Urban Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
GROUP READ OF THE MONTH--ARCHIVE > What Should UF read in December?

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) | 721 comments Mod
Okay, what are we reading for the last month of 2013? Suggestions, please!

message 2: by Donna (new)

message 3: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) Cursed (Fallen Siren, #1) by S.J. Harper - just released this month and it's the first in a new series (so no series baggage yet, lol).

message 4: by Rich (last edited Nov 15, 2013 11:50AM) (new)

Rich | 3 comments Not sure if any of these qualify as UF but I am gearing up to read these. I really just grabbed them off the shelf as they struck my fancy.

Goldenland Past Dark
by Chandler Klang Smith

The Forbidden Book
by Joscelyn Godwin

After finding The Fallen and Leviathan enjoyable, I am also reading....

Aerie (The Fallen, #3)
by Thomas E. Sniegoski

message 5: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Turner (tashaturner) | 30 comments For something that's fun The Accidental Demon Slayer (Demon Slayer, #1) by Angie Fox

For something more traditionally UF I really enjoyed Blade Song (Colbana Files #1) by J.C. Daniels

message 6: by H.M. (new)

H.M. Jones (HMJonesWrites) | 8 comments Just released this in October, and has had great reviews. I like it, but I'm biased. I'd love to see if other urban fantasy fans feel the same.
H.M. JonesMonochrome

message 7: by H.M. (new)

H.M. Jones (HMJonesWrites) | 8 comments Tasha wrote: "For something that's fun The Accidental Demon Slayer (Demon Slayer, #1) by Angie Fox

For something more traditionally UF I really enjoyed Blade Song (Colbana Files #1) by J.C. Daniels"

this looks good.

message 8: by H.M. (new)

H.M. Jones (HMJonesWrites) | 8 comments Veronica G. wrote: "Cursed (Fallen Siren, #1) by S.J. Harper - just released this month and it's the first in a new series (so no series baggage yet, lol)."

Looks interesting and very cool cover.

message 9: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah Even though I am reading this in another group, I am going to suggest The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker here, because it is an excellent debut novel that I think everyone should know about. It might not be typical Urban Fantasy, but I think it still would qualify for this group. It takes place in New York in 1898 and the leading characters are Golem from Poland and a Jinni from Syria.

message 10: by Bill (last edited Nov 15, 2013 01:05PM) (new)

Bill (reedye) | 46 comments Jalilah, Great suggestion, that's on my TBRS(oon) list.

Can someone answer Veronica G. I'm sure there was such a list somewhere.

message 11: by Shelli (new)

Shelli Jalilah wrote: "Even though I am reading this in another group, I am going to suggest The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker here, because it is an excellent debut novel that I t..."

I read this a few months back and really enjoyed it too.

message 12: by Angela (new)

Angela (benevolentstalker) | 2 comments How about Epic:Legacy by Justin Osbourne? It is a great read. It has some really funny laugh-out-loud moments.

message 13: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Michael | 111 comments Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1) by Ben Aaronovitch I'm not sure this qualifies exactly as urban fantasy, not quite sure what else to call it, but some of you can take a quick look and see what you think. Set in London, police procedural (sort of) with magic plus science and a department that handles the cases with a magic. A touch of magic, a couple of vampires, a troll ... different.

Snarktastic Sonja (snownsew) | 18 comments Sharon wrote: "Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1) by Ben AaronovitchI'm not sure this qualifies exactly as urban fantasy, not quite sure what else to call it, but some of you can take a quick look and see what you think. Set in Lond..."

I just read that one - I would definitely classify it as UF. Just my 2 cents.

message 15: by Shelli (new)

Shelli Sharon wrote: "Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1) by Ben AaronovitchI'm not sure this qualifies exactly as urban fantasy, not quite sure what else to call it, but some of you can take a quick look and see what you think. Set in Lond..."

Loved this one too!!! I've read all of them!

message 16: by Jason (new)

Jason Allen Amelio (jasonallenamelio) | 12 comments Created, the Destroyer

Not normally considered UF but here's the deal. Over the series 150 or so books it develops a mythology all its own.

Long story short Remo Williams unwillingly becomes the next in a long line of assassins who practice Sinanju the sun source from where all other martial arts have sprung from.

During it's run Remo fights primarily other humans but also plenty of undead, vampires, living computers, Gods, genetically cloned just about everything and of course several varities of Nazi's.

Oh, and did I mention that he is the living avatar of the god Shiva, The Destroyer?

The first time I read the Harry Dresden books I liked them so much because they reminded me of this series.

All of this comes with a few warning.
1. The series is very dated and VERY politically incorrect and will not be for everyone.
2. The first book in the series is no where near as cool or as much fun as everything else. The books really start to take off in the late teens and 20's.

You may want to check out my review of the series here to see if you have any further interest!
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 17: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (brandiec) Midnight Riot does look good.

message 18: by Geneva (new)

Geneva Waters | 2 comments I agree with tasha on the "the accidental demon slayer"

message 19: by Geneva (new)

Geneva Waters | 2 comments cursed sounded good that someone posted

message 20: by Brandy (new)

Brandy what about You Suck You Suck by Christopher Moore or SkinwalkerSkinwalker by Faith Hunter?

message 21: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Bice (nocturne4512) | 1 comments Charming by elliott james

message 22: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 367 comments Vamped by David Sosnowski
Vamped by David Sosnowski

message 23: by Ren Puspita (new)

Ren Puspita (renpuspita) Veronica G. wrote: "Cursed (Fallen Siren, #1) by S.J. Harper - just released this month and it's the first in a new series (so no series baggage yet, lol)."

I second this. Have it on my TBR, look good, tho

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

i'm with Veronica on this one.Cursed

sounds great from the reviews.

message 25: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Nassise My latest release from Tor - Watcher of the Dark - comes out next week and is firmly in the UF category.

Watcher of the Dark (Jeremiah Hunt, #3) by Joseph Nassise

message 26: by Anna (new)

Anna | 23 comments Not sure if you could count this as UF but The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1) by Scott Lynch

message 27: by Aïliss (new)

Aïliss (yenoussi) I'm on Cursed too

message 28: by Christine (new)

Christine | 752 comments Charming (Pax Arcana, #1) by Elliott James or The Darwin Elevator (Dire Earth Cycle, #1) by Jason M. Hough

message 29: by Jorg (new)

Jorg Ancrath | 3 comments I am for midnight riot but thats just cauuse I really
want to read anyways.

message 30: by H.M. (new)

H.M. Jones (HMJonesWrites) | 8 comments Joseph wrote: "My latest release from Tor - Watcher of the Dark - comes out next week and is firmly in the UF category.

Watcher of the Dark (Jeremiah Hunt, #3) by Joseph Nassise"

Looks great. Haven't read any of the entries, but I will vote for this one.

message 31: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 1 comments looks good, I've also not read the first one, Eyes to See
Watcher of the Dark (Jeremiah Hunt, #3) by Joseph Nassise Eyes to See (Jeremiah Hunt, #1) by Joseph Nassise

But Cursed looks so fun and sassy!
Cursed (Fallen Siren, #1) by S.J. Harper

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.