The Malazan Fallen discussion

Toll the Hounds (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #8)
This topic is about Toll the Hounds
Group Read - Toll the Hounds > TtH - Chapter Two - No Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lee, High Priest of Shadow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) | 1508 comments Mod
Chapter two discussion thread

Lori Ah finding out more about the Eleint, they "broke loose from their long-standing servitude to K'rul" and tried to gain power. That sounds like an epic story!

message 3: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 5 stars

David Sven (gorro) | 2042 comments Mod
This chapter we return to Black Coral – the new home of Rake and the Tiste Andii. It is also now a manifestation of Kurald Galain which keeps the city in a state of perpetual night. Humans still live there but they can only tolerate the continuous dark because they can always go outside the city for some sunlight. There also seems to be some new sea monsters in the local water that are native to Kurald Galain.

I like the picture of Silanah – perched motionless for a year on the new Tiste Palace leading many of the humans to believe she is just a carving. But she watches and sees everything – and it appears she is losing patience with human pettiness and plots.

We meet Endest Silann – the Tiste mage who worked the magic that kept Moonspawn underwater in MOI – but the sorcery he used has cost him. He can’t do magic anymore and he has bouts where the pressure of the sea still accosts him even though he not in the sea. Rake has made him the castellan.

We also meet two unlikely friends – Spinnock, a Tiste Andii hero – and a man who used to be a Seerdomin of the Pannion Domin who now just goes by the name “Seerdomin.”
They like to hang out and play some Tiste Andii version of D & D. I notice Kruppe was playing this same game with Scorch and Leff in Ch1.
Interestingly, Spinnock downplays his relationship with Rake, claiming not to have spoken to him in centuries. He also downplays his martial prowess.

I have never been that important; little more than one warrior among thousands. I do not think we have spoken in centuries.’

But his next stop is to visit Rake – and it is clear that Rake is very current with Spinnock’s state of affairs. Spinnock is also recently returned from a mission to the continent of Assail to assess the nature and threat of a conflict raging over there. I remember from MT that Iron Bars and the Crimson Guard were returning from Assail.

We also check in on Clip and Nimander and the remnant of Drift Avali – enroute to Anomander Rake. It looks like they travelled through a path of Kurald Galain and exited somewhat short of their target. It is clear that the group are being divided into those loyal to Nimander and those loyal to Clip.

We learn that dragons had rebelled against K’rull for power and that Rake had fought them. Maybe that explains why there are so many dragons lying dead or chained all over the shop

There had been a time, after all, when Anomander Rake had warred against the pure-blood dragons. When such creatures broke loose from their long-standing servitude to K’rul; when they had sought to grasp power for themselves. The motivation for Rake’s opposition to them was, typically, obscure.

But the why and how of Silanah’s and Rake’s relationship is still a mystery

I like the conversation between Rake and Spinnock. Spinnock is a warrior. A skilled warrior and he’s itching to be used in the art he is skilled in. But Rake is reluctant to use his tools. Even Dragnipur comes out rarely. But neither does he discard them when they are done.

‘A weapon must be used, Lord, lest it rust.’
‘A weapon overused, Spinnock, grows blunt, notched.’
To that, the burly Tiste Andii bowed. ‘Perhaps, then, Lord, such a weapon must be put away. A new one found.’
‘That time is yet to arrive, Spinnock Durav.’

Ad there is aplot underfoot among some of the humans to assassinate Rake. They think getting rid of Rake will get rid of the dark encompassing Black Coral

‘I ain’t alone in being in the right about this,’ the first man retorted. ‘Ain’t alone at all. It’s plain that if the Lord Son was dead and gone, all this damned darkness would go away, an’ we’d be back to normal wi’ day ‘n’ night again.’

Seerdomin overhears this conversations and sets out to tail the group of men to their meeting place. Perhaps his friendship with Spinnock translates to loyalty to Rake.

And Itkovian “The Redeemer” has become an object of worship with pilgrims lining up to visit his barrow.

Sumant There had been a time, after all, when Anomander Rake had warred against the pure-blood dragons

From what we already know about the warrens I think this makes sense because Krul gave his arteries for warrens and blood which is pumping through it is said to be dragon blood, so may be the not all dragons were yes on their part to give their blood and so who did not agree with this system rebelled against Krul.

Also there is a mention of serrit in this chapter, he was said to be one of the council man to rake was he soul taken ? Because i think mappo and icarium found a sky fortress in which they saw a pinned dragon to the cross wasn't his name also the same?

message 5: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sumant wrote: "Also there is a mention of serrit in this chapter, he was said to be one of the council man to rake was he soul taken ? Because i think mappo and icarium found a sky fortress in which they saw a pinned dragon to the cross wasn't his name also the same? "

That's a good pickup - but no, I don't think this is the same. The Sorrit in BH was a trueborn Elient. I think Sorrit here may be a typo, or it may be a variant of "Serrat" - who was the leader of the Tiste mage assassins in Gotm.

Steve (cardzrool) | 44 comments I took this to be a discussion about Rake's sword of chained souls:

A weapon must be used, Lord, lest it rust.’
‘A weapon overused, Spinnock, grows blunt, notched.’
To that, the burly Tiste Andii bowed. ‘Perhaps, then, Lord, such a weapon must be put away. A new one found.’

Agreed though that either way Spinnock is itching for a military campaign

Silvio Curtis | 403 comments I'm with David Sven in thinking the weapon primarily means Spinnock, since Dragnipur would be an awfully sudden change of topic.

Lori Oh yes.

message 9: by Rob, Quick Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 1055 comments Mod
Thank God for David's summaries. I found this chapter slow and I kept dozing off, so I missed a lot of stuff. Lol.

Eddie Costello | 56 comments Can somebody please remind me who clip and nimander are I recognize the names but I can't remember their plot in the previous books or if they're names was just mentioned in a conversation

message 11: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nimander is Rake's grandson. He was previously one of the defenders of the the true throne of Shadow on Drift Avali. He hooked up with Silchas and then Clip from Bluerose in Letherii. They all travelled with Kettle, the little undead girl who lived in the dying Azath in Lether city until they arrived at the Refugium where Silchas kills kettle and plants a new Azath

message 12: by Rob, Quick Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 1055 comments Mod
Clip is an asshole.

message 13: by Chaz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chaz | 297 comments David Sven wrote: "He hooked up with Silchas and then Clip from Bluerose in Letherii. They all travelled with Kettle

Not quite. Nimander and his cousins and siblings had been with Tavore's fleet since Malaz City where they had ended up after leaving Drift Avalii after their defence of the throne of Shadow. Then they get left at Second Maiden Fort by the Bonehunters after the business with Phaed trying to murder Sandalath.

Clip recruits them from there in the epilogue of Reaper's Gale. Nimander and his crew don't at any point meet up with Silchas and Kettle and were not at Refugium although Clip of course was.

And yes, Clip is an arse.

message 14: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thanks Chaz. Looks like I mixed up all my characters - it's been a while since I read this.