The Classics discussion

A Separate Peace > Chapters 1-4

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by theduckthief (new)

theduckthief | 269 comments Mod
For discussion of the beginning.

Sorry this is so late guys. I haven't had access to the net in a few days.

message 2: by theduckthief (new)

I like the ominous introduction mentioning a "violent death". This isn't going to be your typical book.

I believe this book is going to have more in common with "Lord of the Flies" than "Tom Brown". Although I have to say I thoroughly disliked "Flies".

Besides, Gene seems to have this jealous streak running through him about Finney. He keeps passing it off as nothing though.

message 3: by Apokripos (new)

Apokripos (apokalypse) A Separate Peace is one of the best coming-of-age book I had...
I liked how Knowles started the first chapter for there he had already set the mood and themes of the book...
I find all the elements of this book in fine balance and harmony with each other...
Definitely one of Knowles's best...

message 4: by Rowan (new)

Rowan (rowanhastings) | 4 comments I'm on the other side of the fence, I have just started chapter 4 but I find the novel is not gripping my interest very well. I am hoping that the story picks up soon.

message 5: by Harrison (last edited Jun 21, 2009 12:43PM) (new)

Harrison (hdallen) | 8 comments I actually found the characterization in this story to be extremely well done. I got the feeling that if I had been under the same circumstances as Gene, I would've acted the same way. Whether or not his is true, the very fact the I feel this way says something about the realism

message 6: by theduckthief (new)

I agree about the characterization and how tiny feelings of guilt and jealousy keep creeping into his thoughts. Most of the time though, I kept thinking of the boys as being younger (around 12-14) rather than 16-17.

message 7: by Harrison (new)

Harrison (hdallen) | 8 comments i felt the exact same way. I had trouble believing this wasn't some boys boarding school. Even still, 16-17 is rather young to be having the experiences they get. I think that's one of the points Knowles is trying to make witht his book; that war rcquires you to grow up quicker.