Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

Archive Discussion > **PLEASE READ!** Group review running up to 2014!!!!!

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (last edited Nov 16, 2013 11:58AM) (new)

GinBee (jennymbee) | 4468 comments Mod
Hello everyone!!

First of all let's start with the good news! The group is alive and well, and needs your help to make it even more awesome! So I need you to tell me what you want :-)

I'm going to discuss where we are and what is or might be happening, we are going to be in a period of review until the end of the year. The plan is to work in and try out any changes and stuff with a view to exploding into 2014! (can you believe it's less than 7 weeks away!!)

I'm looking for a small group of people who would be interested in having extra input into how the group moves forward - if you are interested please let me know and I'll invite you to the private group I'm setting up for it :-)

Everyone please feel free to feedback to me through a message or in the thread here

The areas which will be considered:

Group reads - are you happy with the current format? Do you think we should have less of them?
Buddy reads - do you know what they are & do you want them?
Challenges - do you enjoy them? Do you want annual as well as monthly?
Set up of the group - does this work for you?
Games/Quizzes - do you enjoy these?
Book lists - would these be useful if expanded?
Bloggers corner - do you want to keep this?
Author interviews, giveaways & review programmes - do you like these, would you like to see more?

Do you have any other comments, thoughts or ideas???

Thanks for reading and look forward to hearing all your thoughts really soon :-)

Jenny

ps. Are you an author? Would you be interested in taking part in a Q&A or group reviews of your book?

message 2: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (new)

GinBee (jennymbee) | 4468 comments Mod
:-)

message 3: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 118 comments Group reads: I never participated due to lack of time. Working on my own manuscript or reading/reviewing other books than the ones chosen.

Buddy reads: no clue what it is.

Challenges: Same as group reads. Never done any, but I hope to be able to do some in 2014.

Set up of the group: Yes why not?

Games/quizzes: yep!

Book Lists: If you mean bookshelf? I never check it personally.

Bloggers: I honestly have no clue. I set my email to receive every post and I don't really pay attention to what discussion group or discussion board it is. If it interests me, I read, if not, I'll skip. (Does that make any sense?)

Author interviews, giveaways &Review programs: I sometimes read the first, (not often though, it depends on how long my list of email is.) I like giveaways (who doesn't?) and I love review programs. Although I haven't had time to participate lately. (See reason in #1)

Author question: Sure, but I doubt anyone would be interested in me or my stuff. :>

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 4475 comments My thoughts...

Group reads - While I like the current format, I do think there are too many each month. Even shifting us down to just four each month would be better, as at least then we'd be able to see all four books on the group home page. Two a month would be even better: we could do one YA and one adult; or one YA/Adult and one whatever, with YAs being in odd months and adults in evens; or alternating monthly YA/Adult and one member's choice... That said, I'm awful at participating in the discussions. I'm disabled with mental health challenges and have been struggling to participate lately. I've been better at updating the status updates with pages/percentages complete, but participating in the discussion threads has proven somewhat overwhelming for me. :(

Buddy reads - I do know what they are but I'm fairly ambivalent about them. As with all my groups' monthly reads, I'm awful at participating in the buddy reads I'm interested in with my other groups. But a thread to find a buddy who'd like to read a certain book might be nice, even for me. For instance, I've been meaning to read Night Shift for months now, but haven't yet got around to it. If someone else has been meaning/wanting to read it, we could buddy up and set a date to read it: that would give me the impetus I need to start it. I'd probably find it easier just to follow my buddy's status updates and have him/her follow mine, since I'm fairly awful at sharing my thoughts in threads, though.

Challenges - I love the challenges! I'm not always timely in my participation in them, but I do love participating in them! I really like the annual challenges this group has and hope you'll do them again (or at least some variation of an annual challenge or challenges) in 2014. I like the monthly challenges, too: it's fun to try and pigeonhole my books into the categories for the challenging ones, and I find it just as fun to participate in the easier ones, too. :)

Set up of the group - I don't really know how it could change, but I do have two thoughts to share: One is that I think it would be nice to have at least two Archive Folders: one for Archive-Miscellaneous and the other for Archived Group Reads. The other thought is it would be nice to have more moderator participation in the games threads: some of them are over 10,000 messages long. It'd be great to have them closed and new threads created when they reach a certain size.

