The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > Next book to read...

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie (last edited Jun 11, 2009 01:06PM) (new)

Julie M Maioriello (jewelsmm) I'm looking for my next Fiction book to read. Any recommendations? I would love to discover an author I have not read before. Thanks!

message 2: by Felina (new)

Felina If you haven't read Flowers for Algernon I strongly suggest it.

JG (Introverted Reader) What kinds of books do you like to read?

message 4: by Julie (new)

Julie M Maioriello (jewelsmm) No sappy love, romance books. Basically everything else.

JG (Introverted Reader) I checked out your shelves and saw The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society on your to-read shelf. I loved it, so I'd recommend that one next. And it was a group read several months ago, so if you read it, you can check out what everyone else had to say. Most of us liked it.

message 6: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10121 comments Mod
Based on your to-read shelves.... I would say Angel and Demons or As I Lay Dying.

If you are just looking for anything.... check out my far-better-than-most shelf.

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Colony is a great book by Anne Rivers Siddons. Guernsey was terrific as well, and Prodigal Summer A Novel too! They are all in my Top 5.

message 9: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 864 comments Saving Fish from Drowning A Novel by Amy Tan is pretty good. Not quite as good as her other novels but interesting.

message 10: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) I looked at some of your books, too, Julie, and would suggest some earlier works of Terry McMillan: Mama, Disappearing Acts, or A Day Late and A Dollar Short were my favorites of hers.

message 11: by Julie (new)

Julie M Maioriello (jewelsmm) Felina wrote: "If you haven't read Flowers for Algernon I strongly suggest it."

Thanks for the suggestion. I have read Flowers for Algernon many moons ago and it was wonderful.

message 12: by Julie (new)

Julie M Maioriello (jewelsmm) JG wrote: "I checked out your shelves and saw The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society on your to-read shelf. I loved it, so I'd recommend that one next. And it was a group read several months ago,..."

I have so many books on my shelves, that it is so hard to pick which one to read next. Thanks for the suggestion, I think I will read Guernsey next as many others have made the same recommendation.

message 13: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) Since you've read Charlotte Bronte and Jane Austen, I think you'll enjoy Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South. It has some of the P&P elements only set in the first half/mid-19c in the northern, industrial England but it has its merits (it's one of my favourite classics; the BBC adaptation from 2004 was equally superb =D)

message 14: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 271 comments Some of my favorite fiction of the year that you might like include Year of Wonders, Life of Pi, Water for Elephants, and The Blind Assassin.

They all were very well-written and kept me wanting to keep reading and not put them down (and pick them up again quickly if I had to put them down).

I agree with the Guernsey rec and hope you like it!

message 15: by Julie (new)

Julie M Maioriello (jewelsmm) Bonnie wrote: "Some of my favorite fiction of the year that you might like include Year of Wonders, Life of Pi, Water for Elephants, and The Blind Assassin.

Th..."

Thank you for the suggestions. I have read Water for Elephants and enjoyed it very much. I will keep the others as part of my list many reads yet to read!

message 16: by Brenda (last edited Jun 15, 2009 06:46PM) (new)

Brenda | 266 comments I checked your profile and books and my recommendation for you from your to read list would be A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry. I think you will really like his writing. After I read A Fine Balance, I read Family Matters and it was good also.
He is an author worth checking out.

message 17: by Petra (new)

Petra Brenda wrote: "I checked your profile and books and my recommendation for you from your to read list would be A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry. I think you will really like his writing. After I read A Fine Ba..."

I second Brenda's recommendation of A Fine Balance. It was a wonderful book. Also, Bonnie's recommendation of The Blind Assassin, which is a favorite of mine, too.
Other 5 star reads are The Shadow Of The Wind, any Bryce Courtenay book, especially Brother Fish. Also, The Time Traveller's Wife and, if you like Victorian mysteries, The Woman In White.