Christian Historical Fiction discussion

What CHF is in your TBR pile?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 395 comments Mod
What books do you currently own that are Christian Historical Fiction that you plan to read soon? What are some on your to-buy list?

message 2: by Margaret (last edited Jun 09, 2009 12:10PM) (new)

A Dream to Call My Own (The Brides of Gallatin County, Book #3) by Tracie Peterson How Do I Love Thee? (Ladies of History, book #4) by Nancy Moser Love's Pursuit by Siri L. Mitchell Paper Roses (Texas Dreams Trilogy #1) by Amanda Cabot Look to the East (The Great War, #1) by Maureen Lang [image error] City of the Dead by T.L. Higley Stealing Home A Novel by Allison K. Pittman [image error] Where the Heart Leads by Kim Vogel Sawyer Until We Reach Home by Lynn Austin A Proper Pursuit by Lynn Austin Outlaw Marshal (Return of the Stranger, Book #1) by Al Lacy Chasing Charity (Texas Fortunes Trilogy, Book 2) by Marcia Gruver The Edge of Light (At Home in Beldon Grove) by Ann Shorey The Inheritance by Tamera Alexander [image error] Wind Dancer by Jamie Carie The Redemption (Legacy of the King's Pirates #1) by M.L. Tyndall My Heart Remembers by Kim Vogel Sawyer

These are just a few that are on my shelf calling to me... telling me to read faster.

message 3: by Margaret (new)

The ones you listed that are not out yet, are also on my TBR list!! Hopefully to be in my pile too. hehe

I'm really looking forward to those you read and liked. Maybe next week...

message 4: by Margaret (new)

Kate, looking at your pile, I'm just not in an Amish mood this year. I wonder why... I'll definitely read Cindy Woodsmall, but that's different... I'm also really looking forward to getting my hands on Kathleen Y'Barbo's book too..

The Princess by Lori Wick is good. I hope you like it.

I have started A Claim of Her Own, and it has not pulled me in, but then other things are begging to be read at the same time which causes distraction when a book is good, but not fabulous.

message 5: by Margaret (new)

I have read some Amish fiction that I really liked. Then there has been some other that is just depressing or the writing was awful. It also amazes me that most of the stories are written by authors who have not a clue about the literal culture and therefore can sometimes write from a judgmental stature. NOT ALL! Just some. Have you read Shelley Shepard Gray? I really like her Amish fiction, the third in her first series is coming out soon.

The Princess is not historical, but in a way it is. It is definitely not fully contemporary, but to my mind more of a fantasy kingdom type... but then maybe that's just me.

message 6: by Margaret (new)

Hidden
Wanted
Forgiven

The boyfriend is a uncomfortable person, but the love and the overall telling is incredible. I think you could easily handle it. Beverly Lewis and Wanda Brunstetter have had much more unsettling plots than these.

message 7: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (mamallama) | 7 comments I am requesting that my library purhcase A Mending at the Edge because they don't have it in their catalog. They have the first 2 books of the series which I've read, but not the third. I hope they'll order it.

message 8: by Margaret (new)

I think it is that Sisters of Holmes County that has turned me off of Amish Fiction for a while. They were not well written. The characters were battered and abused and some of the assumptions made about the Amish community as a whole were shocking for someone who wants to write about a community such as theirs. There was hardly one person that was a "Jesus like" person and that bugged me. Also, the way they ended it was not a stopping point to make you crave the next book it was, I have read all this fluff and they just stopped here so that they could make a next book, Ugh what gives!

That and the most recent "The Secret" from Beverly Lewis, that was uncomfortable too.

message 9: by Jennifer (last edited Jun 18, 2009 07:56AM) (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 313 comments I love Beverly Lewis! She's one of the lighter amish reads out there. I would have to agree about the Holmes County books. It kinda turned me off to Amish reading for a bit. I thought it wasn't written well either. Here's my list:Just Jane A Novel of Jane Austens Life, Mozart's Sister, Washington's Lady, How Do I Love Thee?, Puritans, The Patriots, The Colonists, The Adversaries, The Allies, The Pioneers, The Peacemakers, Above All Earthly Powers

message 10: by Margaret (new)

I like Nancy Moser too, and plan to read How Do I Love Thee? soon. I have Just Jane, but have not yet read her other two.

I have yet to read Jack Cavanaugh...

message 11: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) | 114 comments Jennifer, I love Beverly Lewis' books! Her Amish books are the only Amish books that I've read. Like Margaret mentioned, "The Secret" has some depressing stuff in it. In my point of view, there was enough happy moments in the story for me, and the book did end on a somewhat hopeful feeling, but it is definitely more bittersweet than her other books.

Margaret, I want to read "How Do I Love Thee", too! Nancy Moser seems like a good author. I've actually only read "Mozart's Sister", but I enjoyed it and want to read "Just Jane" and the one about Martha Washington. Cool stuff! :-)

message 12: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) | 114 comments I do not own a copy of any of these books, but here's some of the Christian historical fiction on my to read list. :-)

A Voice in the Wind (Mark of the Lion Series #1) by Francine Rivers A Lady of Secret Devotion (Ladies of Liberty #3) by Tracie Peterson A Passion Most Pure (Daughters of Boston, Book 1) by Julie Lessman The Falcon and The Sparrow by M.L. Tyndall Bachelors Puzzle (Patchwork Circle) by Judith Pella Lady of Milkweed Manor by Julie Klassen First Light (A. D. Chronicles #1) by Bodie Thoene The Indentured Heart 1740 (The House of Winslow) by Gilbert Morris All the Tea in China (Rollicking Regency, A) by Jane Orcutt The Affectionate Adversary by Catherine Palmer

message 13: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) | 114 comments Kate, I hope that I will enjoy the Bachelor's Puzzle, too! I forgot to mention that I own a copy of that book, because someone from my church gave my family a lot of Christian fiction. The description of the book sounded really interesting, so that's why I'd love to read it sometime. :-)

