Richard III discussion

Two questions about Richard's motto...

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Craig (new)

Craig Lenaghan | 6 comments Hi guys, I'm currently adding the finishing touches to a short fiction story about Richard III, but I have two questions about Richard's motto that need answering. I reckon that you people must be very knowledgeable about Richard, so you seem like some of the best and most convenient people to ask these questions. :-D

The first question is: Is Richard's motto, "Loyaulté me Lie", Latin or old French? I'd assumed for quite a while that it was Latin, but I've heard from a few sources that it's actually old French. I have become more convinced myself that it is old French, but I just wanted your thoughts.

The second question is: How is Richard's motto, "Loyaulté me Lie", pronounced? I'm asking this because I'm intending to read out the story at some events and so I don't want to pronounce this motto incorrectly.

Anyone who is unsure about the answer to any of these questions could suggest how/where I could find the answer if they can. Thanks for any help. :-)

message 2: by Ernestina (new)

Ernestina (valern) | 76 comments I'm quite sure it is old French and, as a descendant of the Latins (!), I can tell you the motto is certainly not in Latin. The Latin word for 'loyalty' is 'fidelitas'.

message 3: by Craig (new)

Craig Lenaghan | 6 comments Thanks, Ernestina. It seems that half of online sources say it's Latin and another half say it's old French, but I know the Internet has a lot of unreliable information and I'm pretty convinced now that it must be old French.

message 4: by Andrew (last edited Nov 16, 2013 11:29AM) (new)

Andrew Ashling (andrewashling) | 39 comments Pronunciation (approximation): Lwah-io-teh muh Lee (the last ee should be relatively short.)
For a better result, use this: http://imtranslator.net/translate-and...

It means: Loyalty binds me.

It's French (perfectly understandable for present day French speakers).

message 5: by Craig (new)

Craig Lenaghan | 6 comments Thanks Andrew, I haven't yet listened to the pronunciation on that website, but it looks like a very useful website for me. :-D

message 6: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Ashling (andrewashling) | 39 comments Craig wrote: "Thanks Andrew, I haven't yet listened to the pronunciation on that website, but it looks like a very useful website for me. :-D"

My pleasure. :)

To go some more into details: the only difference lies in the word "loyaulté." It has lost the "l" and has become "loyauté" in modern French.

message 7: by Craig (new)

Craig Lenaghan | 6 comments Just listened to the pronounciation on that website (I had to switch to a desktop computer as it wouldn't work on my iPad), I think I know everything I need now. Thanks again, both of you. :-)

message 8: by Ernestina (new)

Ernestina (valern) | 76 comments I hope to read your story soon, good luck!

message 9: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Ashling (andrewashling) | 39 comments Yep, all the best. :)