Goodreads Malaysia discussion

Arkib > KBABKB Jun 2009: To Kill A Mockingbird [SUDAH BACA]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Najibah, Penterjemah yang mencintai kata-kata (new)

Najibah Abu Bakar (najabakar) | 2843 comments Mod
Bagi yang sudah membaca, kongsikan pendapat tentang buku ini di thread ini...

message 2: by Khairul Hezry, I hate people but not you. You, I like. (last edited Jun 06, 2009 06:13AM) (new)

Khairul Hezry | 2357 comments Mod
Lauded as the great American novel, Harper Lee wrote this masterpiece and then stopped writing anything else. I must confess I saw the movie first before reading the source material.

This book, in my opinion, isn't so much about racism in the American Deep South in the '30s as it is the relationship between a widower and his children.

Atticus Finch (who will always look and sound like Gregory Peck to me because I saw the movie first) is the father that all men should strive to be. Intelligent, principled and brave, he defends a black man accused of rape and murder even though he knows there is a slim to none chance of an acquittal. But that is the one thing that I find unrealistic: a black man who is accused of rape and murder is brought to trial??? If you look at the history of the American South in the period before the enactment of the Civil Liberties Act, blacks suspected of a crime were lynched from the nearest tree by white mobs almost daily. They never bothered with a trial. They would just find a rope and a tall tree and be done with it.

message 3: by miaomiao (new)

miaomiao (ajeep) | 155 comments read it a long time ago, can't remember how it went, but i do remember it was one of the best books i've ever read. i like books with legal theme, so this book really suits me.

message 4: by Najmuddin, Tok Mudin (new)

Najmuddin (mudin001) | 998 comments Mod
ajeep wrote: "read it a long time ago, can't remember how it went, but i do remember it was one of the best books i've ever read. i like books with legal theme, so this book really suits me."

Untuk komen saya, baca komen ajeep di atas sepenuhnya. Ya, saya juga peminat legal thriller (baca: John Grisham). Jadi buku ini sesuai dengan saya.

message 5: by Khairul Hezry, I hate people but not you. You, I like. (last edited Jun 07, 2009 04:23PM) (new)

Khairul Hezry | 2357 comments Mod
Good as it was, I for one could not get past the ridiculousness of having a trial for a black man accused of rape and murder of a white girl in the 1930s. It just seemed unrealistic when in fact a lot of black men in the American Deep South were lynched by angry white mobs simply for looking at a white girl. They didn't waste time with a trial.

message 6: by Najibah, Penterjemah yang mencintai kata-kata (last edited Jun 08, 2009 02:30PM) (new)

Najibah Abu Bakar (najabakar) | 2843 comments Mod
Khairul, when you said about lynched black men, it reminds me of The Great Debater, the movie in which a scene of lynched Negro hanged on a tree were one among many that touched my conscience deeply. But not as fluent as I should be on American history, I failed to connect it with the Atticus story until you alerted it here. A good point I think.

However since I read To Kill a Mockingbird more than five years ago, like Ajeep, I couldn't really make much recollection of the facts and all, but on the emotional and entertainment side, it did left sweet taste in the mind and soul.

message 7: by Isma (new)

Isma | 682 comments Tadi baru pegang buku ini, tapi tak beli,hati tak tergerak nak beli, lagi pun 320 Baht.Poket makin kosong.

message 8: by Yati (new)

Yati | 229 comments I read this in school -- everyone in our class got one copy each from the "reading box". It wasn't required reading, though, so many of us didn't even bother opening the book. I was one of the crazy ones who couldn't just not read a book that was given to me, haha.

Anyway. I was young enough (14, maybe?) to be horrified that Tom Robinson died anyway. I vaguely remember getting to the end and having a revelation -- the whole book is actually the story of how Jem broke his arm. :D

The article on Wiki is quite interesting as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Kill_... -- Dill is based on Truman Capote, who was Lee's best friend. :O

Faizah Roslaini | 825 comments Mod
Thread To Kill a Mockingbird akan dimasukkan ke dalam archive. Thread ini juga boleh diakses dari paparan individu buku tersebut.