Games/Quizzes - I like the games better than the quizzes: I rarely, if ever, do the latter.

Book lists - I don't really know what you mean by Book Lists...Are you talking about the Series folders in the Discussions? Something else? Or do you mean lists of the sort that any Goodreads member can add to and vote on? The latter might be nice, especially if we have one folder that contains a list of links to the various lists.

Bloggers corner - I'm not a blogger and I'm also not much of a blog follower, so I wouldn't miss this but it also doesn't bother me that it's in the Discussions. I just don't follow those threads.

Author interviews, giveaways & review programmes - I'm also not much for reading these threads.

I used to follow all the discussions, but when I started to have my health troubles it just became too overwhelming to keep track of all the various threads created by and for/about authors/giveaways/reviews/blogs. Nowadays I mostly just focus on reading and updating my reading-status and writing my reviews, and participating in the challenges and some of the games.

These are my thoughts/suggestions. Feel free to take them or leave them! :)

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) My 2 cents:

Group reads - I like them in principle and participate when I manage to read the book or if it is a book I've already read. I agree with Jen that there are too many and like the idea of having one Adult and one YA or one PNR and one UF.

Buddy reads - I really enjoy buddy reads and tend to participate in them more than group reads for the simple reason that it is usually a book I planned on reading anyway, and it is fun to discuss it with someone or a couple of someones :0)

Challenges - I'm not as good with monthly challenges as they don't always fit in with what I want to read. I prefer annual challenges that are not too specific so that I can fit almost anything into them. My preference is for scavenger hunt type challenges over spell it out because they help me narrow down my TBR choices.

Set up of the group - I like the set up. My one small nitpick is that there seems to be a LOT of self-promotion in the group. Is there a way to consolidate this aspect?

Games/Quizzes - Don't really participate due to lack of time.

Book lists - I like the series lists if that is what you mean. Perhaps there is a way to make them more active though as new members may be wary of resurrecting an old thread.

Bloggers corner - Don't really follow this section either.

Author interviews, giveaways & review programmes - Sure. I enjoy author interviews and giveaways. I don't really participate in review programs though.

Thanks for all your hard work, Jenny!

message 6: by Marilyn (last edited Nov 17, 2013 03:04PM) (new)

Marilyn Phillips | 6 comments Hi Jenny.

I'm an author and I would be interested in taking part in a Q&A or group reviews of my books:

Mystery Falls Mystery Falls (Mystery Falls, #1) by Marilyn Phillips and Mystery Rises Mystery Rises (Mystery Falls, #2) by Marilyn Phillips

Lady Alexandrine | 44 comments Hello Jenny,

I am still new in the group. I am in a process of figuring it out. I am a bit confused with so many group reads. Maybe their numer could be limited a bit?

I like the idea of buddy reads, but not sure how they work. Is it enough that I post a comment that I am looking for a buddy to read a certain book and wait for an answer that someone is interested?

I like challenges. Hopefully, I will have more time for them next year. I like author interviews and giveaways.

Kind regards,

Alexandra

message 8: by Vera (new)

Vera Maslow I enjoy group reads. Maybe there are too many. Maybe if we did one each series YA/Adult and then either 1 each of the debut/first in series or 1 whatever read either YA or Adult.

I don't usually participate in Buddy Reads, but they can be fun.

I love doing the challenges... the yearly, and sometimes the monthly. I had a group that did a letter of the alphabet each month for a challenge read. I thought it was fun and left it a little more general and open most the time. It was like C- is cover, read a book because the cover has caught your eye. or could even be like V is vampires, read a vampire book. but it was like that starting with A going through the alphabet. Just a thought maybe something along those lines would be kind of fun and maybe be less limiting. I did enjoy in this group where it was the read a book title or author with the letters for like WINTER or something.

The group set up is pretty good. Some times it is overwhelming because there seems to be a lot of old posts that maybe need to be archived. I like the A-Z books. and maybe for the group reads we can do a Spoiler and No Spoiler thread for each book so those that want to talk in general about the book and those that haven read yet can safely read that thread and those that want to get into more detail can safely do that.

