Modern Good Reads discussion

MGR Events (BOTM, etc.) > Nominations for December BOTM

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirstin, Moderator (new)

Kirstin Pulioff | 252 comments Mod
Please put your nominations for December's BOTM here. I can't wait to see what holiday book you want to read/discuss.

Nominations will only be open a few days, and then the voting will begin.

message 2: by Java (new)

Java Davis (javadavis) The Christmas Grandma Ran Away from Home, by Nancy Warren

message 3: by S.R. (new)

S.R. Grey (sr_grey) | 1 comments Dash & Lily's Book of Dares. It's sweet and uplifting, perfect for this time of year!

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn

message 4: by Melodie (last edited Nov 17, 2013 08:41AM) (new)

Melodie Ramone (melodieramone) The Jupiter Chronicles, by Leonardo Ramirez. Doesn't sound like a Holiday book much, but it's core is family togetherness, and it's written by an author who puts his soul into his work.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 5: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Drinkard | 3 comments I'll nominate "Socks for Christmas" by Andy Andrews. A fine, uplifting Christmas story.

message 6: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Slagel | 9 comments I nominate "Are You Sitting Down?" by Shannon Yarbrough. It is the story of one family's Christmas after the father has passed away. The kids are grown with children of their own. It is contemporary and very real. Not all families are Norman Rockwell - Shannon is superb in telling us about the others...

message 7: by Linda (new)

Linda (httpgoodreadscomlinnievic) Reflections of Mamie A Story of Survival by Rosemary "Mamie" Adkins.

message 8: by Terrie (new)

Terrie Fulk (terrielynn61) | 2 comments I recommend Mary's Christmas Knight by Moriah Densley by Moriah Densley.

message 9: by Roxanne (new)

Roxanne Snopek (roxannesnopek) I nominate Merry Ex-Mas by Sheila Roberts. Sheila's Christmas books are delightful and I haven't read this one yet, so I'd love to read it with a few other people!

message 10: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) I will nominate A Blue Gray Christmas Collection by Vickie McDonough even though I haven't read it.

message 11: by Robert (new)

Robert (robertj) | 24 comments I nominate A Christmas Carol it is a classic indeed.

message 12: by Martha (new)

Martha Love I nominate "Reflections of Mamie A Story of Survival" by Rosemary "Mamie" Adkins.

message 13: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Ainsworthe (cynthiabainsworthe) | 4 comments I nominate "Reflections of Mamie A Story of Survival" by Rosemary "Mamie" Adkins.

message 14: by Jon (new)

Jon Magee (jonmagee) | 2 comments I nominate Reflections of Mamie A Story of Survival by Rosemary "Mamie" Adkins.

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 30 comments Claus Legend of the Fat Man by Tony Bertauski
It's one that I won several months ago and still haven't read

message 16: by T.R. (new)

T.R. Heinan (trheinan) | 2 comments I nominate Reflections of Mamie, A Story of Survival by Rosemary "Mamie" Adkins.

message 17: by A. (new)

A. Mani (thesunstealer) Kay Kay and the Euro Green Monster (Kay Kay, #2) by Talia Not only it deals with important issues such as helping friends in need and not judging a book by its cover but also a children's book is always a good reason to gather all family members for a unique moment.

message 20: by Kenneth (last edited Nov 18, 2013 10:09AM) (new)

Kenneth Weene (kenweene) | 1 comments Reflections of Mamie A Story of Survival by Rosemary "Mamie" Adkins. A powerful memoir

message 21: by Boyko (new)

Boyko Ovcharov | 8 comments How about "A Christmas Carol" by Dickens:)

message 22: by Sharla (new)

Sharla Lee Shults (sharlashults) | 2 comments For a terrific read, I nominate Reflections of Mamie: A Story of Survival by Rosemary "Mamie" Adkins. This book tears at your heartstrings as you follow the life and times of a victim of child abuse and how she survived!

message 23: by Greg (new)

Greg Borman | 15 comments The Tale of Three Trees.

message 25: by Bob (new)

Bob Rector | 11 comments Can't think of a more life-affirming and spiritual book to put under the Christmas tree than Marsha Roberts' bestselling book. It is a gift that you will be thanked for, whoever you give it to, because you will be giving them a blessing.

