Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > Why Are Rain And Storms So Cool?

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Last night a HUGE, wall-rattling storm passed through southeastern Wisconsin. I was up, so I sat out back under the rather rickety gazebo and watched the rain.

Why is it that rain and storms seem to lower some people's (like mine) blood pressure? Why do some storms scare people? What is it about rain and storms that seems to imply rebirth (at least to me)?What do you think about rain and storms?

message 2: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) I like the constant drizzle and clack of raindrops on the roof. The slow rising rumble of thunder and the flash of lightning cause my heart to slighty race and then be at peace again. I love to get a bubble bath going, light candles, close my eyes and listen.

In fact, if I am having a terrible time sleeping I have a couple of 30 minute mp3 tracks dedicated to thunderstorms to calm me enough for sleep.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments It rains here in the northwest a lot, but it doesn't storm with the thunder and lightning hardly ever. We have really boring rain.
The last time we DID get lightning, it fried my VCR.

message 4: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) We had storms here last night, too. Very loud. I like that, too. It's like Nature has a booming voice.

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments God didn't make the little green apples and it don't rain in Indianapolis in the summertime

message 6: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments Rainy/humid weather causes my joints to hurt.

message 7: by Nuri (last edited Jun 08, 2009 08:47PM) (new)

Nuri (nools) | 538 comments There is something joyful about storms that interrupt routine. Snow or freezing rain suddenly releases you from expectations, performance demands, and the tyranny of appointments and schedules. And unlike illness, it is largely a corporate rather than individual experience. One can almost hear a unified sigh rise from the nearby city and surrounding countryside where Nature has intervened to give respite to the weary humans slogging it out within her purview. All those affected this way are united by a mutual excuse, and the heart is suddenly and unexpectedly a little giddy. There will be no apologies needed for not showing up to some commitment or other. Everyone understands and shares in this singular justification, and the sudden alleviation of the pressure to produce makes the heart merry.

From The Shack by William Young.

I really like storms. I fiercely love high winds and lightning and thunder and raucously percussive rain (the last three when I am indoors, mostly). Maybe it's because I grew up in LA, where we don't really have weather, just sun and clouds and the occasional drizzle. There is something releasing and majestic about weather. It is a divine sort of thing, maybe, being so beyond our control (yes, I hear you, Global Warming, but for the most part...). I love that it is shared, and I love that it is so much bigger than me. I especially like that it has never inconvenienced me much more than soggy pants-hems on the way to class. :D;

Also: Grandpa Matt feels the weather in his bones. : )

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments excellent book Nools!

message 9: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Also: Grandpa Matt feels the weather in his bones.

Hee!

message 10: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Love that Nools! It describes it so well.
I always feel that it is a primal harkening back to our elemental foundation, as if there is something literally inside each cell that remembers being part and parcel to the emotive winds. It feels like a dangerous freedom, that explosion of all elements at once flashing their chaotic dance with a heart-pumping rumble you feel through teeth and bones.

We had one of those the other night, with one that was so loud & bright & close that I thought it was a transformer exploding outside our house. It's true that we usually don't have these up here, I don't really remember any growing up, but lately they've been bowling in the sky so much that it makes me wonder just what's up.

I love it though. I can absolutely feel the energy & power running rampant. RA, that's exactly what I like to do during a thunderstorm as well. How can you not be witness to the best show on Earth? She may get offended if we don't appreciate it! ;)

message 11: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments I've always known that I'm an 85-year-old man trapped in the body of a 19-year-old.

message 12: by Heidi (last edited Jun 09, 2009 07:12AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments HA! ^

Growing up around N'awlins, I can say we spent as much time playing outside in the rain and stormy weather (if there was lightning, we were likely playing in my friend's garage with the door raised, occasionally darting outside on a dare) as we did in the sunny weather. Since it's below sea level, it wasn't unusual for flash flooding to occur. We'd pull out the pool toys and float toys and float through the streets because they were undriveable.

I still love to play and romp around in the rain. Aside from the soothing sounds, it feels soothing when it touches the skin... like little kisses. I don't mean that in a dirty bird kind of way, either.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I love watching storms, and I have excellent childhood memories of reading at our summer cabin while the rain fell on the tin roof.

