: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollycoulson) Breakfast at Tiffany's has been on my TBR list for ages... I must read it...

The film that, to me, caused me the most disappointment was Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. They just missed out so much amazing stuff (like Tonks and Lupin. They're like my two favourite characters...), and for some odd reason burned the burrow? For it only to appear perfectly normal again in 7 part 1... And don't get me started on how they missed out the whole Fenrir getting Bill bit... Just urgh.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I was sad when they didn't have Peeves in the first movie. I loved Peeves. Peeves was awesome. Why wouldn't they do Peeves?

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War has to be the WORST example of this phenomenon I've seen lately. I wanted to scream at the screen.

message 9: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Elizabeth wrote: "World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War

I haven't read this book yet, but my son refused to go with me to see the movie. He hated what Brad Pitt (guess he was the producer) did to the story.

message 10: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) The most recent butchering of The Great Gatsby is the first one that comes to my mind. Also were they trying to make Daisy likeable?!

message 11: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) I've read the book Something Wicked This Way Comesand have seen the film adaptation and wonder if there is anything different about the two. I enjoyed both of them though. :)btw, the director for the film version was supposed to be Gene Kelly but due to money issues, dropped out at the last minute but he volunteered to direct the film adaptation of Ray Bradbury's story though. I read that in the forward or afterward of the book and though it was wild.

message 12: by Werner (new)

Werner | 613 comments Mod
I've never seen the movie adaptation of Something Wicked This Way Comes (though I finally read the book last year), so I can't compare them first hand. But I do know that even though Bradbury himself wrote the screenplay, he was very unhappy with the movie as a finished product, and declared that the filmmakers had destroyed the vision embodied in the novel.

The 1940 adaptation of The House of the Seven Gables, starring Vincent Price as Clifford (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032610/ ), is radically different from Hawthorne's novel. The filmmakers eliminated the 17th-century opening scenes, dramatized scenes that aren't in the book, turn Hephzibah into Clifford's love interest (instead of his sister!) and his distant cousin Jaffrey into his brother, and pad and jazz up the plot nearly beyond recognition in a number of places.