Writer's Paradise discussion

Prompts > The window through which we look

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by F.D. (new)

F.D. Crandall (fdcrandall) | 12 comments Here's a little tidbit I got in my e-mail this morning. I think it's perfect.

A young couple moved into a new neighborhood. The next morning while they were eating breakfast, the young woman saw her neighbor hanging the wash outside.

"That laundry is not very clean," she said. "She doesn't know how to wash correctly. Perhaps she needs better laundry soap."

Her husband looked on, but remained silent.

Every time her neighbor would hang her wash to dry, the young woman would make the same comments.

About one month later, the woman was surprised to see a nice clean wash on the line and said to her husband, "Look, she has learned how to wash correctly. I wonder who taught her this."

The husband said, "I got up early this morning and cleaned our windows."

And so it is with life. What we see when watching others depends on the purity of the window through which we look.

Very cool message, I think...

message 2: by Rita (new)

Rita Webb (ritawebb) Thanks, FD. I like that.

message 3: by Veronica, Bigfoot makes an excellent character (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) | 727 comments Mod
I'm moving this to the prompts folder. If somebody wants to, I'd say it could be great inspiration

message 4: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin Wow, this is a really cool message! It's so true. :D

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

awesome!

message 6: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller | 4362 comments LOL Cool!

message 7: by Marley (new)

Marley (Marleyme95) | 977 comments Wow....sweet...

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

My dad tell always tells me that god never closes a door without opening another, and what you do in that room is up to you. The window story made me think of that.

message 9: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) Look what I found again!

I have a more topical version of the story:

A young couple moved into a new neighborhood. The next morning while they were eating breakfast, the young woman saw her neighbor hanging the wash outside.

"There sure are a lot of Hispanics in this neighborhood," she said. "America is just turning into another Mexico."

Her husband looked on, but remained silent.

Every time her neighbors would come outside, the young woman would make the same comments.

About one month later, the woman was surprised to see a Caucasian family leaving their home to their minivan and said to her husband, "Look, a nice white family has moved in, our kids will finally have someone to play with."

The husband said, "I got up early this morning and cleaned our windows."

And so it is with life. What we see when watching others depends on the purity of the window through which we look.