BookMooch discussion

When do you post

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 35 comments that a certain book is available? When you start reading it; 1/2 way through the book? I tend to post when I'm 1/2 way through the book; although the last book I posted, it was mooched when I first started reading it!! I liked that!!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't post books until I am done reading them. If I post before I am done reading I would worry that someone would want the book before I am done with it.

message 3: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 35 comments I was wondering about this because when I requested a book, they said that would be a 2 week wait!

message 4: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) I just got the same notification today matter of fact. I always wait until I'm finished unless it's for a friend or something and they already know. Sometimes I'll list it early then just to save time when I am finished.
Hey- one time I got the notification and it said 4 MONTHS! I thought it was a mistake and it wasn't. She said she just started it. I wanted to get a little rude and ask her why in the world she would list it before she finished- especially if she expected it to take more than a few days but it was one I wanted pretty bad. I still haven't even readit of course. LOL

message 5: by Robert (new)

Robert (redwingsbob) I have a routine. As soon as i finish a book, i take a moment to reflect. Then i slowly choose my next read out of the (literally) hundreds of waiting to be read books on my shelf. Then I log in and update my goodreads, and then list it on bookmooch. Every now and then i will wait, if i have too many unused points for example, then i will try to use them up and then list a whole bunch at once.

message 6: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 35 comments My mom & I read the same books too. But lately, if it has ANYTHING sexual in it, she lets me know & goes on and on how they didn't need to put that stuff in there. She has also started to go to a book club in her neighborhood. If I know that she won't read it, it gets posted on bookmooch.

message 7: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) That's so funny! Me and my mom don't read too many of the same books and she reads way slow for me anyway! I gave her My Lobotomy like two months ago and I still don't have it back yet! LOL

message 8: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 35 comments Did you read The Faraday Girls A Novel? Great book. Loved it. Anyway, I thought mom would like it since we knew a family whose last name was Faraday. Well, while reading it, I knew this book wasn't for mom.
So, off it went to another house where I knew it would be appreciated.

message 9: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) That is so funny. I don't have that problem with my mom- yet. But then again, there's usually nothing much in what her and I do share. I have some I definitely wouldn't be passing on to her!
Hey- I can't even watch The Sopranos in comfort with my dad! LOL

message 10: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 35 comments you know????? I've never watched that show!

message 11: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 35 comments She is into spiritual books right now. The other day, she asked me if I read any & I was telling her about The Shack. Now, she wants to read it. I hope that she likes it because if she doesn't, I don't wanna hear about it.
I saw The Compass movie but didn't read it. But, my sister & mom say it goes against the Church's teachings. WHAT?? I didn't get that theme at all. SEE? I just don't wanna hear about those things. If I enjoyed it, let me be. See? I couldn't be a critic,lol.

message 12: by Bree (new)

Bree (coffeebeanbookshelf) I wait until I've finished reading it, usually. The only exception is if I need a couple of points to get a book I really want, lol...then I'll list it before I start reading (BUT, I read quickly and I only mail out on paydays, so it works).

message 13: by Mel (new)

Mel (lefty4) | 4 comments Hi Gang-

I take say to myself 3 stars or better is a keeper. Less than 3 stars gets posted. However, I know I have change my mind about something then I post the minute I changed my mind the second time. Also I post on all the sites that I am members of and the first person to order a book from me at any of the sites gets it and then it gets deleted from the other sites I am a member of.

message 14: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) Suzanne wrote: "you know????? I've never watched that show!"

Well for the love of God- DO NOT watch it with your mom. Let's just say Tony likes his sex and not just your usual missionary style. I almost fell off the couch when an episode came on with some Tony sex in it. I left the room. LOL

message 15: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) Mel wrote: "Hi Gang-

I take say to myself 3 stars or better is a keeper. Less than 3 stars gets posted. However, I know I have change my mind about something then I post the minute I changed my mind the s..."

I used to kind of have the same rule before I started running out of room. I only have about 10 "keepers" right now- the rest are to-read and listed on BM & PBS. I just don't have the room. Plus I figured since I don't reread too often I'd rather use the room for to-read books than ones I probably won't ever get to. Although I'll probably have to live to 110 to get all these done.....LOL

message 16: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Mel wrote: "Hi Gang-

I take say to myself 3 stars or better is a keeper. Less than 3 stars gets posted. However, I know I have change my mind about something then I post the minute I changed my mind the s..."

I agree with you. I have not much room for books thus I love BM so much. Too bad there aren't many BMers in my country now.

To answer the question in the first post, I posted books in my inventory only if I've read them OR I'm convinced that I'll never read them.

message 17: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) Crystal wrote: "The only time I keep a book is when it's one that I've 'fallen in love with' something that I could possibly read 7 or 8 times and not get sick of, or it's a really good reference book.

Everything..."

That's exactly what I do, excluding kids books for my daughter. I have almost a thousand to-read books here and then hundreds of listed books that I've read or don't want to read and gobs more books to-read that I don't own and out of all of those- I have LESS than 10 books I want to keep. Actually, no, I have less than 20 books that are keepers I think. The first number wasn't counting my Picoult collection! LOL

message 18: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) It's a curse as well as a blessing. I usually have a tough time picking something to read and it leads even more to obsession. You would think it'd be easier but it's not. And it's hard to keep track of, even with a site like this- I find myself ordering something I already have, etc. LOL
But I guess I love it still! LOL

message 19: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) Oooooh- I can so see myself doing that! Thanks for sharing that Crystal!
I think my only problem is I'm a bit OCD and I have all mine in alphabetical order. All of them. LOL I put the new ones in order as soon as they come in, even when that changes the stacks next to them due to lack of room. But I can't help it.
I was just looking at the way we can change our lists here in the 'my books' section and we can have it sorted by 'date added'. I just looked and it doesn't look right to me but I'm sure it is. I'm sure it's right and I'm just not remembering correctly. I was thinking about pulling from there every so often. I have so many that are wishlisted places that I want to share that I need to get to!

message 20: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) I was going to come here anyway because I can't remember who I was talking to but in case it was someone here. I was talking to someone who mentioned they wish they could see what number their book was when listed. Like, is it worth listing this (this is on PBS by the way) because there may be hundreds in front of me.
I just figured something out about that. If you list the book, then add it to your reminder page (if it lets you, I haven't tried it but I would think we'd be allowed) then it'll tell you the number of copies available. Then you'll see if it's "worth" it or not. I probably won't use it because I keep a lot listed usually but for someone who donates books a lot, like the person I was talking to, this could possibly help?

message 21: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) When I think about it again, actually there are several books with 3 to 4 stars but I don't think I want to read them again, hence moochable. You must know what I mean, right? Especially for those "heavy" books, no pun intended.

message 22: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) I know what you mean- I barely even keep a five star book anymore. I used to keep all my books almost but then as I got so many to-read books I started running out of room.

message 23: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) I re-mooch nearly all the books I mooch. I post as soon as I finish reading and write my review. The only exception is if the book is a "book of the month" selection for a GoodReads group and I need to hang on to it to refer during discussions.

message 24: by Cameron (new)

Cameron (220340) | 30 comments i mostly post things at bedtime