Cozy Mysteries discussion

Find a book or series > Authors Similar in Style to Mary Higgins Clark

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 5 comments Hello Everyone!

Any suggestions for authors similar in style to Mary Higgins Clark? I love her books, but I've read all of them!

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan (mysterywriter) | 201 comments Lesley wrote: "Hello Everyone!

Any suggestions for authors similar in style to Mary Higgins Clark? I love her books, but I've read all of them!"

I love Mary Higgins Clark's work, too! I think she's one of the best at using 3rd person multiple POV and planting doubts and suspicions throughout the work.

What is it that you enjoy most about her fiction? Knowing that might help some of us make better suggestions.

~Susan
Deadly Ties A Waterside Kennels Mystery by Susan Holmes

message 3: by Moonlight (new)

Moonlight | 49 comments From a slightly different era (40's, 50's and 60's) try Mary Stewart. My Brother Michael by Mary Stewart

message 4: by ☯Emily (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 57742 comments Mary Higgins Clark has a former daughter-in-law who writes in a similar style. Her name is Mary Jane Clark.

message 5: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 5 comments Thank you all! Susan, I like the plot lines in Mary Higgins Clark's books - the twists and turns always keep you guessing! Also you can relate to the main character. The pacing of developments in the story (to me) is a real page-turner!

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan (mysterywriter) | 201 comments Lesley wrote: "Thank you all! Susan, I like the plot lines in Mary Higgins Clark's books - the twists and turns always keep you guessing! Also you can relate to the main character. The pacing of developments in t..."

When I'm asked which writers influenced me, she's one of the first I mention. I love the way she uses short scenes and chapters to keep the action moving. That's a technique I used when writing Deadly Ties: A Waterside Kennels Mystery.

I checked the website http://www.similarauthors.com/ and skimmed the authors they suggest have something in common with Clark but confess I didn't see the connection. Your thoughts?

message 7: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn fidler (curarose) to be honest i have never read Mary higgins Clark but have read quite a few of the similiar authors listed. they all have something in common with each other so I can see it. Only ones I questioned were Danielle Steel and VC andrews

message 8: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 5 comments Thank you Susan and Evelyn. I'll check out the website.

Susan, it didn't click in at first that you are also an author! Duh, that's probably why I can never guess the murderer in the Mary Higgins Clark mysteries :-) I bought your book and its on my Kindle, ready to read!

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan (mysterywriter) | 201 comments Lesley wrote: "Thank you Susan and Evelyn. I'll check out the website.

Susan, it didn't click in at first that you are also an author! Duh, that's probably why I can never guess the murderer in the Mary Higgins..."

Thank you, Lesley. I hope you enjoy the book!

I love it when I can't guess the murderer. When I've finished the book part of the fun for me is going back and looking for the clues that point to the villain. Often, things that seem so innocent on first reading turn out to be major clues!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I have read all of Mary Jane Clarks cozy mysteries and I think she is a great writer. Check her out; you won't be disappointed.

message 11: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 5 comments Peg, I've also read most of Mary Jane Clark's novels - she is excellent and I like her work better than Carol Higgins Clark...

message 12: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn fidler (curarose) I rarely guess the murderer, i have suspects but often I am wrong, maybe I am naturally clueless or you need to be an author to see how they are placed.

message 13: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Lesley wrote: "Hello Everyone!

Any suggestions for authors similar in style to Mary Higgins Clark? I love her books, but I've read all of them!"

Have you tried looking at literaure map? It is a graphical look at similarities in authors - the closer together two authors are on the map, the more similar they are. Here is the link for Mary Higgins Clark.

message 14: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Evelyn wrote: "to be honest i have never read Mary higgins Clark but have read quite a few of the similiar authors listed. they all have something in common with each other so I can see it. Only ones I question..."

I definitely don't get the Danielle Steel & V.C. Andrews connections either. Haven't read an MHC book in some years, but they were leaps and bounds better than Danielle Steel! I was only ever able to make it through one of her books and that was because I was in the hospital and a friend brought it for me as gift and I had nothing else to read at the time. I vowed to NEVER pick up another of her books. The V.C. Andrews thing just mystifies me. Remember reading FLOWERS IN THE ATTIC back in the day...not even in the same dimension! LOL

message 15: by Susan (new)

Susan (mysterywriter) | 201 comments Leslie wrote: "Lesley wrote: "Hello Everyone!

Have you tried looking at literaure map? It is a ..."

The literature map is awesome--thanks so much for posting the link!

message 16: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 5 comments Literature map is excellent. Put in Mary Higgins Clark, and saw, among others, Patricia Cornwall and Sue Grafton. Like them both!

message 17: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn fidler (curarose) me too Leslie!

Melodie I read Flowers in the Attic at far too young an age, I think I was around 11 and it has haunted me ever since so never picked up another one of hers. Been years since I felt able to read a thriller.

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Evelyn wrote: "me too Leslie!

Melodie I read Flowers in the Attic at far too young an age, I think I was around 11 and it has haunted me ever since so never picked up another one of hers. Been years since I fel..."

I read it around the same age - maybe 12/13 at oldest - and it totally sleeved me out. Never read another one either.

message 19: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments ❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes) wrote: "Evelyn wrote: "me too Leslie!

