The Page Turners discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Race to Read - Coming Summer 2015

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Olivia (last edited Jun 10, 2014 12:15PM) (new)

Olivia McCloskey (brewingupbooks) | 2470 comments Mod
Winter is upon us and the mods have decided that it's time for a bit of friendly competition within the group. And now, the moderators proudly present...The Race to Read. All members who are interested in participating are invited to join one of the following four teams: the Harry Potter Team, Infernal Devices Team, Hunger Games Team, and Percy Jackson Team. A thread will be posted inviting everyone to sign up for one of the four teams listed above. More information regarding selecting and signing up for a team will be included in that thread.

Beginning on June 1st, 2014, each of the four teams will compete in a series of stages. These stages will be composed of riddles, puzzles, scavenger hunts, etc. Each stage will require a password to be entered before you can view the activity for that particular stage. Once the riddle or other activity has been completed, the password for the next stage will be revealed. For example, if your team solves a riddle and discovers that the answer to the riddle is the word "time," then entering "time" as the password will allow you to view the next stage. Therefore, all of the stages must be completed in order.

Each Moderator is in charge of one particular team. Below are the teams and corresponding moderators:
Harry Potter Team: Olivia
Infernal Devices Team: tbd
Hunger Games Team: tbd
Percy Jackson Team: Kathy
It isn't possible, however, for the moderators to run a team by ourselves. Therefore, beginning on May 1st, 2015, we will be accepting applications for anyone who wishes to fill the role of "Team Moderator" for any of the teams listed above. Don't worry, there will be more information to come regarding applications for anyone who is interested.

The goal of the tournament is to help your team complete all of the stages before the other three teams. Members must work together with their teammates to complete each activity and advance to the next stage. A winner (one of the four teams) will be announced on August 31st, 2015, the official end date of the tournament. The winner will be determined based upon a point system. Points will be awarded to teams for advancing through the stages. Points will be awarded in the following manner:
1st Team to Reach a Stage: 100 Points
2nd Team to Reach a Stage: 75 Points
3rd Team to Reach a Stage: 50 Points
4th Team to Reach a Stage: 25 Points

The stages, total number of points that each team has earned, and other information pertaining to the tournament will be posted on a new website, which will be released on May 25th. This will help to keep the group free of clutter and group all Race to Read-related information in one place. Once this website is released, it will remain available to all group members until the end of the tournament on August 31st. No membership or sign up is required to view the website or participate in the tournament.

But how, might you ask, is our team expected to communicate and work on stages? Each moderator has created a "secret" group on Goodreads for her team. On May 16th, anyone who has signed up to participate for a team will be invited to join that team's Goodreads group. The members of the group will consist only of your teammates; additionally, your discussion boards will only be visible to your teammates, preventing spies from other teams from stealing your password for a particular stage.

Just to quickly recap everything we've just mentioned:
-Anyone who is interested in becoming a Team Moderator can fill out an application beginning on May 1st, 2015.
-The secret groups for each team will be opened on May 16th, 2015.
-The Race to Read website will be released on May 25th, 2015.
-The tournament will officially begin on June 1st, 2015.

Are there any questions? If not, then, without further ado, let the tournament preparations begin!

message 2: by Sam (new)

Sam  (sam222) That sounds fun

message 3: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 905 comments Hannah wrote: "So do we get to choose our own teams or will they be assigned?"

You get to choose. However, if the teams are drastically unequal then we may ask for volunteers to switch to a different team.

message 4: by Mpiggy (new)

Mpiggy You sign up for the team you choose. It is kind of like first come first serve thing, if you sign up for a team too late, you may be moved to different team, depending on how many members are in each team. We want to try to keep the teams as even as we can.

message 5: by Mpiggy (new)

Mpiggy Kathy wrote: You get to choose. However, if the teams are drastically unequal then we may ask for volunteers to switch to a differ..."

Sorry, Kathy. I hadn't seen your post before mine! :P

message 6: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 905 comments Mpiggy wrote: "Kathy wrote: You get to choose. However, if the teams are drastically unequal then we may ask for volunteers to switch to a differ..."

Sorry, Kathy. I hadn't seen your post before mine! :P"

Haha no worries ;)

message 7: by Kaitlin (new)

Kaitlin Sounds like a lot of fun!

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate ✨ is a dreamer Whoo Hoo! Go Team whatever I choose when the time comes!!

message 9: by Mpiggy (new)

Mpiggy Even though I'm not a competitor, I'm really excited for it too!

message 10: by Sara (new)

Sara (sarassecret) | 3 comments Sounds fun! Can't wait!

message 11: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 905 comments Holly wrote: "Aw, the mods don't get to participate?"

No :( it would be pretty unfair because we wrote all of the clues and this know the answers. We are however the leaders of the groups!

message 12: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 905 comments Maggie wrote: "This sounds like it's going to be so fun! How did you come up with the idea?"

I believe it was Olivia's idea first. She modeled it after the triwizard tournament (if you are familiar with that)

message 13: by Kate (new)

Kate ✨ is a dreamer Ohh!! What was the Triwizard tournament like?!?!

message 14: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (love-in-pages) | 17 comments It really looks like fun! I'm totally in!

message 15: by Olivia (new)

Olivia McCloskey (brewingupbooks) | 2470 comments Mod
Click here to join the team of your choice.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I will most likely not be joining in the race, which is such a cool idea, but I will be cheering from the sidelines:)

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I know that mention earlier that I wouldn't join in the race to read. But it sounds like just way too much fun that I have just joined up:)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.