The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

WINTER CHALLENGE 2013 > 5.2 - In the Library

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Nov 15, 2013 08:46PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10915 comments Mod
5.2 -- In the Library
What's a library without lots and lots of books? Read a book with the genre "books about books" on its main page.

message 2: by Kristina Simon (last edited Feb 06, 2014 06:26PM) (new)

These work:
Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops - Books About Books - 64 users - 11/17
The City of Dreaming Books - Books About Books - 83 users - 11/17
The Horror! The Horror!: Comic Books the Government Didn't Want You to Read! - Books About Books - 6 users - 11/17
You're All Just Jealous of My Jetpack: Cartoons - Books About Books - 4 users - 11/17
Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World - Books About Books - 22 users - 11/17
The Thirteenth Tale - Books About Books - 251 users - 11/18
The Man Who Loved Books Too Much: The True Story of a Thief, a Detective, and a World of Literary Obsession - Books About Books - 154 users - 11/18
Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading - Books About Books - 104 users - 11/25
The Shadow of the Wind - Books About Books - 335 users - 11/27
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Books About Books - 168 users - 11/30
The Heroine's Bookshelf: Life Lessons, from Jane Austen to Laura Ingalls Wilder - Books About Books - 39 users - 12/6
Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader - Books About Books - 260 users - 12/7
The Eyre Affair - Books About Books - 246 users - 12/8
Read This Next: 500 of the Best Books You'll Ever Read - Books About Books - 53 users - 12/21
The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary - Books About Books - 127 users - 12/29
Inkheart - Books About Books - 159 users - 1/3
If on a Winter's Night a Traveler - Books About Books - 63 users - 1/9
Off-Topic: The Story of an Internet Revolt - Books About Books - 8 users - 1/15
Book Of Souls - Books About Books - 6 users - 2/2
The Habitation of the Blessed - Books About Books - 5 users - 2/6

message 3: by Kristina Simon (new)

placeholder

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

This thread is now open.

message 5: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1352 comments Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops  by Jen Campbell Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops Verified in Genre thread #6

Figured I'd post it for others to find:)

message 6: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15858 comments Mod
Deborah wrote: "Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops  by Jen CampbellWeird Things Customers Say in Bookshops Verified in Genre thread #6

Figured I'd post it for others to find:)"

It's also a very quick read and very funny.

message 7: by Dionisia (last edited Nov 16, 2013 10:07AM) (new)

Dionisia (therabidreader) | 436 comments If you are still looking for something to fill this task, then I enthusiastically recommend these books...

The City of Dreaming Books (Zamonien, #4) by Walter Moers
The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers

The Horror! The Horror! Comic Books the Government Didn't Want You to Read! by Jim Trombetta
The Horror! The Horror!: Comic Books the Government Didn't Want You to Read! by Jim Trombetta

You're All Just Jealous of My Jetpack Cartoons by Tom Gauld
You're All Just Jealous of My Jetpack: Cartoons by Tom Gauld

...that's assuming they would all be approved by the task creator.

message 10: by Kristina Simon (last edited Nov 26, 2013 09:34PM) (new)

These work:

Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops - Books About Books - 64 users - 11/17
The City of Dreaming Books - Books About Books - 83 users - 11/17
The Horror! The Horror!: Comic Books the Government Didn't Want You to Read! - Books About Books - 6 users - 11/17
You're All Just Jealous of My Jetpack: Cartoons - Books About Books - 4 users - 11/17
Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World - Books About Books - 22 users - 11/17

message 11: by Kristina Simon (new)

At this time, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society does not show Books About Books on its main page, so unless you got this approved on the genre verification help thread it won't work. Only 168 people have shelved it as Books About Books so far. The book will fit task 5.10, however, since 2112 people have shelved it as Book Club.

message 12: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 1091 comments Thanks Kristi, I'll find another book :)

message 14: by Kristina Simon (new)

Claire wrote: "The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield?"

That one works! The Thirteenth Tale - Books About Books - 251 users - 11/18

message 18: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristine wrote: "Here's one Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading"

I read that one this season and loved it! Good suggestion. ;-)

message 19: by Kristine (new)

Kristine (kristinekae) | 258 comments Would a book that has "writing-books about books" on its main page count? The Shadow of the Wind is a wonderful book for this task!

message 20: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristine wrote: "Would a book that has "writing-books about books" on its main page count? The Shadow of the Wind is a wonderful book for this task!"