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda L. (awikstrand) Group reads - I like the group reads and this is the primary reason I am in the group. I like to pick one of the many so the number doesn't really overwhelm me. I do get overwhelmed by the number of series and have unsuccessfully nominated individual books. I was going to try again, but never got a chance. Because there are so many series, I really liked having an ongoing series that the group was reading (currently the Iron Druid series). One book a month was just about all I can handle between library wait lists and my other reading lists.

Buddy reads - I don't know or understand them.

Challenges - I participate on the annual ones - keep those. The monthly ones are just a little too intense for me.

Set up of the group - No complaints here

Games/Quizzes - I don't participate

Book lists - Meh. Don't really use them

Bloggers corner - I skip all of these convos. Feels like a lot of sales pitches have been coming at us resently. It is probably because they are not watered down with all of the book club conversations this month.

Author interviews, giveaways & review programmes - I used to participate. Then I won a book that was never sent to me. Now I just skip. Seriously, don't have a give-a-way if you are not going to send the book. I don't know if there is any quality control we can implement, but never receiving the book after several follow emails was a huge bummer.

message 10: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 236 comments Group reads - are you happy with the current format? It's okay, although most of the time I've already read or don't have access to the books.

Do you think we should have less of them? Every month is hard for me with the other groups I'm in.

Buddy reads - do you know what they are & do you want them? I love buddy reads. There's another group I'm in where you pick a buddy for six months and then you check out each other's TBR shelves and pick from there. This way you read a new book and read something you already have.

Challenges - do you enjoy them? Do you want annual as well as monthly? I think annual ones work best for me Or maybe bi-annual.

Set up of the group - does this work for you? Yes.

Games/Quizzes - do you enjoy these? Don't really do them here.

Book lists - would these be useful if expanded? I don't use this either.

Bloggers corner - do you want to keep this? I only have the blog through Booklikes.

Author interviews, giveaways & review programmes - do you like these, would you like to see more? I don't really participate in this.

Do you have any other comments, thoughts or ideas??? Nope, just the above.

message 11: by Vannessa (last edited Nov 30, 2013 12:57PM) (new)

Vannessa | 175 comments Just thought I would add my tuppence worth :)

Group reads - are you happy with the current format? Do you think we should have less of them? I don't generally read them either because they don't fit in with my monthly challenges, I have already read them or I haven't got them/want to read them (I am quite picky at times about what I want to read).

Buddy reads - do you know what they are & do you want them? I do know what they are but I don't join in with them although I think I should give one a go some time!

Challenges - do you enjoy them? Do you want annual as well as monthly? I totally love the reading challenges, both annual and monthly and I find it stretches my repertoire of books. I have read so many new books that I would never have picked up before just so that it fits in with this month's challenge! I only wish that the challenge post would be posted a few days before the challenge starts so I have the chance to buy any new books to fit the challenge (I spend £30 on my Kindle books on payday at the end of each month and am a bit OCD about being organised too :P)

Set up of the group - does this work for you? Yep!

Games/Quizzes - do you enjoy these? Only join in occasionally as I don't spend too much time on here - would rather be reading or alternatively have a heap of work to do instead.

Book lists - would these be useful if expanded? I do like the book lists for the different types of books - always helpful if I want to try out a new series for a particular type of character.

Bloggers corner - do you want to keep this? I don't really use this, but I do keep meaning to spend more time on my book blog, which I only update once in a blue moon, so might be useful in the future!

Author interviews, giveaways & review programmes - do you like these, would you like to see more? Oops didn't know about this so will have to go and read some of these threads!

Do you have any other comments, thoughts or ideas? Love the widgets for the challenges and the links directly from them to the actual challenge - saves me hunting for it! Not sure if this is more of a Goodreads thing than the group thing, but I would love a tick mark or something to show which threads I have posted in (like I get in other forums).

Hugs, Vannessa

message 12: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 4 comments Have plans been made for 2014, as yet?

message 13: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Basile (ahunsicker) | 274 comments 2014 Yearly Challenges??