Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Catilina's Riddle (Roma Sub Rosa, #3)
This topic is about Catilina's Riddle
Page Numbering Requests > Missing page count for B005QMUT80

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Bethany (gingersnapdragon) Could someone add a page count of 508 to this edition of the book? Thanks!

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie (dragonsusie) | 2472 comments How are you counting? WorldCat says 495.

message 3: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 106 comments Susie wrote: "How are you counting? WorldCat says 495."

That's for the paperback - although Bethany linked to the paperback edition, ASIN B005QMUT80 is mentioned in the topic title so I'm assuming she's talking about the Kindle edition (UK) and Amazon says it has 532 pages.

This is the edition I think she wants the page count added to: Catilina's Riddle. I would add it but not so sure where 508 is coming from since according to Amazon it should be 532.

Bethany (gingersnapdragon) Sorry! First time I’ve done this. Yes, I’m using the UK Kindle edition; I own the book and my copy says 508 pages, so I’m not sure which is correct.

If I wanted to make any other requests like this, would it be best to just quote the ASIN/ISBN and not link the book in case of any confusion?

message 5: by Z-squared (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments if you're not totally comfortable with navigating goodreads' system for multiple editions, then yes, quoting the ASIN or ISBN is helpful.

message 6: by Susie (new)

Susie (dragonsusie) | 2472 comments Ah, sorry - didn't see the ASIN there as it was on the second line. Went straight to the link.

Have updated the Kindle edition to 508 pages - Amazon isn't always known for being 100% accurate.

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

rivka | 43570 comments Mod
The only formats for which book-in-hand does not trump publisher/Amazon/etc. data are ebooks. User settings, precise model of ereader, and other variables can mean that the same book on your ereader and mine have different page counts. Therefore, for ebooks (including Kindle editions), the page number should come from the publisher. As far as I can see, that means 532 in this case.

message 8: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 106 comments rivka wrote: "The only formats for which book-in-hand does not trump publisher/Amazon/etc. data are ebooks. User settings, precise model of ereader, and other variables can mean that the same book on your ereade..."

Actually, Kindle pages are static and are based on a print edition. The same Kindle book should have the same number of pages on any device, with any settings. That was the whole reason Amazon introduced "real page numbers", so they would be the same for all users, across all devices. And yes, this does mean that you can turn the "page" in the Kindle but the page number remains the same.

So it's likely that 508 is the more accurate number because this should be static. Although Amazon says it's 532, if it's actually 508 when downloaded, it should be 508 for everyone, across all devices. This has been the case for about 2 years now and I really think GR needs to reconsider this policy for Kindle editions.

Bethany (gingersnapdragon) I just checked, and I can confirm that the book shows 508 pages in the Kindle apps for iPad and iPhone, also. Bit puzzling that the book says one thing and Amazon another. I was going through my books for the year, changing them to the right edition in order to get an accurate page count, and I did come across this kind of discrepancy with many of my other books. I decided to just go with whatever editions were closest in the end, otherwise I’d be over here all the time asking for updated page counts :)

And here’s me thinking that tracking pages as well as the number of books I read would be more accurate. Ha!

Anyway, thanks for your help everyone!

message 10: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 106 comments Bethany wrote: "I just checked, and I can confirm that the book shows 508 pages in the Kindle apps for iPad and iPhone, also. Bit puzzling that the book says one thing and Amazon another. I was going through my bo..."

You can always become a librarian yourself. The only requirement to become a librarian is that you have at least 50 books added to your shelves.

https://www.goodreads.com/librarian_m...

message 11: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Nov 18, 2013 09:33AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Robin wrote: "Actually, Kindle pages are static and are based on a print edition. The same Kindle book should have the same number of pages on any device, with any settings."

I am well aware that is how it is supposed to work. And it does appear to with some Kindle books. But definitely not all. A given individual's apps should sync up, regardless. Better proof would be if someone else has the book and also has the same number of pages.

message 12: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 106 comments rivka wrote: "I am well aware that is how it is supposed to work. And it does appear to with some Kindle books. But definitely not all. A given individual's apps should sync up, regardless. Better proof would be if someone else has the book and also has the same number of pages. "

For this case, yes, that would help. But does that mean we have to find two different people with the same Kindle edition and match number pages in every case where the book doesn't match the page numbers from the Amazon book page? Have you seen first hand when two users with the same Kindle edition have different page numbers?

message 13: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Robin wrote: "Have you seen first hand when two users with the same Kindle edition have different page numbers?"

Yes, more than once.