Yes. As long as "books about books" appears on the main page, the book will work. This one is wonderful!

message 21: by Amy (last edited Nov 30, 2013 03:46PM) (new)

Amy | 52 comments Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "At this time, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society does not show Books About Books on its main page, so unless you got this approved on the genre verification help threa..."
Kristi - Just curious...when I click on the book title and go to its page, is this the "main page?" If so, Books About Books is listed under genre. Why does this not count for the task? (P.S. Great book btw)

message 22: by Kristina Simon (new)

Amy wrote: "Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "At this time, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society does not show Books About Books on its main page, so unless you got this approve..."

Hi, Amy. You are correct. When you click on the book title, that goes to the book's main page. We've been having a few issues with genres appearing and disappearing from the main pages of books. This is why we've started setting up a Genre Verification Thread in the Challenge Help Thread Folder. You can ask for verification that a genre is present on a particular book's page or you can ask for verification that the genre "childrens" doesn't appear on a book's page that you'd like to use for a higher point task.

I'm glad you brought this book back up. The genre "books about books" did not appear the day I checked it for Claire. It is, however, there now. So that means anyone who wants to read it for this task may do so. It is a great book, too. ;-)

message 23: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7582 comments Kristi can I get The Heroine's Bookshelf: Life Lessons, from Jane Austen to Laura Ingalls Wilder approved for Books about Books - right now seeing 35ish ppl

message 24: by Kristina Simon (new)

Dee wrote: "Kristi can I get The Heroine's Bookshelf: Life Lessons, from Jane Austen to Laura Ingalls Wilder approved for Books about Books - right now seeing 35ish ppl"

Sure thing. The Heroine's Bookshelf: Life Lessons, from Jane Austen to Laura Ingalls Wilder - Books About Books - 39 users - 12/6

message 25: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3923 comments Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader shows genre WRITING > Books About Books. Would that work?

message 26: by Kristina Simon (new)

Bea wrote: "Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader shows genre WRITING > Books About Books. Would that work?"

Yes, that works. Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader - Books About Books - 260 users - 12/7

message 27: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1352 comments Also looks like The Eyre Affair The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next #1) by Jasper Fforde has Books about books with 264 users

message 28: by Kristina Simon (new)

Deborah wrote: "Also looks like The Eyre AffairThe Eyre Affair (Thursday Next #1) by Jasper Fforde has Books about books with 264 users"

So noted. The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next #1) by Jasper Fforde - Books About Books - 246 users - 12/8

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Read This Next 500 of the Best Books You'll Ever Read by Howard Mittelmark

I decided to read this one instead. this works right?

message 30: by Kristina Simon (new)

Delmy =^.^= wrote: "Read This Next 500 of the Best Books You'll Ever Read by Howard Mittelmark

I decided to read this one instead. this works right?"

Yes that works. Read This Next 500 of the Best Books You'll Ever Read by Howard Mittelmark - Books About Books - 53 users - 12/21

message 31: by Susan A (last edited Dec 29, 2013 01:38PM) (new)

Susan A As of today, books about books is the 5th genre listed on the main page. Can I have approval for this book please?

The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary

message 32: by Kristina Simon (last edited Dec 29, 2013 04:23PM) (new)

Susan A wrote: "As of today, books about books is the 5th genre listed on the main page. Can I have approval for this book please?

The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity and the Making o..."

Sure can. The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary - Books About Books - 127 users - 12/29

message 33: by Elizabeth (last edited Jan 03, 2014 12:35AM) (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1183 comments Could I get approval for Inkheart?
The genre "books about books" appears last on the main page (159 users).

message 34: by Kristina Simon (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "Could I get approval for Inkheart?
The genre "books about books" appears last on the main page (159 users)."

Inkheart - Books About Books - 159 users - 1/3

You're all set.

message 35: by Uday (new)

Uday Kanth (udayk) If on a Winter's Night a Traveler

Can I get approval for this please?

message 36: by Kristina Simon (new)

Uday wrote: "If on a Winter's Night a Traveler

Can I get approval for this please?"

You're good to go!

If on a Winter's Night a Traveler - Books About Books - 63 users - 1/9

message 37: by Kaora (new)

message 38: by Kristina Simon (new)

Allison wrote: "Can I get approval for Off-Topic: The Story of an Internet Revolt?"

Books About Books is there - 8 users - 1/15/14

message 39: by Alison (new)

Alison | 186 comments Can I get approval for Book Of Souls please?

message 40: by Kristina Simon (new)

Alison wrote: "Can I get approval for Book Of Souls please?"

Sure can.

Book Of Souls - Books About Books - 6 users - 2/2

message 41: by Sandi (new)

Sandi Barnes | 529 comments Looking for approval on The Habitation of the Blessed

Thanks!

message 42: by Kristina Simon (new)

Sandi wrote: "Looking for approval on The Habitation of the Blessed

Thanks!"

You got it. The Habitation of the Blessed - Books About Books - 5 users - 2/6