What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Forever War (The Forever War, #1)
This topic is about The Forever War
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Sci fi about aliens attacking the human race, there is a military base on the moon and farther planets, the farther away from earth you are, the more they got paid [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dallas (new)

Dallas Riley | 1 comments When I was in high school I had to choose a book to read for an english class, I choose a random science fiction novel but cannot remember the name or author at all. It's about aliens attacking the human race, there is a military base on the moon and farther planets, the farther away from earth you are, the more they got paid. But when traveling, they go light speed, making soldiers live thousands of years. The main character falls in love with a woman and at the end kf the book she arranges for them to retire together using time travel technology. There is 1 billion people left on earth, and they kept it stable by getting everyone to turn gay first, and tthen produce test lab babies if I remember correctly. There is also a part when the main character is fleeing a base and he grabs the crews pet cat that they are not suppose to have with them.

Gerd | 223 comments Part of it could be Haldeman's The Forever War, although that one hasn't time travel technology. It solely hinges on the time dilation effect brought on by traveling close to lightspeed.

message 3: by Serendi (new)

Serendi Definitely sounds like The Forever War to me too, except that the time travel technology is actually planning routes so that they all end up on one planet together at the same time.

Andy Love | 2095 comments There is a ship's cat in Forever War, too.

Mawgojzeta | 89 comments I vote for The Forever War, as well. Instantly came to mind. I wonder (as I have done this several times) if two different books got mixed up over the years, which would explain why it is not a perfect fit.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39296 comments Mod
Dallas, are you still looking for this or was it "The Forever War?"

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

I'm not sure whether to move this to Abandoned, or Solved. Anyone read "Forever War" recently?

Peter Meilinger | 474 comments I'd call it solved. It's possible the OP is mixing more than one book, but everything described fits The Forever War very well.

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Ok. Good enough.