I'm sure that A Lady of Secret Devotion will be great, because I have read the first two books in that series, and they were good! I'll make sure to let you know my opinion on any of those books that I mentioned earlier once I finish reading them! :-)

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 313 comments Margaret, I got stuck on Jack Cavanaugh with his Songs of the Night series...I've read the first two and I need to read the third. I love stories about WWI and WWII. His American Family series goes through every decade up to the 90's i believe( they usually have a war that happened during the decade to go along the storyline)
Kate, I figured you would enjoy the Hawk and the Jewel. You'll end up loving the whole series! But, I think that book is my favorite out of the Kingsington Chronicle series.

message 15: by Margaret (new)

I have not read a book in two weeks! DH being home is really biting into my reading. I just keep giving him my attention. Like I like him or something... lol 6 wks or so until Baby girl arrives, so hopefully I can get some reading in before then!!

Working on Paper Roses

message 16: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) | 114 comments I haven't finished any of the books that I listed in this topic, but I did read some of "The Falcon & the Sparrow". I like it so far. :-)

I'd love to read some of Ms. Hake's books! I haven't read any of her titles yet.

message 17: by Margaret (new)

I loved The Falcon and The Sparrow! Some of CMH I like, some I just do not. I am borrowing a copy of The Inheritance, but have not gotten to it yet. I also have A Dream to Call My Own sitting here waiting for me.

I have veered from my list a bit, but they are still desired. I just have to follow along and attempt to get ahead with my scheduled blog tours before this baby arrives!!

I'm currently reading Ransome's Honor.

message 18: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) | 114 comments Ransome's Honor sounds interesting, Margaret! do you like it so far?

message 19: by Margaret (new)

So far I'm only in the second chapter and it's dreamy!! It is a Jane Austen Persuasion type story, but different. It is regency time period and I'm already guessing at some of the whys of character behavior and cannot wait to find out more.

message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 313 comments Kate wrote: "Margaret wrote: "Kate, looking at your pile, I'm just not in an Amish mood this year. I wonder why... I'll definitely read Cindy Woodsmall, but that's different... I'm also really looking forward t..."

Too bad, the whole series is good, but like I said. The first one would be your favorite out of all of them. No offense taken! I just finished Love Finds You in Liberty, Indiana and loved it. Starting on my Nancy Moser books....Jane Austen is first since I love her. :D

message 21: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 313 comments You'll like the Maryland Brides book. I've read it. Definitley your style. Don't worry, I won't quit recommending books! :D

message 22: by Margaret (new)

Due August 15th. OB appt went well today, kept hearing "that's normal" to all my questions and queries. No dilation yet, and head is down, so she's getting ready!

I've been reading Ransome's Honor today and hardly able to put it down, about to go back to it. So far highly recommended! Kate and Jennifer, you'd both love it! Review to come soon!

message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 313 comments I read the same author...but different book. Her contemporary one called Stand in Groom and loved it. I'm sure I'll like this one too.

message 24: by Margaret (new)

[image error] Ransome's Honor by Kaye Dacus

The Ransome Trilogy from exciting new author Kaye Dacus combines the wit, romance, and social commentary of Jane Austen with the sea-faring adventure of Horatio Hornblower.

July 1814. The war with France has ended, and Captain William Ransome, known for never letting women aboard his ship, has returned to Portsmouth, England. Julia Witherington, considered an old-maid at 29, discovers that she must marry immediately to receive a large dowry. Julia knows that the only man she doesn’t want to marry is William Ransome. And the only man her father will approve of is…William Ransome.

When the couple strikes a financial deal to feign marriage for one year, the adventure begins. These stubborn people face humorous and hard situations that reveal what else they have in common—a growing affection for one another. This intriguing tale of faith and loyalty is a wonderful new offering for readers of all genres.

My review
rating: 5 of 5 stars
Oh my! This is the best book that I have read in a while with no exaggeration. In a way it is Persuasion with some Pride and Prejudice as well as a bit of Sense and Sensibility put within. Action, adventure, intrigue, romance, rescue, and true love, edge of the seat, page turning, not able to read fast enough thrills throughout. This novel has all of the great qualities of a fabulous read and reminds me of other stories I have read and loved. Without a doubt this is one for the permanent keeper shelf and I cannot wait for more from the series. This is my first Kaye Dacus, but not my last. I plan to read some of her contemporary series next.

As far as a recommendation for who would like this book... Well it's regency, and deals with the King's Navy. I would relate the adventure and feeling of reading that that of when I read a book by MaryLu Tyndall or Kathleen Y'Barbo. In my opinion, set some time aside when you plan to start this book, because you will be in pain to attempt to set it down and walk away from what happens next! Highly recommended!!!

View all my reviews.

Oh and Jennifer, I have and />Stand-In Groom and Menu for Romance sitting on my bedside table waiting to be read next!

message 25: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 313 comments oooooo I need to go buy that and Menu for Romance! I get paid tomorrow!

message 26: by Margaret (new)

Well worth it!!

message 27: by Margaret (last edited Jul 10, 2009 10:09AM) (new)

Here's the first chapter of Ransome's Honor FYI.

http://cherryblossommj.blogspot.com/2...

message 28: by Margaret (new)

not a problem. I just finished reading her contemporary Stand-In Groom. It was good too.