Melodie I read Flowers in the Attic at far too young an age, I think I was around 11 and it has haunted me ever since so never picked up another one of hers. Been ye..."

I'm thinking FLOWERS IN THE ATTIC came out about 1979 or so, which puts me considerably older than you & Evelyn. I would have been 23, still it was quite the book for the time. My mother had seen something about it somewhere about it and mentioned it to me, so I got a copy of it. There's to be a new TV movie of it on Lifetime in January. They say they stick to the book pretty well, so I might give it a watch.

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) I can't even imagine how they're gonna tackle that relationship in a made-for-TV movie....

But yeah, it was first published in 79, although I didn't read it for quite a few years after that (I was in 7th or 8th grade, so I would have had to have been 13 or 14 more accurately.)

message 21: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn fidler (curarose) makes sense as I was born in '65 so would have been about 11 when it came out. It was close to the time when Carrie came out and that freaked me out too, probably would be rather cheasy to watch it now.

message 22: by Eva (new)

Eva Gerus | 86 comments If you love Mary Higgins Clark, you will adore Wendy Corsi Staub, I love her like Mary Higgins ClarkAll The Way Home

message 23: by C. (last edited Nov 18, 2013 04:45AM) (new)

C. | 87 comments Lesley wrote: "Hello Everyone!

Have you checked the winners of the 'Mary Higgins Clark Award'?

Here are the guidelines for the Clark nomination. 1) No on-scene violence. 2) No four-letter words or explicit sex scenes 3) The protagonist is a nice young woman. 4) She is not looking for trouble. 5) She solves her problem by her own courage & intelligence. 6) She has an interesting job. 7) She's self-made, independent, & has good family relationships.Info from......

http://www.amazon.com/forum/thriller/...

message 24: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Schlichting (barbschlichting) | 36 comments I haven't read one of her books in years, but I do like writing. There's too many books to choose from and not enough time.

message 25: by Giulia (new)

Giulia Beyman Lesley wrote: "Hello Everyone!

I love her books too, Lesley! I've read all of them.
I decided to start writing with her books (many years ago). We don't have an author like her in Italy.
I love the way Mary Higgins Clark is able to create suspense, the charachters she invents and her use of multiple POV.
I still didn't find a well known author that writes books like she does.

message 26: by Giulia (last edited Nov 19, 2013 09:34AM) (new)

Giulia Beyman Lesley wrote: "Hello Everyone!

I love her books too, Lesley! I've read all of them.
I decided to start writing with her books (many years ago). We don't have an author like her in Italy.
I love the way Mary Higgins Clark is able to create suspense, the characters she invents and her use of multiple POV.
I still didn't find a well known author that writes books like she does.

message 27: by H.d. (new)

H.d. Terech | 1 comments I am a huge MHC fan. I recommend Stephanie Bond. Slightly different, but she is a great author that draws me in like MHC.
My own books fit in the MHC award criteria as mentioned above.
Fatal Reunion by H.D. Terech

message 28: by Susan (new)

Susan (mysterywriter) | 201 comments Giulia wrote: "I love her books too, Lesley! I've read all of th..."

(slightly off topic) Love the holiday tree on your website, and looking forward to perusing your books!

message 29: by Giulia (new)

Giulia Beyman Thanks, Susan.
I saw that also your books (and your writing) are influenced by Mary Higgins Clark. And we both write and love mysteries. Great!
Happy to get in touch with you.
Forgive me for my bad English but I'm Italian (someone else translated my books for me) and I've still some difficulties on writing and reading in English

message 30: by Susan (last edited Dec 04, 2013 04:53AM) (new)

Susan (mysterywriter) | 201 comments Giulia wrote: "Thanks, Susan. I saw that also your books (and your writing) are influenced by Mary Higgins Clark. And we both write and love mysteries. Great!
Happy to get in touch with you. Forgive me for my bad..."

Your English is superb, Giulia. And I'm impressed you had your books translated; that sounds like quite a challenge. So much of language is culture-specific, isn't it?

Just ordered Words in the Dark (Nora Cooper Mysteries #1) by Giulia Beyman (great cover, btw)

message 31: by Giulia (new)

Giulia Beyman Thanks, Susan. That's very kind of you!
Yes, having my books translated into English is a great challenge. Still trying to decide if I'm more brave or crazy. But I believe in the power of signs. Maybe there's a reason why I decided to set my first mystery novel in Martha's Vineyard instead than in Italy, where I live.
Saw you are the author of a mystery series too. So sorry I'm not still so good on reading in English but I'll take a look. Maybe I can learn more English reading it... Your book seems very intriguing...
It seems that dogs have a great part in your life and in your work. Are you writing the second book in the series?
So happy to meet you!

message 32: by Susan (new)

Susan (mysterywriter) | 201 comments Giulia wrote: "Thanks, Susan. That's very kind of you!
Yes, having my books translated into English is a great challenge. Still trying to decide if I'm more brave or crazy. But I believe in the power of signs. Ma..."

I sent you a message.

message 33: by Susan (new)

Susan (mysterywriter) | 201 comments Quirky question for the group:

Ever wonder who Mary Higgins Clark reads? Has she ever mentioned that in an interview?