Tips for Self Promotion, Sales, and Advertising discussion

Amazon Tips > Regarding Tagging

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by D.B. (new)

D.B. Pacini (DBPacini) Authors,

I’m a little confused about tagging. Will you all please send me an email with the name of your specific book(s) and tell me what you want me to do regarding tagging your books? I tagged one person's book and later couldn't tell that I had done so. How can you tell? I need to figure this out and to do it correctly. Help, LOL.

Thanks,
D.B. Pacini
E-mail: Pacini.Novelist@gmail.com

message 2: by Jaimey (last edited Jun 11, 2009 10:05PM) (new)

Jaimey (jaimeygrant) | 232 comments Hi DB,

If you scroll down the Amazon product page you will see a section just above the reviews called "Tags Customers Associate with This Product." If you have tagged the book, there will be a check mark beside the words/phrases you checked. If you haven't tagged it, the little boxes will be empty. :o)

message 3: by D.B. (new)

D.B. Pacini (DBPacini)

Jaimey,

I’ve done this when I’ve reviewed a book. I didn't know I could do it for books that I have not reviewed. I will check it out. Thanks for your help.

DB

message 4: by G.H. (new)

G.H. Monroe (ghmonroe) | 9 comments I question the value of tagging. I had sold one copy of my book through Amazon before I got involved in tagging. Since then I jumped into tagging and put my book at the top of "Short Fiction", Summer Read", "Summer Reads" and very near the top of "Short Stories" and have not seen a single sale as a result. All of my sales have been as a result of my own social networking marketing efforts and the resulting word of mouth.

message 5: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Hollowell (thomashollowell) | 12 comments I think tagging is valuable in the sense that you can have your book "seen" more if someone searches the groups or discussions involving the tag of your book. This can also help with lists and such, I believe. I am not sure how much it actually helps, but it probably can't hurt. Thanks!

Thomas
Author of Allah's Garden

message 6: by Dr (new)

Dr | 134 comments G.H. wrote: "I question the value of tagging. I had sold one copy of my book through Amazon before I got involved in tagging. Since then I jumped into tagging and put my book at the top of "Short Fiction", Summ..."

Tagging actually slowed down my sales, and thus I stopped, I suspect tagging is like any pyramiding program which benefits those who jump in early. I too have done better with various other methods and like you social networking has done well. There is nothing wrong with helping other authors and of that I approve, as we are all in the same boat, but those of us who have reached the age where writing is very important to our careers, have little time to read hundreds of other books. My hat is off to your honesty.
Dr Robert E McGinnis

message 7: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (debeades) | 1 comments I found no difference whatsoever in tagging on Amazon. Twitter and Facebook have helped me more than anything and I believe that social networking is the way to go for marketing purposes. Even an editor at St. Martin's Press found me that way. It has been a long slow road but I am still climbing.

Dr wrote: "G.H. wrote: "I question the value of tagging. I had sold one copy of my book through Amazon before I got involved in tagging. Since then I jumped into tagging and put my book at the top of "Short F..."

message 8: by David (new)

David Korinetz | 77 comments Tagging on Amazon has not helped my sales at all, but it feels good to see FireDrakes come up with the first 9 books listed under dragons.