Not so enthusiastic about the afternoon thunderstorm-and-hail forecasts for the rest of this week. I'm suppposed to be riding a friend's horse while she's away, and he lives outdoors right now since he kicked down his stall door. I don't mind riding in the indoor ring in the rain, but climbing up the hill to get him in a storm seems like a bad idea. He has actually been hit by lightning once several years ago.

message 14: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments So, once again we've had a storm blow through, this time with huge hailstones. Most of it was nearer to Portland, though. And then within an hour we'll get sunshine. HUH?

I'm feeling a bit like Alice in Wonderland... where is all this schizo-weather coming from? Are you Mid-Westerners sending this our way?

message 15: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments raining again today. imagine that. i play softball on Wednesday nights and we have been rained out 4 of the last 5 Wednesday's and it is starting already here.

message 16: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
Rain, Rain, Rain. So much rain. It's great and all, things are green woot woot, but c'mon already! I miss the sun!

message 17: by Sally, la reina (new)

*writhes*

Coloradoans are somewhat akin to succulents. We only need about one day of rain a month or else we sulk.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

::doing a no rain in Colorado happy dance, and boy is it not pretty::

message 19: by Heidi (last edited Jun 10, 2009 08:44AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments It's supposed to rain today (YAY!). I looove it when it rains here during the summertime. BECAUSE, when it's raining, the mosquitos are absent. I just don't like it when the rain stops because then they come back in hordes. Meanass bitey bugs. Plus, the rain cools everything off, so long as the humidity doesn't linger. Sometimes it does, though.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments We've been having giant thunderstorms every evening this week. It's interfering with my getting to the barn, but it's actually helping our backyard get finished, since we know how much has to get done before the clouds roll in every day.

message 21: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) Rain rain go away...it's been raining *thankfully* after I get home from work. But GEEZ every night.

message 22: by Sally, la reina (new)

Yes, same here. I don't really have to water the garden much, and thus I feel like a guilty gardener.

message 23: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments I sat outside tonight listening to the rumbling gods playing pinball & such. It was warm & a bit muggy, and the rain was just a little tinkle here & there, so it was nice to actually be able to sit in it and watch for stray lightning in the distance. I'm pretty much enjoying these frequent but bizarre weather storms, they're a treat up here where we never get them.

message 24: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) God sure stayed up late bowling last night. *giggles* As a kid, I was told thunderstorms meant that God was bowling. The rumble was the ball down the lane. The crack of lightning was when he got a strike.

message 25: by Sally, la reina (new)

We drove back to FoCo from Denver last night around 10:30 and there was an awesome thunderstorm broiling up around Cheyenne or Sterling. Lightning crackled on the horizon for the whole hour-long drive. It provided a nice visual diversion from the boring straight drive up 287.

message 26: by Sally, la reina (new)

I'm going to go ahead and add:

"broiling" is a good word,

if I do say so myself.

message 27: by Sally, la reina (new)

Would you like a cup of lemon tea toast to that, Bun?

message 28: by Sally, la reina (new)

Mmmm. I once had a roommate who was big into the peppermnit tea. I've never much felt motivated to make it myself, but when she'd offer it to me I'd enjoy.

Sounds good.

message 29: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) There was a huge, very windy t-storm that opened up on me as I drove south out of Chicago early this morning. The lightning at times looked like this:

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Wow.

message 31: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (luvrdn) | 501 comments Pretty.
Rain storms are so refreshing, with a little thunder rolling across the sky, just a little wind to chase the stagnent air away. Rain that's dancing across the roof not to hard.oops... I gotta go find my husband.
Happy thoughts.

message 32: by Sally, la reina (new)

Photobucket

Photobucket

weather

message 33: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (luvrdn) | 501 comments awesome rainbow

message 34: by Sally, la reina (new)

Photobucket

message 35: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (luvrdn) | 501 comments face in the clouds?
awesome pawsome

message 36: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (luvrdn) | 501 comments that was my daughter, I see no facein thecloud

message 37: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (luvrdn) | 501 comments We had some really loud thunder in K.C. last night, it was just awesome

message 38: by TxLadyForever (new)

TxLadyForever | 190 comments rain (???) - storms (???) - ummmm not sure I remember what that would be! It is so dry here the clay has turned into dirt!

of course it it does rain will be a hurricane ugggggggg....

message 39: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (luvrdn) | 501 comments I need to mow but the heat index is over ahundred and the humidity is like being in a steam room. my poor hubby was suffering with the heat and his cast and driving around to Dr. yesterday.I am chilling in my A/C for the day.