The Backlot Gay Book Forum discussion

Too Many Fairy Princes
This topic is about Too Many Fairy Princes
Fantasy Discussions > Too Many Fairy Princes by Alex Beecroft

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ulysses Dietz | 1586 comments Alex Beecroft is a mistress of many genres...
The title of Alex Beecroft's book, "Too Many Fairy Princes," doesn't really quite do it justice.

It is too elegant, too delicately wrought, its emotions too genuinely felt, to be classed as a farce, which is what I think the title suggests. Maybe the author, who is a really wonderful writer, thought it would help sell it.

To be truthful, there is farce here, but it is more like a surreal comedy of manners, because the worlds of Kjartan and Joel are so different, their worldviews so completely alien to each other (at first), that it cannot help but make you laugh. But what struck me in reading this book was the wonderful sense of observation - the careful way the author makes us feel we are seeing something actually happen - the strangeness of Joe's discovery of a clearly magical creature right out of Tolkien collapsed behind his trash bins. The strangeness that Kjarten feels while experiencing reactions to this bumbling, awkward human that shouldn't even exist according to his training and his station.

Beecroft offers some of the most beautifully crafted narrative in the m/m genre, bringing in the paranormal/magical aspects of the tale as if she was an anthropologist studying an isolated tribe (which, of course, she is). And she doesn't make everything neat and tidy - we get the world of elves as it is, a mixture opulence and hatefulness. She lets us see Joel through Kjartan's eyes, and vice versa, and lets us feel what they feel with a gentle touch that traps us in the ultimate, crystalline truth of this fairy tale - that love is transformative, powerful, destructive, and potentially redemptive.

And, beyond all belief, HM Queen Elizabeth II appears, and it totally makes sense. Read it, you'll see.

Octobercountry | 1169 comments Mod
This sounds like fun! Definitely on my "to read" list.

And.... It's moved straight from my wish-list to my Kindle; I finished the book this afternoon.

Most enjoyable! Ulysses summed it up so very nicely that I don't have much to add, other than I'll happily recommend this to those who enjoy urban fantasy (or just plain fantasy, for that matter). Oh---and I confess I found the image of Joel on the cover to be quite appealing---heh.

Here's the publisher's blurb:

Happily ever after doesn’t always come quietly. Sometimes it puts up a fight.

Kjartan’s family is royally dysfunctional. He’d prefer to ignore the lot of them, but can’t since his father has set him and his brothers on a quest to win a throne Kjartan doesn’t even want. Worse, his younger brother resorts to murder and forces Kjartan to teleport—without looking where he’s going.

Art gallery worker Joel Wilson’s day has gone from hopeless, to hopeful, then straight to hell. One minute he’s sure his boss has found a way to save the floundering business, the next he’s scrambling to sell everything to pay off a loan shark. If anyone needs a fairy godmother right now, it’s Joel. What he gets is a fugitive elven prince in a trash bin.

They’ll both have to make the best of it, because fairy tales run roughshod over reluctant heroes. Particularly when there aren’t enough happy endings to go around.

Warning: This sweet romance contains a starving artist trying to scrape together a living, extreme sibling rivalry, royalty behaving outrageously, and elves being unreasonably beautiful, grotesque or deadly.

Mercedes | 373 comments I admit I am a very shallow person and wasn't going to read this book because I don't like the cover. BUT I will check it out now based on your recommendations.

message 5: by Octobercountry (last edited Nov 18, 2013 06:41AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ah, now you've got me curious! What didn't you like about the cover?

Man, I don't know why the image of Joel is so appealing to me---sometimes people just strike a person that way, you know? I wasn't similarly enamoured of the elf on the cover, and then I got curious....

I know that these covers are usually put together from stock photos, but I started to wonder how likely it was that there were a bunch of stock photos of elves out there.... Turns out, very likely indeed! A very quick search brought up this picture (check the link), which is the photo that was used to create the cover. It's just one of a whole set of photos done using this model dressed as an elf.... So, I guess there are a bunch of photos of "Joel" out there somewhere too.....

http://www.123rf.com/photo_11535121_p...

Ulysses Dietz | 1586 comments Mercedes wrote: "I admit I am a very shallow person and wasn't going to read this book because I don't like the cover. BUT I will check it out now based on your recommendations."

Yeah, I didn't like the cover either - liked Joel, but not the image of Kai...but I never judge the books by their covers, because find most of them annoying...

Mercedes | 373 comments LOL! I actually didn't like Joel. But that's because I didn't really pay that much attention to the elf. but you guys are right, never judge a book by the cover solely, although marketing is everything sometimes :-).

message 8: by Octobercountry (last edited Aug 13, 2016 12:31PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

A bit off-topic, but I couldn't help but notice an additional title that uses the same photo of the elf model that was chosen for Too Many Fairy Princes. And I distinctly remember this photo being used on yet another book, though I can't remember which one, now.... I can only assume that, while there were a lot of photos taken of this particular fellow wearing elf ears, in general there aren't a lot of photos available of dreamy-looking elves to be found on the stock photo sites.