European Royalty discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
European Royalty Nominations > Jul 15 - Aug 15: Nominating - NEW THEME

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara W (last edited Jun 11, 2009 12:54PM) (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Okay, this will be the first nominating thread setting up our European Royalty read earlier than usual. The next nominating thread will be a full month earlier than usual.

***ANYTHING GOES - EUROPEAN ROYALTY OF COURSE (I had picked Eastern European Royalty including Austria, but there seems to be few books in print or easily available)***

***ANY COUNTRY, ANY TIME PERIOD, FICTION OR NON-FICTION***

Okay everyone, it's that time of the month - time to nominate! Anyone who would like to nominate ONE book may do so in this thread.

The theme this month is ANYTHING GOES - EUROPEAN ROYALTY OF COURSE. Go nuts all you Tudor loving people! The theme I had picked was just too limited once I checked out Amazon, so this month, ANYTHING GOES.

Please try to check amazon or some other site to make sure the book is easily available - the last thing we want is to nominate some great book that no one can get! If you nominate more than ONE book, only the first book listed will make it into the voting thread (so save additional books for the next months!). Also, if the book doesn't fit the theme, I won't add it to this month's voting list, but I will carry it over to the next theme that it does fit under if you would like.

Feel free to nominate one book of your choice in this thread until June 15th, 9pm Eastern.

At around that time, I'll make a voting poll and list all the nominated books in it, and people can vote in the poll until the poll closes (set to last through June 19th). Discussion will start on July 15th.

Happy Nominating!

message 2: by Sara W (last edited Jun 10, 2009 04:28PM) (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments I nominate The Elusive Empress by Ann Nibbs.

I know nothing about this author, book or subject matter, but it seems interesting. It seems to be about Katharina Schratt who was a long-time mistress of Emperor Franz Joseph of Austria or Empress Elisabeth his wife; I'm not sure which one. Either way seems fun!

message 3: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Aah, according to the author's website, the focus is on Empress Elisabeth, although Katharina Schratt is in the novel.

message 4: by Sara W (last edited Jun 11, 2009 12:04PM) (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Alright, we can throw GERMANY into the mix. Anyone ... anyone? As long as they start or end up in one of these countries, it's okay, so all you Marie Antoinette fans can throw in a book on her as long as part of her childhood is covered.

message 5: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 696 comments Lol, I didn't realize how bare the nominations were. I can't think of a thing, at least involving royalty and/or is easy to purchase and involves ROYALTY.

There's always Doctor Zhivago (sp?) at least it's Russia. Wasn't there some bio in the least year or so on Catherine the Great?

message 6: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Yeah, we read the non-fiction Catherine the Great one that came out. It was good. I didn't realize how hard it would be either. When I used Austria/Germany as a topic a while ago (six months?), there were at least a couple Austrian titles available, and now all of those are out of print.

Alright, I think I'll just make it an anything-goes month. :) Easier than throwing in more countries!

message 7: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 83 comments The Conqueror by Georgette Heyer The Conqueror by Georgette Heyer!

message 8: by Connie (new)

Connie (boleynfan) | 17 comments How about Prince Rupert: The Last Cavalier by Charles Spencer. He is, after all, "of the Rhine". Very, very interesting man. And handsome too!

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan (boswellbaxter) | 96 comments Mistress of the Sun by Sandra Gulland, since I'm finally going to have a chance to read it! Mistress of the Sun A Novel by Sandra Gulland

message 11: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Susanna wrote: "The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara The Killer Angels, by Michael Shaara."

Susanna, is it alright if I include this book in the United States history read instead? I wanted to limit this read to European Royalty. I should have made the "any country" say "any European country", so that's my bad! You can certainly nominate a different book here if you'd like (and I'll still include The Killer Angels in the other nominating thread). Thanks! Sorry for the confusion. :)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 378 comments Sure, that's fine - I'd rather nominate that in that category than the book I nominated there! (If that makes sense.) I thought of The Killer Angels later.

message 13: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Susanna wrote: "Sure, that's fine - I'd rather nominate that in that category than the book I nominated there! (If that makes sense.) I thought of The Killer Angels later."

I haven't nominated anything in that thread, so I'll just nominate The Killer Angels under my name (since it really doesn't make a difference, and I kind of liked the Ben Franklin book you nominated before, so if you switched them I would probably nominate that one :) ).

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 378 comments Sure, that's fine.

message 15: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Nominating is closed! Time to vote!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.