All About Books discussion

Book Chat > Zines

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amber (new)

Amber (AmberTerminatorofgoodreads) | 3218 comments What do you guys think of zines? What is a zine you ask? They are self-published magazines made by one person or a few individuals. Zines are written in a variety of formats, from computer-printed text to comics to handwritten text (an example being the hardcore punk zine Cometbus). Print remains the most popular zine format, usually photo-copied with a small circulation. Topics covered are broad, including fanfiction, politics, art and design, ephemera, personal journals, social theory, single topic obsession, or sexual content far enough outside of the mainstream to be prohibitive of inclusion in more traditional media. The time and materials necessary to create a zine are seldom matched by revenue from sale of zines. They are also distributed for free through libraries, sold, and can be given as gifts. So my question to everyone is, what do you think of zines and have you ever read one? My local library has their very own zine collection which is the first of its kind in Tennessee and they even host workshops in the Summer teaching kids and teens how to make their own. I thought that was cool.

message 2: by Amber (new)

Amber (AmberTerminatorofgoodreads) | 3218 comments So have you guys ever read a zine or seen a collection of zines in your local library? they are just magazines people make themselves.

message 3: by Portia (new)

Portia | 185 comments Amber, back in the 1970s, when I went through my Star Trek phase, I read some by a group who called themselves The Delta Triad. After I drifted away from fandom, though, I lost tough with the writers. The style was pastiche and that's not my favorite.

message 4: by Amber (new)

Amber (AmberTerminatorofgoodreads) | 3218 comments Oh I'm sorry Portia. This format is making a comeback now and it doesn't have to be fandom based. They have DIY ones and more. I even have a friend who made one that is all on independent horror and other things. They even have some that people write poetry in and stuff. I thought it was cool and am thinking of making one either for my family for Christmas or for a friend as a Christmas gift like either with my favorite recipes in it or stories or something.

message 5: by Portia (new)

Portia | 185 comments Yes, your plan certainly does sound better than the zines I remember. Can you believe that back them we had to pass well-worn hard copies around? No Internet!

message 6: by Amber (new)

Amber (AmberTerminatorofgoodreads) | 3218 comments That's very interesting Portia. It's very different now and they are very easy to make. You can do it with a typewriter too or with Pen and paper or use a word processor program for it like word pad or microsoft word on your computer. You don't even need the internet for it unless you plan to put pictures in them. and if you want to make copies, you can go to go to a photocopier and do it. A bunch of libraries around the US carry zines now and my local library is the first in Tennessee to have a zine collection that others can borrow and return like a regular book.

message 7: by Portia (new)

Portia | 185 comments You know, Amber, zines sound very similar to scrapbooking. I know a lot of people had great fun with that, both the creators and the receivers. It's so nice to have someone take the time to highlight a special time in your life.

Zines sound just as wonderful, so enjoy!

message 8: by Amber (new)

Amber (AmberTerminatorofgoodreads) | 3218 comments I just wanted to highlight this topic because there are not many zine groups on goodreads and it is a underrepresented medium that is slowly coming back to new generations. Thanks Portia! :)

message 9: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 3904 comments I haven't heard of zines, Amber!

message 10: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (LauraTa) | 9918 comments We have zines in Italy, but I have to admit I've necer read one!

message 11: by Amber (new)

Amber (AmberTerminatorofgoodreads) | 3218 comments You should. They are pretty cool laurat and zines are selfpublished magazines shirley.

unread topics | mark unread