The YA Dystopian Book Club discussion

Book to Movie Adaptations > The Giver [unreleased]

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lilac , Moderator (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 434 comments Mod
I didn't realize that this was going to be a movie. Turns out it comes out in August. I think it will be really good to see how the world transforms from black and white to colour slowly. If it's done well it could be a really good film.

Oh, but the person who's going to play Jonas, the 12 year old boy, is in his mid 20s! Don't know how that will work. Unless they change the assignment age to 18 or something.

message 2: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 1040 comments Ooh love this book!

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather | 26 comments All I know is the fact that T Swift is in it may ruin it for me. My favorite book turned into a movie with her in it? Not excited. . .

message 4: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 1040 comments She's in it? Lol that seems really random...could be a disaster! But who knows? Maybe she'll pull it off. Let's hope!

message 5: by Lilac , Moderator (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 434 comments Mod
Yep, fingers crossed.

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather | 26 comments Let's hope!

message 7: by David (new)

David Litwack | 4 comments Just heard about the movie. The Giver is one of my favorite dystopians, much better than The Hunger Games IMO. With so little action and opportunity for special effects, I'm worried Hollywood will butcher it.

message 8: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 1040 comments I'm pretty worried what they'll do with it too, but I'm hoping for the best! Have you read the sequels, David? I've only read the first book and I heard mixed reviews on the sequels so I haven't decided whether to try them or stop with the first one, which I loved :) Thanks!!

message 9: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments I have no hope solely because of Taylor Swift

message 10: by Tommy (last edited Aug 11, 2014 11:36AM) (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 196 comments To this point I've liked a grand total of 2 things Taylor Swift has done. One was an SNL skit, the other was the song with The Civil Wars on the Hunger Games soundtrack.

As far as her role in the type of movie, the verdict is out for me. I'm just not well enough informed. I'll see it at least once, though. Because The Giver.

message 11: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 1040 comments Oh I LOVE that song Taylor did with The Civil Wars, so poignant and powerful. I'm a big fan of her music, but I'm not so sure about her acting. I saw her in one movie with Taylor Lautner and she was okayyy, I guess. Hmmm, I'll give her the benefit of the doubt though until I see the movie, she may have improved!

message 12: by Karah (new)

Karah (kasey9) | 4 comments I love The Giver, and all the sequels! After I saw the comercial (which more then worries me) I started following the Facebook page. From what I've seen, all book fans will be heartbroken. I think the only possible way to enjoy the movie is treating it like Ella Enchanted: totally separated and not even comparable.

message 13: by Alison (new)

Alison Morquecho (thebookishcamper) | 525 comments so I just saw the trailer today on the teen. voice awards and am kinda confused. I read the book like 6 months ago so i may be wrong. but there wasn't Mich love stuff in the book right? it seemed all about love in the movie. and from the movie it looks like he found the giver, not that he was chosen as the next giver... so confusing

message 14: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin | 26 comments Just finished reading the book (for the first time), as I knew the movie was coming out. But I had already seen a trailer for the movie, so I was kind of confused in the book. I came to the conclusion that they changed A LOT in the movie! So I continued to read with acceptance of that and greatly enjoyed the book. I am going into the movie open-minded, aware that it won't be the same as the book, and hope to be entertained.

For those who won't watch because of Taylor Swift, she plays the role of Rosemary, who I'm assuming doesn't have a huge role, so don't not see the movie because of that. There are some other great actors cast in it, so go with an open mind and you may be pleasantly surprised.:)

message 15: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 1040 comments Well said, completely agree!

message 16: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 196 comments That's always my philosophy when seeing an adaptation(or really, consuming any product). My expectations are very easy to meet. Entertain me, keep the heart of the story intact, and let me feast on your interpretation of the story and see how your visuals played out compared to the ones in my head.

Even if these standards aren't met, I'll find something to enjoy 49/50 times. A few friends were talking about how bad the Transformers movies are, and while I agreed with most of their critiques, when it was time for me to add my two cents, I shrugged and said "I just watched a truck turn into a robot and then punch another robot, and didn't even question that it was fake. That makes up for a lot."

message 17: by Christine (new)

Christine (philomathinphila) | 1 comments I saw the movie and, yes, they do change a bit from the book. They do change the assignment age to 16. The movie, although the commercials would have you think, doesn't focus on love. Its focus is on the Giver/Receiver. Taylor Swift is a minor character. I won't comment more than that about the movie. I don't want to spoil it for anyone. Today is the embargo date so you'll be able to read about everyone's opinions about the movie today.

I had read "The Giver" years ago and waited until after seeing the movie to reread it. I also just read the rest of the Giver Quartet. I found that I enjoyed "The Giver" much more after reading the rest of the books.

As for books I know are being made into movies, if I can, I wait until after seeing the movie before reading the book. I was reading "Beautiful Creatures #3" (I can't think of the title) while I was standing in line for the "Beautiful Creatures" movie. I felt it was such a poor adaptation that I never finished reading #3. I know they are separate entities but I expect main parts/points of the books to be in the movie. I expect changes but not major plot developments.

message 18: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 1040 comments Thanks for the info Christine, sounds good!