Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

Dance of the Red Death (Masque of the Red Death, #2)
This topic is about Dance of the Red Death
BUDDY READS: ARCHIVED > Dance of the Red Death (Masque of the Red Death #2) → Start Date: December 10th, 2013

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments Please feel free to join Mandiann and I as we continue the Masque of the Red Death series with book 2!

Mandiann (goodreadscommandiann) | 7509 comments So excited! Glad I didn't read it last week because I am super excited to buddy read it.

message 3: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments yay! I'm glad too! I'm so interested to see where this goes from here!!

message 4: by Paige (new)

Paige Yin (paigeyin) | 168 comments i am reading the masque of the red death on 5th, so might be joining you guys to read this too, if I finish #1 in time XD

message 5: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments Yay Paige! We'd love to have you join! Fingers crossed!!

message 6: by Paige (new)

Paige Yin (paigeyin) | 168 comments hehe, shall post here and let you know again. xDD

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Joining :)

message 8: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments yay Lisa!! Welcome!!

message 9: by Mandiann (last edited Nov 19, 2013 02:58PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mandiann (goodreadscommandiann) | 7509 comments Sweet! So excited. Looks like we have a good group of us. Did anyone read Glitter & Doom (Masque of the Red Death, #1.5) by Bethany Griffin ?

message 10: by Trisha, lives on coffee (last edited Nov 19, 2013 09:02PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments I did!!! I really liked it! it was interesting to see what happened with April when she was gone!

her dad *shudders* ugh....

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I got that one from the library yesterday... will be reading soon.

message 12: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments Lisa wrote: "I got that one from the library yesterday... will be reading soon."

yay!!!!

Mandiann (goodreadscommandiann) | 7509 comments Lisa wrote: "I got that one from the library yesterday... will be reading soon."

It was really good! Short but great. It takes place at the same time as the first book.

message 14: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments yay! I can't wait! Ready for this one today??

come back every 5??

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

:) Ready!

Mandiann (goodreadscommandiann) | 7509 comments I will catch up in a few days. Still waiting for my book but should get it any day now.

message 17: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments okay I'm 5 chapters in

man, these masks just get more and more confusing to me.

So, they partially cover your mouth and they definitely cover your eyes. They sound like they cover your nose too (the tubes and all)

so do you just never breathe through your mouth?
and the new detail, we can see eyebrows....so it doesn't go too above the eyes. lol I wish the author would release a cover or a photo of her idea for them, I just can't picture them for some reason....

anyway...good 5 chapters with lots of action and adveture

I wasn't sure (view spoiler)

I think the worst part is (view spoiler)

Mandiann (goodreadscommandiann) | 7509 comments Yay!!! I JUST GOT IT!!

So excited! I can't wait to start.

Mandiann (goodreadscommandiann) | 7509 comments I am also very confused about the masks. We should message the author asking and see if she responds. Also we could put together a list of everything we know about them and see if we can draw what we think it might look like.

I can't really find any fan art. The Indonesian book cover shows a mask but it doesn't fit with what I am picturing in my head.

Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin

The part that confuses me the most about the masks is the mention of Araby eating in her mask in book one.

message 20: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments Mandiann wrote: "Yay!!! I JUST GOT IT!!

So excited! I can't wait to start."

yay!!!!! :D

message 21: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments Yes, I remember being confused about the eating too!
She was okay to eat in it

but don't they have to move funny to kiss in it? Or did she have to move the mask slightly in order to eat.

Your cover above! Nice find, BTW, I hadn't seen that one!!
but THAT cover makes no sense. It covers the mouth but not the eyes?? I keep thinking the exact opposite type of mask.

this is another cover of the book. Is this closer to what you were thinking too?? Masque of the Red Death (Masque of the Red Death, #1) by Bethany Griffin

WOW!!! Do you think if we asked, she would respond and let us know what it looks like??

I've seen this fan art too but it STILL doesn't seem to help!

this one is great....close maybe? but this book mentions seeing eyebrows...and you can't in these masques :(
http://morriganart.deviantart.com/art...
& here: http://iron-gibbetstudios.deviantart....

ugh...I'm open to sending a message. should we do that? I love your idea!!

Mandiann (goodreadscommandiann) | 7509 comments I pictured it a bit more like a gas mask because you breath into it and the mask on the one above wouldn't cover the mouth.

Yes, when eating she had to adjust her mask to the side so she could eat in it while still breathing through it.

We should do it. Are we just going to ask what it looks like or are we going to be more specific with our questions?

message 23: by Trisha, lives on coffee (last edited Dec 11, 2013 06:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments I wonder if she has an image she based it on!

Have you read the poem by Edgar Allen Poe that this is based on? I wonder if that would give us more.

I'm off to see if I can find the story on ebook :D

message 24: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments okay, I wonder if the copyright is up on this book
I found it both on a website and the audio version.

so I'm going to listen to it tomorrow while reading it (lol! why not!? the audio has sound effects and all!)

and I'll let you know if there's anything in there

for now, though, I'm taking this book to bed :)

goodnight!

message 25: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments okay, it didn't shed any light on the masks even though it was spooky. I did find these covers in there tho.

Masque de La Mort Rouge by Edgar Allan Poe The Masque of the Red Death by Edgar Allan Poe

not that they help AT ALL
lol I plan to pick this one up and keep reading :)

message 26: by Trisha, lives on coffee (last edited Dec 13, 2013 08:39AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments omg 10 chapters

yikes, this triangle is getting complex

When Will (view spoiler)

Elliott's (view spoiler)

and OMG (view spoiler)

and April (view spoiler)

message 27: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments wow, okay I'm done

and there is a clarification in the book

Araby has AT LEAST 3 masques
and she describes how they are different....so maybe that will be her answer??

anyhow, I'm done
and this one DID NOT go as I thought it would
wow it's good. I can't wait to see what you think!

Mandiann (goodreadscommandiann) | 7509 comments I am only on chapter 4. I haven't had much time for anything recently.

Glad you enjoyed it and that it wasn't entirely ruined for you!

message 29: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments I hope you like it

I didn't realize it was the last one!! I thought we had one more!!! :(

Mandiann (goodreadscommandiann) | 7509 comments Yeah, strange in this day to see a series that is not a trilogy.

Mandiann (goodreadscommandiann) | 7509 comments I am just finished chapter 11.

I agree that (view spoiler)

I don't think April (view spoiler)

Overall I think I was enjoying book 1 more by the halfway point. Hopefully now that April and Kent are back in the story it will get more interesting.

message 32: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments oh man, sorry you aren't enjoying it too much
it's rough at first but I did like it :)

Mandiann (goodreadscommandiann) | 7509 comments I'm finished but its bedtime. I will post my thoughts tomorrow. I liked the ending.

message 34: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments Yay I'm glad you liked it!!
I was sad but didn't hate where it went :)