message 26: by Salvatore (new)

Salvatore Buttaci (salvatorebuttaci) | 3 comments I nominate Reflections of Mamie A Story of Survival by Rosemary "Mamie" Adkins.

message 27: by Michael (new)

message 28: by Mary Teresa (new)

Mary Teresa Reno (saks1962) | 2 comments I nominate a Christmas Carol - a classic!

message 29: by Mary Teresa (new)

Mary Teresa Reno (saks1962) | 2 comments Also, "Secret Santa" written by Robert Tate Miller. He wrote the screenplay for the made for TV movie "Three Days" starring Kristin Miller. Released in 2001, It's a beautiful movie and I tried to find the book that the movie was based on, but there doesn't seem to be one. I did find "Secret Santa" and the synopsis sounds almost as heart warming as Three Days.

message 30: by Kirstin, Moderator (new)

You guys are awesome! Keep them coming... no need to double nominate, we will have a poll at the end of the week that everyone can vote for their favorite. These are some wonderful choices

message 31: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Foley (sherryfoley) | 1 comments I would like to nominate "Reinventing Christmas" by Linda Rettstatt It's A sweet contemporary romance that shows you can go home again--just don't expect this Christmas to be like any other.

message 32: by June (new)

June Finnigan (goodreadscomjunefinnigan) | 3 comments Christmas at Carringtons by Alexander Brown

message 33: by Vardan (new)

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 122 comments I self-nominate my novel I, the Provocateur I, the Provocateur by Vardan Partamyan - dystopian thrill ride or, as one reviewer put it - Total Recall meets James Bond :) Thanks in advance to all who will second this nomination!

I should also note that all the proceeds from the novel are being directed at charity (which does not mean you shouldn't leave scathing reviews should you hate it!)

message 34: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Slagel | 9 comments Ummm, isn't this supposed to be a holiday read?

message 35: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 1 comments I like Melodie's suggestion though I haven't read it:
"The Jupiter Chronicles, by Leonardo Ramirez. Doesn't sound like a Holiday book much, but it's core is family togetherness, and it's written by an author who puts his soul into his work."
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 36: by Greg (new)

Greg Borman | 15 comments Sounds good Vardan. I, the Provocateur works for me.

message 37: by Zack (new)

Zack Ill third, A Christmas Carrol by Dickens, and also add Hogfather by Terry Pratchett.

message 38: by Vardan (new)

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 122 comments Greg wrote: "Sounds good Vardan. I, the Provocateur works for me."

Thanks for seconding, Greg! I think a nice little revolution in a dystopian society on a distant planet qualifies as a festivity :)

message 39: by Greg (new)

Greg Borman | 15 comments Vardan wrote: "Greg wrote: "Sounds good Vardan. I, the Provocateur works for me."

Thanks for seconding, Greg! I think a nice little revolution in a dystopian society on a distant planet qualifies as a festivity :)"

That's hilarious, and I love it!

message 40: by Vardan (new)

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 122 comments Greg wrote: "Vardan wrote: "Greg wrote: "Sounds good Vardan. I, the Provocateur works for me."

Thanks for seconding, Greg! I think a nice little revolution in a dystopian society on a distant planet qualifies..."

Well, I do hope you will enjoy reading it half as much as I enjoyed writing it... viva la revolucion! :))) (and merry Christmas?)

message 41: by Kirstin, Moderator (new)

Thank you for your suggestions, I will have a poll out shortly.

message 42: by Kirstin, Moderator (new)

Remember, self nominated books are not allowed. Thank you for understanding.

message 43: by Bob (new)

Bob Rector | 11 comments I nominate Marsha Roberts' 'Confessions of an Instinctively Mutinous Baby Boomer and her Parable of the Tomato Plant' for best holiday book. Not only is it inspiring and uplifting, you'll feel like an old friend is across the table from you sharing her thoughts. This book really does make you feel good.

message 44: by Wanda (new)

Wanda Paryla (wandasparyla) | 8 comments Call Me, Mrs. Miracle - by Debbie Macomber